How many satisfied Audi owners do we have out there?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Ok, I'm looking into a new car, but the girlfriend realy, realy is against me getting an Audi.

I'm looking at an A4 because of it's price and the quatro AWD features. I'll be doing a lot of driving on very steep, sometimes snow covered hills this winter and think that the AWD feature would be very useful.

I've also had several family members/friends tell me about the high reliability of an Audi.

I was looking at a VW Passat, but saw that a year or two old A4 was around the same price range. That really has my eye.

Does anybody own an A4 and really recommend it?

Thanks in advance.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
thats funny cause my gf totally is horny about audis for some reason - they are sexy cars. I think they are very nice looking, sophisicated and also have a reliable high-end reputation. With a new car you're just paying for that new car smell. '98 Audi versus a '00 Passat? Its a no-brainer, I think you know which one you need to buy.

BiB

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
DOnt own one, but my bro inlaw does. He has 1996 a4 manual transmition, very nice car, seems like a nice drive, pretty fast, and visually pleasing.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeh, I'm really looking for reliability. If I buy this car, it will have to be something that I stick with for a long time/high miles.

The car that I have now, I've put 6000 miles on in the last 3 months. I drive a lot for work and want a nice car/reliable car to drive.

Like I said in the original post, I want something that will handle well in the nasty winter conditions as well.

I'm looking at around 25K so a year or two old A4 would fit that bill.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Well vi_edit seriously if you want a nice "nasty weather" car that is going to be reliable I would honestly say an Audi or something like a newish Subaru is what you want. I'm driving an impreza outback right now, its a bad-boy in the snow, but for $25k you should get the audi. It really seems to fit the bill for your requirements.

BiB

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeh, she likes the subaru outbacks (sedans, not wagons). But I really don't because they have zero leg room. I've sat in them and can't get my knees under them no matter how low I drop the seat and raise the stearing wheel :(

I actually really like the looks of the subaru's as well. I just can't fit into the Japanese car cockpits comfortably.

The german cars seem to be a little more forgiving.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Well if not for the terrible lack of horsepower in the Legacy Outback (I think most you can get here is 165 horsepower) sedans I'd want one badly, they look so nasty (I mean that in a good way). Now I'm driving my mother's 145 horsepower Impreza outback (wagon unfortunately) automatic (ouch, the 0-60 is about 11 seconds). The leg room isn't the best, but its a pretty nice car. A friend of my gf's thinks the outbacks are the best looking cars around, the real problem is they lack horsepower though. The legacy really needs more than 165 horsepower, add another 50 or so and it would be a wicked buy. Subaru makes such terribly nice rally vehicles too, if only we lived in Japan we'd have the power we need...

Get yourself an Audi, I still hope to convince my girlfriend to buy one. I'm gonna buy a "sporty" car like a civic SI and make her buy the lush rich looking car like the audi :)

BiB

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
well, our 1985 Audi 4000s quattro stopped the odometer somewhere around 240,000 miles. that was about ohhh 5 years ago. if you want high miles, you'll get it. our car has never had any major engine/drivetrain work, either. and it still runs great, even sounds pleasing still.

only problem, most of the little things go wrong, like power windows, sunroof, etc.

but if you want a car that'll drive forever, then get an audi. american cars just aren't built like this.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Dammmit! I know all of this...the problem is convincing her that the 25k that I'd drop on an Audi is worth it over a 15k brand spanking new chevy malibu :(

Also, she's never driven a stick so she doesn't know how much of a difference it makes in every day driving.

Damn women. Never understand why us men spend big bucks on nice cars :)

Keep the opinions coming. More fuel to fire :D

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
FIRST OF ALL, I've heard NOTHING good about malibus. They are all auto right? I've heard they are very badly built.

A standard saves on gas milage, transmission costs, and also increases power.

Ask her who looks cooler: the guy in the brand new malibu or the very slightly aged audi!!

Bib

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
My mom drives an '82 Audi 5000 and it only has minor problems(power windows and power locks)They are very reliable cars if you take care of them and stay away from the '84 to '92 5000's.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not officially driving an Audi, but my 1989 Volkswagen Fox GL was designed and built by Audi (it even has the Audi symbol on the windows and the engine). The odometer broke awhile ago (design flaw in the Fox), but it's easily over 220,000 miles right now. I had a previous one, a 1988 Fox wagon, that went up to 230,000 before it became too much trouble. My current one is still going strong with minor leaks here and there, but it's hard to argue with two cars that both went well over 200,000 miles. Performance for such a little car is remarkably good.

If I could afford Audi, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

[edit]You would have to beat me severely and threaten my family to make me drive a Chevy. I am not a big fan of GM cars at all since they tend to be big, heavy, and lacking refinement.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
"You would have to beat me severely and threaten my family to make me drive a Chevy"
Lol!

ya, well...your father was a hampster, and your mother smelt of elderberries...silly english kiiiiiiiiinigits :p

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
You can keep your Corvette.I will take an Audi any day.

AndrewR,

If you look closely you will see that Audi emblem on Porsche as well as other VWs.I have actually seen a real Audi Fox though.

JettaJack

Aug 9, 2000
If you got the $$$$$$ get a S4 fu*k the A4..........but if u don't get the Passat V6 with 4-motion plus tiptronic! its nice. Don't get a used Audi over an New Passat!!!!

gtbuzz

Dec 7, 1999
ehh, audi is styling is better than passat. and why would you want tiptronic? that's for for old ladies and girls. real men drive manuals.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Well, I was looking at pasasts, but with VW's base warranty, a year or two old Audi still has a better Warranty. They have a 5 year/50k mile warranty w/ 12 years of rust protection.

The VW's only have a base warranty of 2 years/24k miles, with the option of picking up an extented warranty for about a grand that takes your warranty up to 7 years/70k miles.

Also, I like the looks of the Audi better :) The Passat has too smooth of curves, the Audi is a little more edged and muscular.

Oh, anybody know what insurance would run on the A4 vs. a Monte Carlo Z34?

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
The insurance is probably about the same.Unless it is a huge difference go with the Audi.If I hear you went with the chevy because it was $100 less a year I am personally going to come up there and run into it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If ya do, just make sure you total it. That way I can cash in on it. I think I'd get more than it's worth. All the quicker that I could get the new wheels :)