How much cardio is too much? (Within the realms of a balanced workout)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Thanks to diet and exercise, I've lost about 40 pounds since January. I'm curious about how much cardio is too much. Today I did 90 minutes on the elliptical machine. It said that I burned 1150 calories. I don't know whether I believe that or not, but I just got so damned bored on the thing. I could have kept going, but my mind was numb.

If I'm only going for fat loss (belly fat), is there any limit to how much I should do? Should I do it to exhaustion?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
If you have a heart attack and die, it was too much. Cut a minute off your routine.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
You can get sick if you over do it. Not that it directly causes it, but too much stress is bad. I doubt you could really hurt yourself though. You still eat good? full meals?

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I doubt you'll die from 90 minutes of cardio if you do it regularly. I used to have basketball practice for 3-4 hours at a time with constant running.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I doubt you'll die from 90 minutes of cardio if you do it regularly. I used to have basketball practice for 3-4 hours at a time with constant running.

I guess I shouldn't say "too much", but what about diminishing returns?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
You would probably get much more benefit from 30-40 minutes (at higher intensity) 3-4 times a week than you would from 90 minutes 1-2 times a week.

Have you been monitoring your resting pulse rate? If it's elevated even during times of rest I've read that that's a pretty good indication of overexertion. Pay attention to your body, more than anything.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
for max fat burning you want to keep your heart rate ~ 140 (for a 20-30 year old male) for as long as you can. the first 20-30 minutes you don't burn fat.

i do 3 cardio workouts a week. 60 minute sets with sustained hr ~145 average.
my machine says its about 1500 calories / 430 fat calories..

are you tracking your heartrate? for maximize fat burning you should.. you should be sweating lots. :p

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
Do a mix of activity and you'll just naturally be lean, a good majority of being lean is diet, eat the right foods and do the right activities and you'll be set in no time. I lift, sprint hills, jog, etc to stay in shape.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Balt
You would probably get much more benefit from 30-40 minutes (at higher intensity) 3-4 times a week than you would from 90 minutes 1-2 times a week.

Have you been monitoring your resting pulse rate? If it's elevated even during times of rest I've read that that's a pretty good indication of overexertion. Pay attention to your body, more than anything.

I was thinking more like 90 minutes 4-5 times per week. I'm willing to do whatever it takes within reason. Yes, I sweat like crazy when I work out. It's absurd. My heart rate stays around 145. I've felt fine all day, no ill effects that I can tell. I'm a little sleepy, but I didn't get much sleep last night.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Balt

I was thinking more like 90 minutes 4-5 times per week. I'm willing to do whatever it takes within reason. Yes, I sweat like crazy when I work out. It's absurd. My heart rate stays around 145.

Try to ramp up your workouts progressively, not with huge leaps at a time. Even though an elliptical is going to be easier on your knees than running, you can still injure yourself. Your target heart rate depends on your age, but you probably already know about that.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, and not just water. Drinking a lot of water but no electrolytes can actually make things worse by flushing out more of the minerals and nutrients that keep a person balanced. If you've got a healthy diet and you've already eaten that day you can probably get away with just drinking water, though.

flyfish

Oct 23, 2000
Just keep doing what you are doing. You should not loose more than 3 lbs./week. You really can't do too much cardio. Lance Armstrong is still alive. Just work your way up to it.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Thanks to diet and exercise, I've lost about 40 pounds in January. I'm curious about how much cardio is too much. Today I did 90 minutes on the elliptical machine. It said that I burned 1150 calories. I don't know whether I believe that or not, but I just got so damned bored on the thing. I could have kept going, but my mind was numb.

If I'm only going for fat loss (belly fat), is there any limit to how much I should do? Should I do it to exhaustion?

For fat loss, you would probably be better off doing higher intensity, lower duration sessions. They elevate your metabolism in the hours after the workout, which burns more calories. Google HIIT (high intensity interval training) for more info.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
90 minutes? I get bored after 15.. :(

Yeah, I'm seriously considering getting a portable DVD player and taking some Seinfeld or something with me. I love the feeling of working out, but staring off into the distance isn't that fun. The NASA gym doesn't attract that many babes.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Thanks to diet and exercise, I've lost about 40 pounds in January. I'm curious about how much cardio is too much. Today I did 90 minutes on the elliptical machine. It said that I burned 1150 calories. I don't know whether I believe that or not, but I just got so damned bored on the thing. I could have kept going, but my mind was numb.

When I used to go to a gym, I would usually do 1hr on an elliptical and it would tell me I did 1000 calories, which is about right.

Perhaps, as others have said, you might want to think about ramping up a bit? If not for burning more calories, then at least cutting your gym time by 20-30 minutes.

And congrats on the weight loss.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Now here's a question about heart rate ...

At my age (29), the chart on the machine says I should be aiming for a 160 heart rate while doing cardio but I usually hot 175-180 easily

Is that good or bad?

I'm not fat ... just some belly flab

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: flyfish
Just keep doing what you are doing. You should not loose more than 3 lbs./week. You really can't do too much cardio. Lance Armstrong is still alive. Just work your way up to it.

Exactly what I was going to say. Some of us like to bike ride 6-8 hours in a day and we're still here. :D Also, yes, losing weight dramatically is not necessarily good.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: oboeguy
Exactly what I was going to say. Some of us like to bike ride 6-8 hours in a day and we're still here. :D Also, yes, losing weight dramatically is not necessarily good.
I don't see how you do it. Bike riding is painful.

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
There is a limit to the calorie deficit one can have day in and day out while losing weight and remain healthy. I forget what is or how to calculate it but ya. Google safe calorie deficit or something.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: getbush
There is a limit to the calorie deficit one can have day in and day out while losing weight and remain healthy. I forget what is or how to calculate it but ya. Google safe calorie deficit or something.

Dunno what it means to "remain healthy" exactly but most people say to take your number of required maintenance calories and drop that by 300-500 a day and roll with it.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Screw cardio :p When I gain another 25 pounds I'll start back up on the cardio train. Might be a year or two ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: getbush

Dunno what it means to "remain healthy" exactly but most people say to take your number of required maintenance calories and drop that by 300-500 a day and roll with it.

It said I need 2787.5 calories to maintain my current weight assuming I'm sedentary. That sounds like way too many. That might be why I've lost so much weight though.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
I think the only thing you should be worried about is burning out...I can't imagine keeping that up for very long...maybe try some different cardio? mix it up a bit?
But if you can keep it up, then more power to ya, I'm sure the weight will keep coming off. Wish I could stand cardio @ a gym for that long...20-30 mins is my max before I cant stand the bordem. Dont have that problem lifting, but cardio is so mind numbing to me.