how much cash/greenbacks do you keep in emergencies?

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
just wondering how much u guys keep in stash when SHTF.

my gf thinks $1000 is too much in cash to have on me.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
If things go so wrong I can't get money out of the ATM, I don't think money is going to be much use anyway...

What do you anticipate needing $1000 in cash for?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Atheus
If things go so wrong I can't get money out of the ATM, I don't think money is going to be much use anyway...

beer and weed money?

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I'd really like to hear this situation where SHTF so bad that your CC wont work, ATM's wont work, and you cant wait a day to get to the bank :confused:
I mean are we like at the end of days or something here? cause if thats the case I'm just looting...

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: BudAshes

beer and weed money?

That's a lot of beer or weed.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BudAshes

beer and weed money?

Actually I just thought of something - what if all your assets are frozen and you have to flee the country?

Gregshin is clearly an international fraudster and likely a mafia hitman.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I'd really like to hear this situation where SHTF so bad that your CC wont work, ATM's wont work, and you cant wait a day to get to the bank :confused:
I mean are we like at the end of days or something here? cause if thats the case I'm just looting...

You lose your wallet/get account frozen and its after banking hours.

I keep a few hundred on hand just in case.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Scouzer
I usually have $0... other than my cup of coins. I don't believe in cash.

I hate cash as much as the next guy, but what about places that only take cash?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
You mean to carry around on you all the time just in case? DUde, that's what ATMs and Debit Cards are for.

I rarely have more than $50 on me at any time. Usually I'm lucky ot have $1 since I never use cash for anything.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
In all honesty 3-4K because I don't like to have to rely on a bank if I have to get chunks of cash quickly or when they're closed.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
In all honesty 3-4K because I don't like to have to rely on a bank if I have to get chunks of cash quickly or when they're closed.

How often do you randomly need more than $500 in cash and can't wait for the bank to open? With CCs, you don't need to have huge amounts of cash just lying around, and you don't have to worry about not earning interest on your money.

Nov 7, 2000
i like to carry ~60, but usually fluctuates 20-200. i usually carry more around now that im not spending a lot of cash for my lunches

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005

It is....but it's your money.

Unless you're looking for dope deals, 2 -3 hundred + CCs will get ya outta just about anything.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Old Hippie

It is....but it's your money.

Unless you're looking for dope deals, 2 -3 hundred + CCs will get ya outta just about anything.

/thread

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

How about a lost wallet where CCs and ATM card disappear and need to be cancelled?

I keep $500 in cash at home and in my car I keep another $80 in cash and $20 in quarters. I've never needed the home money and likely never will, but it's nice to know it's there. The car money has come in handy several times where I've been weather-stranded, low on cash and nowhere near an ATM.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Massive telecom system failure is all it would take. And even though banks would probably be open, would they fork over cash to people if the bank had no way to verify the customer had money in the account? Not that such a thing would last for weeks, but I prefer to have some cash on hand just in case it took a few days.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I don't intentionally keep any around. I really only take cash out when I go to a bar, then it floats in my wallet til it gets used.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

How about a lost wallet where CCs and ATM card disappear and need to be cancelled?

I keep $500 in cash at home and in my car I keep another $80 in cash and $20 in quarters. I've never needed the home money and likely never will, but it's nice to know it's there. The car money has come in handy several times where I've been weather-stranded, low on cash and nowhere near an ATM.

That's why you never keep ALL your CC/ATM cards in one wallet. I only keep the essential cards in my wallet at any given time. There is nothing wrong with keeping a few hundred bucks for emergency situations where you can't use a CC, but keeping thousands in cash stored under a mattress somewhere seems kinda silly.

Originally posted by: kranky

Massive telecom system failure is all it would take. And even though banks would probably be open, would they fork over cash to people if the bank had no way to verify the customer had money in the account? Not that such a thing would last for weeks, but I prefer to have some cash on hand just in case it took a few days.

Has there ever been a precedent set of this happening? I'm sure they have to have a decent set of backup systems at a bank.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
0 cash, but i have an emergency savings acct w/ $3k in it. if SHTF i will usually just use my credit cards and hopefully whatever it was less than $3k