How much do custom license plates usually cost?

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
I live in Hawaii, so just shoot me an estimate, or who I should call.

Last time I heard the prices were like in the $100.00 range? True? No? Let me know, thanks guys! You guys are always a big help to me!

stonerdave

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2000
it varies state-to-state, i think.

i've seen many more people in Illinois that have them than in Michigan, so i'm assuming they're cheaper over there. then again, maybe everyone here in MI is just really poor. ;)

YisSerL

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2000
It's $40 for the initial processing fee, and additional $25 annual fee added to your registration fee.

I'm in California, so don't know about Hawaii.

marketsons1985

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2000
I'm buying a cutsom plate this weekend, gotta go down and order it, it's 30 bucks for the normal one.

I live in Michigan, and there's 3 different plates, for just the base blue one, it's 30 bucks.

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
Heh, I'm getting (HOPEFULLY) Son Goku!

My son's name is Goku.

I seen someone with Freiza, so I told my girlfriend, hey look at that... Let's get Son Goku?

She was all excited LOL.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What ever you do, don't get a personal plate that says what your car is. I saw a guy in a red corvette the other day with the plate "RedVtte" on it. Why? Like we didn't know it was a red Vette he was driving he had to put it on the plate?

YisSerL

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2000

<< What ever you do, don't get a personal plate that says what your car is. I saw a guy in a red corvette the other day with the plate &quot;RedVtte&quot; on it. Why? Like we didn't know it was a red Vette he was driving he had to put it on the plate? >>

Well, depend on what car it is, I once saw a BMW Z8 on the highway with the custom plates...guess what: &quot;BLACK Z8&quot; But the car alone caught my attention already..so the plate didn't do it's thing. But I did remember it though. ;)

YisSerL

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2000

<< Only $15 in MI :) >>

Guess the price for everything is higher for us Californians... :|

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
In Texas (Houston) it's $40 for processing which includes 1 year of registration then it's $40 plus whatever your annual registration fee is. Processing takes between 4-6 weeks then they send you an approval letter with a date on when you can pick-up your new personalized plate.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Varies quite a bit state to state. Mo &amp; Fl are about $15 for initial app and $15 a year with regular registration for just basic lettering. Custom plates like schools, military and so forth cost more.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ouch, just looked it up on the State of MN web site and personalized plates here are $100 + the standard plate fee. :(

This damn state just wants to bleed everyone dry. :|