Question How many of you hate or dislike your CPU coz you were forced to get it due to reasons?

Jul 27, 2020
Reasons being but not limited to:

Price
Deals/Clearance sales
Your preferred mobo being so expensive that it made you settle for the competitor's CPU
RAM speeds not as high or latency not as low as you would like
Pissed at a company due to past bad experience so went to the competitor out of spite, this being a very hard thing for you to do
Some mobo or CPU missing a feature you would prefer
Impatience
Mental math justification to settle for an inferior CPU

My story:

I'm not the proud owner of a 12700K. I'm not proud coz it's inferior to Ryzen in many ways (don't ask me how. Read other threads here. Don't want to get into that). It all started coz I won a lottery of $6000. Now I could've spent it all on some crazy high end system with everything maxed out. But no. I decided to be frugal and get a lot of used hardware that I always wanted but couldn't afford. So first I saw the ASROCK Z790 Sonic mobo. I had no intention or desire for buying into either AM4/AM5 or Z690/Z790. But I like flashy stuff and there was nothing like that on the AM5 side at the time (I think few months later, ASROCK released a B650 Sonic mobo. Doh!) so got it new for $249. Then someone here was selling their 12700K for $240 when new was priced around $400. Of course I had to jump on that too. Got a used EXPO 32GB 5600 rated kit for $90 also from here. At the time, my thinking was that I would later upgrade to the 13900KS or the 14900KS and it would extend the life of my system for an extra 3 or 4 years. This was before adroc decided to jump on here and ruined my plans with his predictions of highest ever desktop ST performance in Zen 5. So we'll see how the benchmarks go and I might wait for the Zen 5 X3D to make the jump to AM5 if everything turns out to be true and Arrow Lake turns out to be a useless piece of dud like Raptor Lake Refresh.

So that's my story for why I don't feel so hot about my hardware. Curious if there are others here who were forced to make some sort of compromise due to circumstances beyond their control. This is kind of a venting thread if you will.

poke01

Mar 8, 2022
I got a 12400 cause I wanted a PC to play RDR2 and it was cheap and 100% going to go Zen5 this year for Indy.

12400 was fast enough and I heard AMD had issues with USB disconnecting on AM4. USB stabliity is important for me and I haven't heard any on AM5 so yeah.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I have 12100F because that was the cheapest CPU around and for my needs at that time, So I thought, I didn't needed anything more powerful.

I was wrong.

Another 4 cores would come a long way, alongside another 8 GB of RAM at least. Hate is too strong word, but I do not like the fact that I am limited to just 4 CPU cores, while I am doing MUCH, MUCH more than I was able to foresee.

But I do not like almost all of CPUs around on the market since they are not powerful enough APUs, for my needs, and preferences.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I wouldn't say I hate it, because it meets my needs, but I do have a widely panned Rocket Lake CPU in one of my computers. It replaced a computer that died a thousand deaths and was not viable to keep repairing. But, at the time video cards were nearly impossible to get and if I did get one the GPU would cost far more than the entire 11700 computer build. So, my choice was either (1) an outdated Comet Lake with terrible iGPU, (2) a panned Rocket Lake with acceptable iGPU, or (3) spending a small fortune for a GPU with performance that I don't need in an AMD system.

So, I have a Rocket Lake 11700 as one of my 4 computers that I regularly use.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Not my main PC anymore but I had a 5900X and was mildly disappointed in theory. I wanted the 5950X but couldn't find one at the time (November 2020). In practice it was totally fine and I saved money.

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
I don't think I hate any of my CPU's. One machine is a Ceph MON/HDFS namenode and is also the LAN to cluster subnet gateway, and it's a Ryzen 3100 because I got it super cheap. I keep waiting for it to get snowed under, but so far it's held up OK.

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
I have 12100F because that was the cheapest CPU around and for my needs at that time, So I thought, I didn't needed anything more powerful.

I was wrong.

Another 4 cores would come a long way, alongside another 8 GB of RAM at least. Hate is too strong word, but I do not like the fact that I am limited to just 4 CPU cores, while I am doing MUCH, MUCH more than I was able to foresee.

But I do not like almost all of CPUs around on the market since they are not powerful enough APUs, for my needs, and preferences.
Somewhat this... but I won't say I hate it. I occasionally have a problem with MW5 and Roguetech but not enough to pay for an upgrade. But I'm also not convinced my issue isn't the graphics card: NVidia 1050ti.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
My 5900X kinda sucks. I have all this rad area, but the stupid thing just doesn't want to stress anything.

It's hard when you look across the aisle and see people drawing 400W+ on their CPUs and know how much fun they must be having setting pump curves and tweaking their fan profiles.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, when I had it, I disliked half the time. If I wanted to use avx-512, I had to turn off the e-cores and it sucked power like crazy. when everything was enabled my 5950x's would beat it anyway. It was a 12700F. (before they disabled avx-512 with micro-code)

H433x0n

Mar 15, 2023
Had a 7950X on an Strix X670E running 2x32GB DDR5-6000 in late 2022, it wasn’t a great experience. Switched to a 13900K on Z790 Strix-E since I rely on this machine to work from home.

Had a similar experience with graphics cards, wasn’t much of a gamer and wanted a 16Gb card so I got an Arc A770 16Gb LE. It worked but had annoying bugs. I switched to a 3090 Ti when the FE was being sold by Nvidia for $1100, ended up getting a 4090 FE 6 weeks later from BestBuy.

End result is a 14900K + 4090 FE combo that I’m running today and it’s been flawless.

• Wow