How many of you have turned in a college essay...

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I've never done this, because if I ever did not feel like writing the assignment, I have been gifted in the ability to BS. :)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Whats with you and the college threads today?

Anyway, you'd have to be pretty stupid to copy a paper from the internet, that's just asking to get caught.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I am old. Never had that option, but I never would have used it. I was capable of getting my own As so why would I be lazy and trust something someone else wrote?

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
True, but people still do it.

I'm in college. I've had work to do all weekend. Can you blame me?

I could easily head over to College Confidential and spew my questions over there, but then of course, I wouldn't get the fantastic responses that ATOT provides.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Turnitin.com will basically rape you in the face nowadays so it's really not worth the chance.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: oiprocs

I could easily head over to College Confidential and spew my questions over there, but then of course, I wouldn't get the fantastic responses that ATOT provides.

Sounds like someone is either a little salty from doing his work, or desparately seeking a way out of doing his work (thread asking about lazy low GPA'ers and thread asking about cheating on papers)

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: oiprocs

What are you going to do in the real world when you are busy? Go on the net and have someone else figure out your work for you? "Hey boss....sorry I was too busy this weekend to do my work but I found some shit on the net that should suffice"

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
No but I admit I did re-use essays. One time was particularly funny, I used a philosophy paper for an Economic Development course. It was about how communism caught on in China, so for the economics version I added a few lines connecting it to economics. Another two times the course was nothing BUT the essay, so I effectively did nothing for the course.

This was only while I was studying in Thailand for a year. Something about that heat.. I could do absolutely no work. I had zero motivation. I tried to work and was physically unable to bring my mind to do schoolwork.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Never. Would rather get a low grade then get caught and possibly kicked out of school for cheating.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
"Borrowing" your friend's previous work is the way to go. I finished a 40page project in a day and got 3.9 for the course.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Never have and never will. If it came down to cheating or failing an assignment, I'd choose to fail. If anything this would teach me a lesson to not slack off, whereas cheating would just encourage similar behavior in the future.

And as others have pointed out the penalties, if caught, can be pretty severe.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Never done it, and never would. On one hand, I was in college before the web came into existence, and also I'm perfectly capable of writing good college essays myself (as any college student should be).

Aug 25, 2004
No, because:
1. I can write like a mofo, even with my eyes closed.
2. I would rather get a low grade than plagiarize, because integrity still means something to me.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
I never copied any material from the internet. However, I often did use prior lab reports from a year or two ago to see how they were graded for my physics classes. Even with this, I never copied the essays in part or as a whole.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
never.

though there were times when I was desperate and I looked up essays online to get thesis ideas.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Ronstang
I am old. Never had that option, but I never would have used it. I was capable of getting my own As so why would I be lazy and trust something someone else wrote?

Given your stance on many things i doubt you have more than an AA from your local community college.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
The worst thing I have done was to make an outline from an existing essay/article, then write my own essay using roughly the same outline.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: loki8481
never.

though there were times when I was desperate and I looked up essays online to get thesis ideas.

Same. Or I use a friends essay for the same topic to get ideas.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Sounds like someone is either a little salty from doing his work, or desparately seeking a way out of doing his work (thread asking about lazy low GPA'ers and thread asking about cheating on papers)

What are you going to do in the real world when you are busy? Go on the net and have someone else figure out your work for you? "Hey boss....sorry I was too busy this weekend to do my work but I found some shit on the net that should suffice"

Can't wait for your next thread(s) to come out, I'll be sh!tting all over it in no time.

:p

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Nothing online has ever been up to my writing standards.