How many of us are cord cutters? What streaming sources do you use?

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I have subs to

Hulu
Netflix
HBO
Showtime
Amazon Prime

Use Apple TV and Roku boxes.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
the real question is how much is that costing you including the internet connection and devices that are needed?

May 13, 2009
Sling and netflix for me.
About to cancel sling until basketball starts up again in November. I use a roku I got for free from sling for buying 3 months of service upfront.

I won't sign a contract with a tv provider. Period. I buy HBO when game of thrones is on and sling when basketball season is on. Netflix year round.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
the real question is how much is that costing you including the internet connection and devices that are needed?

I'd have the internet connection reguardless

I bought several Hulu & Netflix coupons on eBay for 50% off
Amazon Prime, I take advantage of their various offers, last was a free year of prime with the Fire phone, when the phone was discounted to $100, then sold the phone for $90
HBO is $15
Showtime is $10

Nov 29, 2006
Antenna with TiVO OTA Roamio (free)
Netflix ($9)
Amazon Prime (free)
Streaming site (free) for other shows i want (GoT. Walking Dead etc)

Total = $9. I dont count Amazon Prime cause i dont pay for prime for its streaming option.

Last edited:

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Hulu ($12)
Netflix ($9)
Amazon Prime (free)

You really can't say Amazon Prime is free when it cost 99 a year.
What is your internet costing?

I'm really looking into cutting the cord. I had a killer deal from Comcast when they were going door to door. I had 75meg up and down internet. Let's just say I had every high def channel except cinamax and showtime. I had hall the sports and all the high def channels for $109 for 2 years and I had the 6 channel DVR included. I wish I could get that deal again but nope not even close.

I had to switch to FIOS and I'm only on 50 megs and lost quite of bit HD channels and lost HBO. I'm now paying $129 a month sigh.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Thin antenna (just like a standard size paper sheet) for OTA channels for local news and sports.

YouTube and Hulu when I want something to watch.

$0/month FTW.

May 13, 2009
You really can't say Amazon Prime is free when it cost 99 a year.
What is your internet costing?

I'm really looking into cutting the cord. I had a killer deal from Comcast when they were going door to door. I had 75meg up and down internet. Let's just say I had every high def channel except cinamax and showtime. I had hall the sports and all the high def channels for $109 for 2 years and I had the 6 channel DVR included. I wish I could get that deal again but nope not even close.

I had to switch to FIOS and I'm only on 50 megs and lost quite of bit HD channels and lost HBO. I'm now paying $129 a month sigh.
What exactly are you watching that is worth that amount of money? I can't even find more than a few hours a week of tv that is worth consuming. And 1 hour of that is game of thrones and it's done for the year.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I went back and looked at my Time Warner Bills the last couple months.
December 2015 - $64
April - $77
May - $88
June - $97

DUFUQ?

That's with 15 meg internet, basic cable (just locals), a cable card and two digital boxes.

Yeah I'm calling and bitching about that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
you guys all use satelite internet or something? FIOS and most other ISP's run cables to your house so that you can use the internet. it's actually the same cord that your tv comes through too if you get it.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I went back and looked at my Time Warner Bills the last couple months.
December 2015 - $64
April - $77
May - $88
June - $97

DUFUQ?

That's with 15 meg internet, basic cable (just locals), a cable card and two digital boxes.

Yeah I'm calling and bitching about that.

I really don't miss that crap...

Me: "my bill is all screwed up"
TWC: "no, looks good to us."

The last thing they did was turn me into collections for hundreds of $ when I terminated service, paid in full. "It's just a glitch, ignore it."

Face palm.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Cox Cable: $65 for 100mb
Netflix: Use Family's
Hulu: Use best friend's
Amazon: Use Company's
Plex for movies, CBS, Other downloaded stuff
HBO: Download, but thinking about getting it, though with GoT over, I might just wait

I use Roku to access everything. Yes I'm a leach :)

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I had full cable when it cost $30/month. I watched TV constantly. If I was home, the TV was on. Then I noticed that it was going up nearly 10% a year to add in channels that I would never watch. I cut the cord years ago. I have no streaming sources. I just mostly went cold turkey - going from the TV on at all times to almost never watching TV.

Antenna ($0) + purchased seasons of shows on DVD ($10 to $50, although I usually just get them as gifts for Christmas or my birthday). My internet is $14.99/month (although I suspect that great deal is going away when Comcast completes the TWC purchase).

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Have Netflix and Amazon through prime. Mostly watch their exclusive programming or to catch up on shows from a while back.

Also have Comcast @ $175/month for internet, TV, DVR's etc.

I'd be fine with cutting the cord and just having local TV, wife isn't interested in doing that regardless of the bills I keep showing her. For me I'd have to have a DVR or a service where I could watch current TV without commercials. I figure in a few more years that should be easier than it is now.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
OTA $0.00/mo
Amazon Prime $8.25/mo
Netflix $0.00/mo
30meg $25.00/mo (1 year promo, then goes up to $35 or $40).

I don't miss cable. I thought I'd really miss ESPN, but there's plenty of football OTA.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
This thread made me go take a look at the Sony Vue TV. Now that's interesting. Anyone have experience with that?

It works with Amazon Fire stick, my current PS3, Android and iOS. It supports up to 5 streams at a time and has DVR capabilities. I'm interested....

Especially at $35 a month for the expanded service.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I have Dish with every channel available.
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Chromecast
Fire Stick

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
This thread made me go take a look at the Sony Vue TV. Now that's interesting. Anyone have experience with that?

It works with Amazon Fire stick, my current PS3, Android and iOS. It supports up to 5 streams at a time and has DVR capabilities. I'm interested....

Especially at $35 a month for the expanded service.

It seems pretty good, I tried Sling, the interface is just god awful.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Sling sucked ass. I tried that for a bit. It was a buffering, studdering mess.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Netflix (Friend's account)
Prime (Bonus to my shipping)
HBO (Friends's account)
Showtime (Friend's account)

I'm good :D

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Ok, so the vue is looking more and more better....

Basically by the time I dump my Tivo subscription, cable card, digital boxes and Time warner fees...I'm getting it for "free". I'd save about $30 a month over what I'm paying now, get 10x the number of stations and bit more freedom to watch it in other parts of the home/remotely with ipads.