How many times have you contiplated suicide?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
Ive contemplated suicide many times. Mostly while driving. Just drop your foot on the gas pedal, and let go of the steering wheel, its that simple.

But then I think about how my mom would react to it (not well, Im afraid. She takes everything hard, and that would push her way over the edge to something even Ive never seen) how my sister would react to it (this would be even more volatile than my mother...*shudder*) how my friends would react to it, though Im sure they would recover rather quickly. Im told Im a great guy, but I dont believe it. Im just a jackass like everyone else. But one of the greatest thoughts in my mind is...Im stubborn by breeding, and theres no way I will let the devil beat me.

So I drive home, veg out to whatever music I can get in the cd player, and cry myself to sleep.

and I dont even know why Im typing this here on this forum. No one here wants to hear about my peice of sh*t life. Its not even that bad by some standards, but I cant imagine a hell that would be much worse, at least emotionally.

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
Never attempted it (too chickensh*t). But back in my angst-ridden high school years I thought about it and got pissed off a lot. Now I realize it was probably a hormonal imbalance or something. I don't want this to be taken the wrong way but I don't think there's anything wrong with contemplating suicide sometimes. We've been fed this BS about having high-esteem and positivism and being all gung-ho, but I look at the people who are like that and it makes me want to kill myself. Those years when I was contemplating suicide were some of the most insightful. In depression I was more conscientious, and looking back in my journal (I kept one then) I wrote some of my best observations. It's a thin line to walk but as Socrates said, the unexamined life isn't worth living.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
well, after reading this thread, i have decided to kill myself.

I'm going to light my farts and see if I can blow myself up. :)

C'mon people cheer up. Go buy something.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Twice seriously, with several more times as more of a fleeting thought.

First time was when I was 16. School sucked, work sucked, was unmotivated about schoolwork (read: grades sucked), parents were raggin on me about my grades. Smoked some weed and had a moment of "clarity". Went to the roof of our apartment complex and seriously considered jumping.....................

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
OK, I should add to my last post cuz I just reread it and it was starting to sound pathological. I am not advocating being constantly suicidal, much less killing yourself. I really hope I'm not giving the impression that it's OK to do so. I am just saying it helps to have a different perspective at times. I really appreciate life, even more so after an incident when I talked a friend of mine out of hurting herself. I'm just saying sometimes a balance is necessary. People who believe nothing is wrong all the time don't get what is really going on.

iamfried

Jan 28, 2001
littleprince

<< successes = 0 >>

Good information.

I gave it some real thought after moving out on my own (1500 miles from home) and being really lonely. The only thing that kept it from happening was the thought of what my parents would do.
But, if you look at some of the reasons people give for why they contemplated it (notice, I can't even say it) they are pretty small. I am not saying any of your problems are insignificant, it is just that most things are insignificant. Girl (guy) breaks up with you, what there are another 5 billion in the world to choose from. (Of course that's not to say it isn't worth the work to save a good thing)
Money? Some of the happiest people I have met are >$50,000 in debt, have a nowhere job, but still know that life is good.
My idea: Find things that keep you busy, socially active, and life turns out good.
GDub

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I think a lot of people have comtemplated it semi-seriously at least, though probably a considerably lesser number were actually quite serious about it.

Myself I've contemplated it... well, for years. And I've attempted it unsuccessfully twice.

For myself, anti-depressents and the like are the main reason I am still alive. I suspect many people that have prolonged preferences and hopes for suicide/death may likely have a serious clinical depressive disorder.
In such cases they may do well seeing a doctor and perhaps a psychiatrist as well.

I know anti depressents have helped me considerably in the last few years, though of course they are by no means a miracle cure.

casimec

Mar 15, 2000
All the time. What makes me stay here it's that I still looking for pros and cons. I think how it would be, but no one know what it is on the other side. a lot of people do it to get attention, that's something i will not do. I have a couple of friends that i had to convince no to commit suicide and it's ironic cause i think about it all the time. Well, no one knows what the future ahve reserved for all of us, until then i will celebrate what i call &quot;the last days&quot;.

pulpp

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
yes, think about it from time to time...

no need to list what my problems are

tried it seriously a couple of times, and like others said, while driving on the highway with every coming bridge, i would toy with the gas pedal thinking about just flooring it and slamming into the bridge

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
A few....But now I realize how good I had it, and that I'd do anything to go back to those &quot;hard times&quot;. :(

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000

<< how my friends would react to it, though Im sure they would recover rather quickly. Im told Im a great guy, but I dont believe it. Im just a jackass like everyone else. >>

Swag1138,

Ive known you since 4th grade man, and I don't know how other friends would react but I for one would be hurt bad. You unlike some people remain that same &quot;great guy&quot; as you said. Even if you don't believe it, you are! :) You are always there for your friends and I guess thats why you have remained one of my best friends for such along time.

Cheer up bud-dy :D,

Ron

Cooltech2k

Banned
Feb 9, 2001
I Think about it weekly.... Seriously not often...

&amp; I have had enough attempts to of spent my fair share of time in charter mental health care center in vegas, &amp; to have a lifetime supply of Zoloft (well atleast I would if I ever took it)

I Havent tried in a long while &amp; The thoughts arent strong anymore... Just whenever I Get down I think of whatever and whoever has made me happy lately.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I've contiplated suicide more times than I could ever count. I'm always serious about it when I consider it too. I've only seriously attempted it twice. And I currently have no doubts that when I finally do die it'll be by suicide, I know one day I just won't be able to convince myself I have a reason left to live and I'll do it and that'll be the end.

This is the end, my only friend the end.

Smbu

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2000
semi-seriously several times
seriously a couple of times
0 attempts, though

gygheyzeus

Golden Member
May 3, 2001
a lot of people have thought about it at some point, myself included. its just like when you're angry. at that moment, it may seem like the only option (being angry, you may want to yell and scream at someone, when in actuality, having a cool head is probably better)... the feeling will pass.

if it doesn't, i'd seriously think about talking to someone about it.

potatoo

Mar 12, 2001
thought about it many times... since i still don't know what the hell i exist for... but i have yet to find a way that's painless and doesn't leave a mess

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I think at some point in life everyone asks themselves, &quot;what if I weren't here?&quot; Or, &quot;How would things be different if...&quot;

Personally though I've never attempted nor even considered suicide. Why? I think that no matter what your situation is, somewhere, someone else is going through something 10 times worse and coping with it. If they're that strong, shouldnt you be able to be that strong too? Thats completely neglecting how selfish suicide is. When it comes down to it suicide is for the weak, and I'm not ever going to admit that I'm weak.