How much do you charge for housecalls to fix PCs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
i do it for free but i'm just helping family mostly. i'm in high school so it isn't a job but i suppose i could start. for family i do it for free. others i might charge.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Holy sh¡t. I charge $10/hr, and I have a year of admin work and WAY more than 5 years under my belt (remember DOS 3.3 and MFM hard drives?), but my marketing strategy (word of mouth) sucks ass. Maybe I should charge $20/hr (rounding up) and put an ad in the paper. (I'd drive around town for free if I could afford it. I love driving.)

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
Holy sh¡t. I charge $10/hr, and I have a year of admin work and WAY more than 5 years under my belt (remember DOS 3.3 and MFM hard drives?), but my marketing strategy (word of mouth) sucks ass. Maybe I should charge $20/hr (rounding up) and put an ad in the paper. (I'd drive around town for free if I could afford it. I love driving.)

10 bucks an hour!?! That is nothing, holy sh!t. If you're in So Cal, I will pay you $25 an hour to do my customers :)

I can't speak on your abilities, but if you charge 10 bucks an hour and word of mouth ain't working? I don't know what to tell you. I live in So Cal,, I charge $48 and almost everyone I do work has told at least one person how reasonable I am. If I charged only $10 I'd probably work 24/7. Even $20 is cheap, well depending on where you live. I'd say $20 would be LOW, if you're good at fixing pc's, you can make mucho bucks man.