How many of you remember or are still using the HP Touchpad?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So what would be a nice tablet to get that sells for a decent price? I did take a brief look at Amazon Fire tablets.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
So what would be a nice tablet to get that sells for a decent price? I did take a brief look at Amazon Fire tablets.

iPads are the defacto-do everything tablet. The Galaxy tabs are the best Android tablets, and the Fire tablets are the best value because they're so cheap (but you're locked into Amazon's ecosystem unless you root it).

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
iPads are the defacto-do everything tablet. The Galaxy tabs are the best Android tablets, and the Fire tablets are the best value because they're so cheap (but you're locked into Amazon's ecosystem unless you root it).

No rooting needed to get google play onto fire tablets. Just need to install 4 apks.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
No rooting needed to get google play onto fire tablets. Just need to install 4 apks.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, everytime Amazon issued an update you would have to reinstall any 3rd party APKs.

Come to think of it, I don't have to do that much on the Firestick anymore, so maybe they did get around that.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, everytime Amazon issued an update you would have to reinstall any 3rd party APKs.

Come to think of it, I don't have to do that much on the Firestick anymore, so maybe they did get around that.

Nope. Google play works fine on my hd7sand 8s

Underpowered, but fine for five year olds.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I still have mine plugged up and use it as a clock in my kitchen. It's running dual boot WebOS and CyanogenMod 4.0.4 and hooked up to Touchstone wireless charging dock. The LCD screen on my 1st one died last year so I'm on my 2nd HP Touchpad tablet. I had a spare one in a box. Hopefully I can get another 8-10 years out of this second one.

My father in-law had one of those. He got it from Woot when they were unloading them for $99 each if I remember right.

It really seemed like an underpowered piece of junk compared to an iPad of the same era. The software selection sucked as well, but the OS UI was kinda cool.

If they put that OS on better hardware, it would have been something great.... but it wasn't.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
What do you plan to use it for? I have a Fire HD10 and it's perfectly suited for my use (mostly for displaying songs at jam sessions, and some light browsing).

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
After getting a smartphone, I don't find tablets that useful. They take up too much room, and don't have a decent keyboard. For light use, I'd rather drop a phone in my pocket. For real use, I'd rather have a laptop/desktop.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I remember buying one for $100 on clearance. The experience was like mine with Windows Phone. The device was fine but there was a huge lack of software. Ironically, I passed both down to my daughter who used them for years. She never had anything better so she did not know what she was missing.

I vaguely remember installing Cyanogen mod on it. It only got one or two releases of course but it worked well for her for years.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
After getting a smartphone, I don't find tablets that useful. They take up too much room, and don't have a decent keyboard. For light use, I'd rather drop a phone in my pocket. For real use, I'd rather have a laptop/desktop.
I hear you, a new smartphone might be better for me as I will use it as a phone at least, but I would be limited to a budget of $200 max. What could I get that is decent at that price?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My daughter had a Stylo for awhile, and I liked what I saw. My current phone is a Galaxy J7 Perx. Battery life is fantastic, and it, or something similar will be under $200. You have to adjust expectations. Usually nothing on these cheaper phones is fantastic, but good ones will fulfill basic usage just fine.

Reactions: sdifox

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My daughter had a Stylo for awhile, and I liked what I saw. My current phone is a Galaxy J7 Perx. Battery life is fantastic, and it, or something similar will be under $200. You have to adjust expectations. Usually nothing on these cheaper phones is fantastic, but good ones will fulfill basic usage just fine.
Amazon just had kingston 32g micro cards for $5 so I added that the other day.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Amazon just had kingston 32g micro cards for $5 so I added that the other day.
That's another thing. The cheaper phones still have expandable storage, and removable batteries. I'd rather have that than 70 zillion pixels on the screen. Lower resolution is easier on the battery anyway. I short stroke my charging, and still never run out of power.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Should have picked up Moto G7 on prime day. Was 200. Got one for my son.