How much do people charge to cut the grass these days?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I used to charge $15 for the front and $15 for the back when I would do it for the neighbors.

melchoir

Nov 3, 2002
100x100 lot, $70/month. Mow/Weedeat/Edge, blows clippings off the property into the empty land on each side. Comes every week.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
We have a small lawn (don't know the measurements), but our guy charges $20 per cut... he comes maybe twice a month during the summer...

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I can go about a mile away and find a street lined with Mexicans who will provide any yard maintenance for $20/day. This can include a multitude of landscaping, moving, whatever so long as i provide the tools. You just have to know a little Spanish for what you want to do (or know a friend that does). The guys are all really nice and respectful and do actually a fairly good job as most of them have been doing it for years.
The funny thing is most of these guys wont take your money unless they do a job, yet a little ways further down the street are homeless guys who want nothing more than money for some 'food' and will absolutely not do any work for it except for the work they do following you through parking lots/standing on a corner. Makes me wonder sometimes about who we should be deporting...

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I can go about a mile away and find a street lined with Mexicans who will provide any yard maintenance for $20/day. This can include a multitude of landscaping, moving, whatever so long as i provide the tools. You just have to know a little Spanish for what you want to do (or know a friend that does). The guys are all really nice and respectful and do actually a fairly good job as most of them have been doing it for years.
The funny thing is most of these guys wont take your money unless they do a job, yet a little ways further down the street are homeless guys who want nothing more than money for some 'food' and will absolutely not do any work for it except for the work they do following you through parking lots/standing on a corner. Makes me wonder sometimes about who we should be deporting...

Maybe we should deport you for paying a guy $20 per day for an honest days work?

:Disgust;

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: bctbct

Maybe we should deport you for paying a guy $20 per day for an honest days work?

:Disgust;

Yeah that's true for an actual whole day $50 would be a lot more fair but it's still better than the $0 they get if no one picks them up that day.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
I do gutters on the side. $40 per 30min. Well that's what it usually takes to do a 2-2.4k sq ft home around here ;)

.5 acre lawn cut + weed trim= $50.00

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001

The thing is, if they do the job, it's usually half-assed and you wind up doing it yourself. I've worked with Mexicans and they've not a clue. They fake they know what they're doing that day, then you have to teach them all over again on how to do the job they did yesterday!
I have frozen burritos but they're all mine! MINE MINE MINE! Microwave burritos are good :confused:

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: CorCentral
The thing is, if they do the job, it's usually half-assed and you wind up doing it yourself. I've worked with Mexicans and they've not a clue. They fake they know what they're doing that day, then you have to teach them all over again on how to do the job they did yesterday!
I have frozen burritos but they're all mine! MINE MINE MINE! Microwave burritos are good :confused:
Just depends who you get then, I think usually I'll take someone with a good attitude over aptitude, because the one with a good attitude that is willing to work will bust his ass to be able to get paid and go home feeling happy of himself.

If you're looking for a skilled worker, then you might be in the wrong place unless you want to train him for the long term. It's really no different than getting an unskilled high school aged kid that is willing to work for money.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Just depends who you get then, I think usually I'll take someone with a good attitude over aptitude, because the one with a good attitude that is willing to work will bust his ass to be able to get paid and go home feeling happy of himself.

If you're looking for a skilled worker, then you might be in the wrong place unless you want to train him for the long term. It's really no different than getting an unskilled high school aged kid that is willing to work for money.

I totally understand. This is why I do my own work now. When I reach 75-80 years old, I may hire someone............ but hell, we're talking 40+ years here ;)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
You cut my grass and i'll beat you into a bloody pulp :|

I assume 'cutting someone's grass' has the same meaning over there? ;)