How many of you are left handed mouse players ?

May 11, 2008
I am left handed. And i used to have my mouse setup as a left handed mouse in windows control panel by swapping the buttons. Up till now, all games would accept this fine. But wolfenstein:new order does not. Wolfenstein:no has the tendency to do another mouse button swap when selecting a left handed mouse. To get left and mouse buttons set up for firing and aim, i had to turn off the left handed mouse buttons feature in windows. But now i have to set it up every time i stop playing wolfenstein:no and do regular pc stuff and vice versa when starting wolfenstein:no again.

So i remembered the advice of a friend of mine who is left handed as well and is a seasoned pc gamer. He experienced this many times before and just changed physically the electrical connections in the mouse for the left (LMB) and right (RMB) buttons. I did this just now as well. I cut the traces between the microcontroller and the mouse buttons and soldered thin 0.15mm wires between the microcontroller input pins for the LMB and RMB microswitches and the traces going to the micro switch solder contacts for the LMB and the RMB.

Now i have a mouse that windows thinks is right handed as does every game , but physically the left and right buttons have been swapped. :)

And it works great in wolfenstein:no. No more software layers needed that might or might not be used.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I'm right handed for nearly everything - except the mouse. No idea why but I know two other people like it. I don't use inverted buttons though (just an ambidextrous Logitech G300). For those who do swap the buttons, I was going to suggest a utility like "SwapMouseButtons" or maybe an AutoHotKey script or even official Logitech software may do it, but your solution seems to be the ultimate (if drastic) compatibility fix. :D

Last edited:

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
I am right-handed. But when I first started to use a mouse, I decided to use my left-hand. That keeps my right-hand free for stuff like picking up a phone, etc. When I started playing computer-games a few years later, I decided to keep using my left-hand.

Most mice are right-handed. Therefor I use a symmetrical trackball.
4dc4813a196df_132368n.jpg

I have my mouse-buttons swapped in Windows too. Via Logitech's driver/utility/configuration. I never ran into an issue with that in any game I've played. (I've played a lot. But not Wolfenstein). I did run into issues where games would not let me invert my Y-axis. I got a simple solution for that: I do not play or buy those games. :)

May 11, 2008
I'm right handed for nearly everything - except the mouse. No idea why but I know two other people like it. I don't use inverted buttons though (just an ambidextrous Logitech G300). For those who do swap the buttons, I was going to suggest a utility like "SwapMouseButtons" or maybe an AutoHotKey script or even official Logitech software may do it, but your solution seems to be the ultimate (if drastic) compatibility fix. :D

I am not fond of using the logitech utilities or extra tools for the mouse, to be honest. There is always some program or game that reads the mouse directly.
I have an ambidextrous g1 gaming mouse from logitech.

Logitech-mouse-Logitech-G1-mouse-photoelectric-mouse-gaming-mouse-1000-dpi-Free-Shipping-.jpg

I am right-handed. But when I first started to use a mouse, I decided to use my left-hand. That keeps my right-hand free for stuff like picking up a phone, etc. When I started playing computer-games a few years later, I decided to keep using my left-hand.

Most mice are right-handed. Therefor I use a symmetrical trackball.
4dc4813a196df_132368n.jpg

I have my mouse-buttons swapped in Windows too. Via Logitech's driver/utility/configuration. I never ran into an issue with that in any game I've played. (I've played a lot. But not Wolfenstein). I did run into issues where games would not let me invert my Y-axis. I got a simple solution for that: I do not play or buy those games. :)

Not being able to invert the y -axis is a deal breaker for me as well.
I simply cannot adjust to the way of moving a mouse forward and results in looking up.
Even on a gamepad with an analog stick i need it inverted.
It is locked to the movement of my head or something like that. Moving my head backwards means looking up and moving forward means looking down.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I am left handed, but use a mouse with my right hand. I use a vertical mouse since they are less damaging to carpel tunnel.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I am mainly lefty, but in a righty world I had to force myself to use mouse on the right but only for gaming. I could never find a lefty KB of good quality that I could afford. Right-handed bastards!