How many of you dont install to Program Files because of the "admin rights" issue?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Who doesn't install to Program Files?

• Me! Mom and Dad said those are system files and touching would be a no no!

• Pfft, I'm not a noob. I install to where I want! System32!? More like HERECOMESALLMYGAMES32!

• I install games to a different place for other reasons and am therefore choosing option 3.

Results are only viewable after voting.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
If you are reinstalling the OS often enough that reinstalling a few games takes a significant amount of time, that is a problem, and a case of not knowing what you are doing. XP and newer should not need re-installs until you make major hardware changes, like a new mobo. Though, come to think of it, you can even get around reinstalling the OS when doing that, sometimes.

Shouldn't, but does. A reinstall after 6 months or so pretty much always makes the OS much more snappy. Don't believe me? It's a pretty easy experiment. Install your OS, use it regularly for 6 months, do a fresh install of the OS, and proceed to be amazed by how much faster the fresh install is than the 6 month old install.

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Shouldn't, but does. A reinstall after 6 months or so pretty much always makes the OS much more snappy. Don't believe me? It's a pretty easy experiment. Install your OS, use it regularly for 6 months, do a fresh install of the OS, and proceed to be amazed by how much faster the fresh install is than the 6 month old install.
It's been a long while since I've noticed a new install being faster. Back in the late 90s, yes. Now, just keep the PC free of crapware, and don't upgrade drivers and such at the drop of a hat. I notice hardware upgrades, and even CPU OCing, but not new OS installs, which to me are mostly annoying, and no way are they worth doing every six months.

If you need snappy, disable superfetch and search indexing (including disabling it for the drive, not just disabling the service--of course, if you use search all the time, and have a mechanical drive, you'll just have to live with it), keep enough RAM free (7.5GB on a cold boot, FI), disable the page file, and maybe get a SSD.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I install my games onto a RAID 0 Volume for speed, with the nice side effect of avoiding windows security shit at the same time.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

If it makes that much difference then something's wrong, or more likely you're letting a lot of crap get installed.

The last time I had to reinstall windows prior to building my current rig was about a year ago when I had a HDD die. When the drive died my XP install was about 2.5 years old, and there wasn't really any noticeable difference on the fresh install.