How many people actually use the microsoft login for Windows 10?

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Hey just got a Windows based machine for the first time in a few years. I skipped the whole microsoft login thing. Just curious if any of you guys use it and if so why? What are the benefits of using it? Maybe I'm just old fashioned...

Thanks! Let me know your thoughts!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I use it. One thing I like is that I use multiple devices and the integration with OneDrive I find handy. My stuff is available across my Laptop, Desktop and Phone although with Android it's not as seamless as I'd prefer. I also use an outlook.com email and email as well as my calendar integrate. I, for whatever reason never got on the Google bandwagon. I didn't get on the Microsoft bandwagon to this degree until moving the computers to Windows 10.

I hear ya on old fashioned. I'm still stuck on the way I did things in days of old far too much when it comes to interacting with my computers.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I just use a local account and use my ms account to login to the various components like the store and onedrive.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I use the MS account for all of my pc's to sync settings across them. For me it makes things convenient but YMMV.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Given I only have my one PC, my phone is Android, and I'm not quite trusting enough of MS (despite what some people here may want to think), I still use a local account. I see zero benefit for my usage to switch to a connected MS account, only potential privacy concerns. I distrust the security and privacy of "the cloud" so I don't use those services from anyone for anything that I consider personal/private.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I have a new Windows 10 machine that only I use at home. How do I disable the Windows log in? It drives me crazy to have to do this every time.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Given I only have my one PC, my phone is Android, and I'm not quite trusting enough of MS (despite what some people here may want to think), I still use a local account. I see zero benefit for my usage to switch to a connected MS account, only potential privacy concerns. I distrust the security and privacy of "the cloud" so I don't use those services from anyone for anything that I consider personal/private.

are you invested in google's ecosystem?

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I use it. One thing I like is that I use multiple devices and the integration with OneDrive I find handy. My stuff is available across my Laptop, Desktop and Phone although with Android it's not as seamless as I'd prefer. I also use an outlook.com email and email as well as my calendar integrate. I, for whatever reason never got on the Google bandwagon. I didn't get on the Microsoft bandwagon to this degree until moving the computers to Windows 10.

I hear ya on old fashioned. I'm still stuck on the way I did things in days of old far too much when it comes to interacting with my computers.

You know you can still do that with a local account, each app can have its own login doing it that way.

The downside I see to using a MS login to the computer is when you lose your internet connection, it won't let you use your computer.

I used this guide on my Win8 machine but it applies to 10 as well. Now my computer just auto logs on every time I restart or turn it on.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/fl/auto-logon-windows-8.htm
Yup my guest computer running Win 10 auto logs in without a password.

Last edited:

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
i use it with a pin. Mostly because it is convenient. I have two desktops, tablet, and a laptop. having some settings synced up between them does save time

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
On Windows 8 I had to use an MS Account otherwise I wouldn't be able to login to OneDrive. Now with Windows 10 it's great I can have a local account and still login to OneDrive. I don't want anything synced with Microsoft. Don't trust em, I have all privacy invading stuff disabled using O&O ShutUp10

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Using a Microsoft account to log in always seemed like a huge security hole to me. If your local admin account is the same as your Microsoft account, wouldn't that give Microsoft defacto control of your entire machine? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works. I'm not saying there is any foul play here, but assuming someone can hack MS (not completely out of the realm of possibility) and get a hold of large swaths of login information, it would theoretically be equivalent to someone acquiring keys to the front door of every house who allows people in the gate (i.e. remote login).

Does MS allow a separate login for people who might want to use their services without actually using system login credentials? I've used Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 but I've never actually created a Microsoft account. I've used only offline accounts.

Zahid Iqbal

Aug 16, 2015
I don't. Actually i don't like win 10 yet. May be in future. After upgrade from Microsoft to win 10, i was in horrible situation. So I get back to my win 7 again.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
I login with Windows 8.1 and 10 TP. Makes no difference to me. I am also logged in google through my phone 24/7.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
On my desktop, I do not use a log in PW - no need to. On my laptop, I do use a PW or FP log in because during travel, risk exposure is higher.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
are you invested in google's ecosystem?

Not sure I understand what you're asking. I use their stuff for email, some calendar items, and a few odds and ends in the Google Drive but nothing important. As I've said before I refuse to put personal data on any cloud service.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Using a Microsoft account to log in always seemed like a huge security hole to me. If your local admin account is the same as your Microsoft account, wouldn't that give Microsoft defacto control of your entire machine? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works. I'm not saying there is any foul play here, but assuming someone can hack MS (not completely out of the realm of possibility) and get a hold of large swaths of login information, it would theoretically be equivalent to someone acquiring keys to the front door of every house who allows people in the gate (i.e. remote login).

Does MS allow a separate login for people who might want to use their services without actually using system login credentials? I've used Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 but I've never actually created a Microsoft account. I've used only offline accounts.

Having your microsoft account information does not allow them to remotely control your PC or pull any data off of it.

And if someone hacked into Microsofts account database and managed to get credentials in cleartext, *and* they have your physical PC in front of them, you're already hosed anyway. Physical access to a machine trumps everything but the absolute best full disk encryption solutions with a pre-boot environment.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Not sure about Windows 10, but at least up through Windows 7 if I had physical access to a PC with a local account/password I can easily be around that password in a matter of a couple minutes assuming no disk encryption. It is so easy to do with a boot CD.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Not sure about Windows 10, but at least up through Windows 7 if I had physical access to a PC with a local account/password I can easily be around that password in a matter of a couple minutes assuming no disk encryption. It is so easy to do with a boot CD.

If there's no encryption you don't even need to waste 10 minutes cracking the password. Just pull the drive out and pop it into any system running Linux. You have full access to the files and Linux doesn't care about NTFS permissions at all.

Really, physical access is full access.