How much alcohol will they serve you on a plane, and what is the cost?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hate flying, yet I have to fly to Tampa tomorrow. How drunk can I get before and during the plane trip? What are the prices for the airplane(generally speaking) and at the airport bars?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Millennium
I hate flying, yet I have to fly to Tampa tomorrow. How drunk can I get before and during the plane trip? What are the prices for the airplane(generally speaking) and at the airport bars?

According to the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations), the flight attendants can stop serving you as soon as they think you're intoxicated. You're not allowed to bring your own alcohol on the plane either ;)
Edit: don't get hammered before you get on the plane either, they have the right to refuse to carry you if they believe you are intoxicated when you try to board the plane.

JBAR

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 1999
Airport bars are usually pretty expensive, 7 bucks for a drink. On the plane it's usually around 4 bucks, but you have to wait for the cart to come by or go to the galley when it's not around, and then the stewardess will not have change and will have to owe you.

I have personally taken my own bottle on board and sneaked a few shots into the free soft drinks they serve.

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
No limit on flights to Japan...:D Free, too.

But then, it could just be the Japanese airlines.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
To Tampa? From Bham? Isn't that like an hour flight? I doubt they'd even have alcoholic drinks on that flight. You'll be lucky to get a complimentary 4oz glass of soda.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: vi_edit
To Tampa? From Bham? Isn't that like an hour flight? I doubt they'd even have alcoholic drinks on that flight. You'll be lucky to get a complimentary 4oz glass of soda.

I don't want to pay the 800 bucks to have a direct flight. I have to go BHM to ATL to Tampa with a nice layover in between. Trust me, I hate flying with a passion. I leave at 5 but don't get their until around 10.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: MadCowDisease
No limit on flights to Japan...:D Free, too.

But then, it could just be the Japanese airlines.

Many international flights offer free alcohol. United does for sure anyway.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You'll be certain to fork over some dimp if you want to get lit at the airport. Figure $3.50-$5.00 for a bottle of beer, $5 for a shot, $5-$7 for a mixed drink.

On the plane it's probably around $4 a can for beer, or the same for a 2oz runner of jim/jack/bacardi/smirnoff/tanquery

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
those prices are not at all expensive........ any bar i've ever been to charges a bit more than that.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: masterxfob
those prices are not at all expensive........ any bar i've ever been to charges a bit more than that.

Look at where you live, then compare it to where VI and I live.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: masterxfob

bars around here i will run you 2.50 a shot, except for 1.50 wells night, oh and dollar domestics nightmmmmm

iirc when i got some jack daniels on my last flight it was 4.50

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
when i do detroit amstedam or newark prague, its free and w/o limits :)

oh yeah they dont care about age either, they gave me baileys even back when i was ~15

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Never been stopped before on a plane. Hell, I've never even been carded on a plane. By the way first class = free drinks.:)

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
dulles 2 heathrow / british airways = :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I had 3 drinks in an hour flight. It was a REAL empty fight and I had 12 Southwest airline coupons. 1 coupon = $1. I used up all 12.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium
Heh -

My friend and I flew from JFK to LAX for a conference. The plane was delayed at the gate for a couple of hours and they were handing out free drinks to keep the natives from getting restless. We were both pretty tuned in when we got to LA!

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Stojakapimp
AFAIK, all international flights serve free alcoholic beverages. At least the major airlines.

Noton all airlines. I flew Indianapolis - Frankfurt on Delta and they were charging $4.00 per drink. Their food was CRAP too.

I really hate flying too, but in my experience booze never helped...... Just bring a walkman and think happy thoughts.
Worked for me the times i flew from Cincinnati to Central America....

Did I mention that I HATE FLYING!

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I actually have first hand experience on this.

They sell a small bottle(like 1oz) of hard liquor for $4 or $5. Get a free coke and you have yourself rum and coke all you want.
On a recent flight....a friend of mine(who is obnoxious when hes drunk) was doing this and I couldn't stand it anymore.
So I told the flight attentant that he already had 4 drinks at the airport and 2 here so they shouldn't serve him anymore.
But they didn't listen to me and kept on serving him.
Their reasoning is that he didn't look intoxicated.

So to answer your question....order as much as you want as long as you pretend you're fine :)

IEatChildren

Jul 4, 2003
I may be weird, but I like flying.
And I like scotch, but they usually won't give you the good kind on a flight.