How much do you pay for the internet?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Spectrum $70 out the door for 400mbps. I shake my head when i think a couple years ago i was paying $110 for trash 10mb dsl from Windstream. But when you got a monopoly in dsl coverage i guess that tends to happen. It should be illegal to charge that much and the best part they were overselling so about 8pm we had speeds crawling sometimes under 3mb. Isn't that nice?

NEVER again with DSL.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
All Spectrum internet plans include modem in the service. Of course, they allow you to use your own modem but you're not avoiding any fees.

thanks..i know it was that way when I was on Comcast and Time Warner...

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
Comcast $70 for 1gb/40mb
I live in a Google Fiber city but it's not available at my address :/ however Comcast still has a pretty good price on their (inferior) 1gbps service. I mean it's not terrible, honestly.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
$120, "25 mbps", unlimited

Average speed is closer to 10 mbps.

Tell your wife to STFU.

Everything is the same except the speed kept getting worse so I complained that if I wanted shitty overpriced service I would go to AT&T. They came out and pointed me at another tower so now I am getting steady 32 mbps on the same 25 mbps plan.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Paying ~$60/mo. right now for gigabit uncapped fiber including nation-wide free land-line phone. Sonic.net, Berkeley, CA. They finally rolled it out to my neighborhood. So, my <5Mbps DSL is just a painful memory I'll be recovering from for a while!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I pay about $125/month for about 60 Mbps internet and HD extended cable. Provider is Spectrum.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
About $65. When I lived in Thailand I paid $15USD. In South Korea about $20USD.

I miss cheap internet. :(

Nov 17, 2019
How much do you pay for the internet?

Nothing. The internet is free. The DSL connection to get to the internet costs me about $60/mo.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I was paying $15 a month through Spectrum. Though I got a letter saying they tried as hard as they possibly could to negotiate on my behalf with the television networks to keep my costs low , but that in the end they had no choice but to raise my internet $5.
(I cut the cord five years ago in favor of streaming)

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
$85 for 20Mbps uncapped through a local fixed wireless provider.
It’s a lot better than the previous $105 for phone and 3.5mbps DSL I was paying from Frontier)

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
All Spectrum internet plans include modem in the service. Of course, they allow you to use your own modem but you're not avoiding any fees.
Yep. They were pretty sneaky about it too.

I remember back when I had more money and had the $40 a month plan for 20mpbs under Time Warner Cable. Time Warner charged a $10 rental fee for the modem every single month, which made it $50 total. I did the math and figured a Motorola SB6121 would pay for itself in six months and got one. Then when Spectrum bought out Time Warner, the modem was free! Except, the $40 internet plan under time warner was now $50 whether you had your own modem or not.

I hated Time Warner. But Spectrum is so much worse.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was paying $15 a month through Spectrum. Though I got a letter saying they tried as hard as they possibly could to negotiate on my behalf with the television networks to keep my costs low , but that in the end they had no choice but to raise my internet $5.
(I cut the cord five years ago in favor of streaming)
Wait, wait, you have a double-play, with Internet and TV?

Or just straight-up Internet ONLY?

And they raised their rates on internet only, $5/mo, because of negotiations with TV providers?

What a load of Shenanigans.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Except, the $40 internet plan under time warner was now $50 whether you had your own modem or not.
Yeah, that's pretty crappy of them.

I downgraded my FIOS from 1Gbit/sec to 200Mbit/sec, just to save $10/mo, to turn around and rent their new (newer than the several-year-old FIOS "Quantum Gateway" G1100, not even sure what the model number on this new one is. It's 802.11ax / Wifi 6) gateway. I wanted to rent it for a few months, to get a handle on it, and decide if I want to buy one.

Not sure if I even need it, as my wifi needs are largely taken care of by my AC68U-family routers (AiMesh for the win).

Then after doing that, I saw that BestBuy was offering some sort of, I think it was "AX58U" or something, an AX / Wifi 6 Asus router for under $200 for purchase. Silly me. If I had seen that, I would have kept my Gigabit speed FIOS, and not rented the Verizon AX router. Not that I have any AX clients anyways.

Edit: One thing that gave me pause about buying the AX58U, even thought it claims to support AiMesh, is what other routers that it will mesh with. Asus also offers a twin-pack of AX Mesh routers, and I want to know if I can use my AC68U routers as Mesh "slave" nodes, or if they have to all be AX now if you use an Asus AX router as your "master" Mesh node.

Edit: I pay around $125/mo for internet, for both FIOS and my "backup" internet connection.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Wait, wait, you have a double-play, with Internet and TV?

Or just straight-up Internet ONLY?

And they raised their rates on internet only, $5/mo, because of negotiations with TV providers?

What a load of Shenanigans.
Double play? No. I do everything through my desktop as I have a 65" and game/browse watch from my couch. So for the last five years I streamed netflix on my computer, then I got prime student for the shipping and got prime video along with it. That along with Youtube was all I ever needed content.

Spectrum was basically sending out a canned response to explain why they were hiking prices needlessly, overlooking the fact that I didn't even have cable. If anything, internet becomes cheaper to provide with time but they want more and more. Spectrum is apparently so vile that I got a $60 credit because of a settlement they had with NYS when they basically broke all their promises they made to get their merger rubber stamped.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
$110 for 500/50 (600/40) from WOW! (Wide Open West). I have to beg them for a discount, which brings it down to $100 instead. I'm just biding my time until fiber comes down my way, which will probably be around Q1 2020.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
$130.00 per month for a land line and 15 meg (!!!) DSL. A major rip off IMO, and a major point of contention with my wife. I would much prefer to get a mobile plan for 2 lines, ditch the land line (while telling QWest to fuck themselves), and get cable internet. She for some reason wants to keep the land line. And worst of all the land line/DSL price just keeps creeping up every month by a couple of dollars while the internet gets slower and slower.

Nov 20, 2009
$130.00 per month for a land line and 15 meg (!!!) DSL. A major rip off IMO, and a major point of contention with my wife. I would much prefer to get a mobile plan for 2 lines, ditch the land line (while telling QWest to fuck themselves), and get cable internet. She for some reason wants to keep the land line. And worst of all the land line/DSL price just keeps creeping up every month by a couple of dollars while the internet gets slower and slower.
Why can't you replace the land line with VoIP? Even without a paid-for land line the act physical line can still process 911 calls.