How many of you bring a recording device to your classes?

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I was sitting behind this kid with a sound recording device and laptop. It got me thinking how helpful this actually is. He didn't have a webcam but there are probably people who do use a camera to tape the instructor. How useful has this been in your experience?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i have used one since highschool.

BUT some proffesors will not allow you to have one in class.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I did at one time, then the professor got mad at me for violating his copyright to his material or something stupid like that.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: brtspears2
I did at one time, then the professor got mad at me for violating his copyright to his material or something stupid like that.

yeap. thats why some will not allow it in the class.

I have a hearing loss. so i always had one. if the school allows you to have it the proffesor has no say in it. i had a few that complalined.

some were good with it. my calc 2 proff went so far as wear a microphone for me.

i still have all the tapes i had from school hehe

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I think it's a good idea, but I never did it. If you feel like it helps, go nuts. I had a 3.8 in college with plain old paper and a pen.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I just started a thread about what recorder to buy...

I'd never used one before, just pen and paper, and I'll still use pen and paper..
The reason I picked one up is this instructor I have is not lectuiring on the book, he's covering info that he thinks important, corollary to the book, and he's testing on both.

Having a recording will help me, if I have questions about my notes, and if I listen to it the 2 hours every weekday that I'm in the car, I'm thinking the immersion will really stick it in.

I just started my major courses in an accelerated format, it's information I'm actually interested in (finally) and do want to know, so I figured it can't hurt.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: djheater

I'd never used one before, just pen and paper, and I'll still use pen and paper..
The reason I picked one up is this instructor I have is not lectuiring on the book, he's covering info that he thinks important, corollary to the book, and he's testing on both.

Having a recording will help me, if I have questions about my notes, and if I listen to it the 2 hours every weekday that I'm in the car, I'm thinking the immersion will really stick it in.

I just started my major courses in an accelerated format, it's information I'm actually interested in (finally) and do want to know, so I figured it can't hurt.

Link to your thread?

I plan on using paper and pencil, but I figure it's a good way to offer some clarification on how the answer came about while they are writing. (Math class)

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
meh, who wants to listen to an hour lecture twice? I hardly glance at my notes usually, so a recording would be waisted completly.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mariok2006
Originally posted by: djheater

Link to your thread?

I plan on using paper and pencil, but I figure it's a good way to offer some clarification on how the answer came about while they are writing. (Math class)

Text

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
my wife just started going back to college, i bought her an olympus recorder at circuit city yesterday for her to record her lectures

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: LoKe
You must ask the professor for his permission to do sop, but it's a great idea.

yes, my wife asked her two profs and they said it was ok
then one of them went into the hospital to have a tumor removed from next to his heart, so he is out for the semester, she'll have to ask the replacement prof