How Many of you are slowly "Losing Interest in Computer?"

Peter007

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
I never thought this day would happen to me, but I am slowly loosing all interest in computers.:Q

This could be the best thing ever happen to me: to get away from computer and get a real life!

Computers (& its games) has always been like a DRUG to me: I love it, I'm obsessed by it, I can't live without it.
While my high school friends recount outrageous football parties,I recount all the games I finished in high school.
Fond memories of (Ultima II, III, IV & Bard's Tale I,II,III) on my dinky 128K Apple IIc.

Going to college allow me to make a clean break from computing & I discovered the so-called "social life":
Night clubs, beer-runs, Mexico, Student Governments, and GIRLS. It helps that there was no games
available on my 2mb MAC SE, beside there was no WWW, Napster, MP3, Instand Massengers, nor WIFI
to feed my computer addiction. That's right kids, I lived though the dark-ages without internet!

That Real-Life break came to an abrupt end when I discover Blizzard's Diablo game.
Next thing I know, I ditch MACs, and spend $1800 building my first PC (166mmx that cost $175..ouch!)
After that the rest is history. I caught the PC upgrade flu and gone through the progression of

AMD K6, P200mmx, the 3 way battle between Cyrix M2 - Intel's P2 - AMD K6(2), then the overclocking
frenzy of Celeron 300a on ABIT BH6, follow by the infamous Celeron 566 to 860 overclocking, yet even
more Celerons 633 - 900, switch to socket A platform's Duron 700, Duron 900, Athlon 850, Duron 1000
Athlon 1000 (on 133fsb), Athlon 1200, AXP 1600+ & 2000+, AXP1700+ (tbred), finally my AXP 2200+.

@33, I finally realized computer hardware is a never ending games like EverQuest.
Its better to leave-the-scene & get a life.

That is the short version of my story, what is yours?

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
i don't know but i am so fuc[/b]ked up right now. just wanted to let everyone know that.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd like to get away from computers more but my business involves me being on my laptop 8 to 12 hours a day. That's probably also why I'd like to get away from them more.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I still enjoy the internet, however, my visits are mostly to various messageboards and news sites. I no longer have the attention span for games, thus I can only play a game for an hour or two before I loose interest. ;)

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
We will probably be moving to an area that only has dial up or satellite. I like to game online so satellite is out.
I do have a firend that sells wireless and thinks he can get 75 MB to that location. I have to give him the GPS location so he can check it out. The price for 75 MB was cheaper than I thought. He said I could be my own ISP and sell off the bandwidth and it would pay for my part. But, the antenna/tower was about $1000.00.
So, I see computers being less a part of my life. The house is in the wood and by a lake so I will probably spend more time on my quad or in my boat.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There really isn't anything that has come out recently to make me excited. I've temporarily lost interest. I'm sure I'll regain interest when the new nVidia/Ati cards are released, or a new CPU is released that really push framerates in games.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I've lost about 95% of my interest in computers in the last 12 months. I've still be learning more about the items I like to focus on, I've tried looking into other areas of IT... I'm coming to the conclusion that I hate IT. The only problem is, IT is the only thing I know... and some part of me still likes it. Arg. My life is fvcked.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I wish i could lose interest in my computers...:(

I spend almost all my free time in front of a screen...

I even want to build a new PC since my s754 3200+ is getting "old"...argh it's a disease i say...

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Peter007
@33, I finally realized computer hardware is a never ending games like EverQuest.
Its better to leave-the-scene & get a life.

Life is nothing but the same.

Same principle goes to jobs, cars, having any material possession that you're an enthusiast about basically.

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
got a job in tech support and after about 3 years of non-stop using a computer I have completely lost the desire to use a computer for any sort of entertainment purposes. Unless its to look up movie times or buy concert tickets.

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by: mwtgg
i don't know but i am so fuc[/b]ked up right now. just wanted to let everyone know that.

thats fudged, not fucked.. easy on the words, thanks.

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: RobCur
Originally posted by: mwtgg
i don't know but i am so fudged up right now. just wanted to let everyone know that.

thats fudged, not fucked.. easy on the words, thanks.

Thank you. I am soooooooooooooooo fudging sorry.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
can't really say i've ever been really into computers themselves rather than the things i can do on them: programming, gaming, watching shows, reading etc

though i have lost some interest on some of those things, like programming (still fun but not as exciting) and FPS/RTS gaming

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
The job I have now for the last 4 months is the first job I've had in the last 8 years where I haven't sat in front of a computer all day. I now do physical work to an extent but still work with servers and PC's, I'm just to busy to go onto the Internet or chat on IM during work though.

I kind of feel like the guy from office space, how at the end he's doing construction and couldn't be happier.

Jpark

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2003
I just upgraded to a shuttle so I'm going to start investing my money into my jeep instead of my comp. So yes I'm losing interest.

imported_Salvatore

Jul 9, 2004
Yep, losing interest. I still use my computer to do homework, though, and check on track-related things. I also use Trillian and dabble in a bit of music. So, I still use my computer, but I don't have an interest in it anymore. I barely come to this site anymore, and when I do, it's to go to "Off-Topic".

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
I lost interest quickly. One day I got a wild hair up my ass and thought "I'll build a computer". I researched for a couple months, built it, played a couple games, and then sold it and went back to using a Dell 2400