How many people here have DVD burners? Do you record from cable/sat/TV?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I've been dying to get my hands on a DVD burner for the past 3 years and I think I'm finally ready to start looking around for one. I'm mainly interested in using it to archive my favorite TV shows so naturally that brings up the question how is the quality of the DVD disks?

Have you been able to play them on your DVD players?

And for the people who edit out commercials is it fairly painless?

How long does it take you to edit commercials out of a 1 hour program?

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
No, but I probably will just to download classics like seinfeld episodes and macgyver episodes to put on DVD SINCE THEY ARE NOT RELEASED ON DVD :mad;

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i think vcdhelp has a good database saying what kind of discs will play in what players. that said, i haven't had any problem with the fuji 4x dvd+rw discs i bought in my sony dvd player from early 2000

edit: the only things i've burned already had commercials removed

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
get ricohjpn for +R's and ritek G0x for -R's and you'll be fine for the most part. I've not had a problem with CMC's either for -R's

with dvd shrink and nero, backing up dvd's is so easy

i'm sure video editing is just as simple

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I have a question similar to this...

When burning those collection of videos (say they're now in standard MPEG-1 format)... there's no way to make them playable on a standalone, correct ? They have to be in DVD format ... is there a way to convert them all (maybe 10 mpgs = 4.5GB) into a dvd-playable format ? The only thing I've found is here which does .DAT to DVD... but I don't want to have to convert to .DAT first.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I have a Radeon 9700 Pro AIW and record cable television specials, like cool stuff on the History channel and Discovery channel.

I record it in MPEG DVD quality, then burn it using Nero. It's pretty easy. I use VirtualDub (MPEG2 Edition) to take out the commercials.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: edro13
I have a Radeon 9700 Pro AIW and record cable television specials, like cool stuff on the History channel and Discovery channel.

I record it in MPEG DVD quality, then burn it using Nero. It's pretty easy. I use VirtualDub (MPEG2 Edition) to take out the commercials.
Is there a guide for editing parts of a vid out in VirtualDub ? That program is one of the least intuitive I've ever used. I've managed to cut portions out and save that portion, but is there an easier way (like saving what's left instead of saving what's been cut) ?

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: edro13

what's the resolution of the recorded show?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: rh71

When burning those collection of videos (say they're now in standard MPEG-1 format)... there's no way to make them playable on a standalone, correct ? They have to be in DVD format ... is there a way to convert them all (maybe 10 mpgs = 4.5GB) into a dvd-playable format ? The only thing I've found is here which does .DAT to DVD... but I don't want to have to convert to .DAT first.

I'll take this one :) Checkout TMPGEnc from Pegasys and Main Concept's MPEG Encoder. Both great MPEG encoding programs that will allow you to convert most any format to true DVD format!

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
If you get a drive with Bitsetting support, you can set the book type to "DVD-ROM" on your burned disks, which will give you much greater compatibality with set-top players. Definatly look for a drive where you can do that, as it's a big plus.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: rh71

I'll take this one :) Checkout TMPGEnc from Pegasys and Main Concept's MPEG Encoder. Both great MPEG encoding programs that will allow you to convert most any format to true DVD format!
Thx... wasn't aware of this MPG encoder.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Yes, I have a DVD burner. No, I do not try to record from TV to it. It'd be nice if there was some freeware that could handle it though.