Discussion How many laptops would you own maximum?

Jul 27, 2020
Suppose you make a million a year easily. How many laptops would you buy? At what point would you stop?

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
2, same as now. I only upgrade my laptop when a family member needs one. I usually sell them my back up laptop, then my current one becomes my backup when i get a new one.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
why does a million $ = endless laptops? what kinda fantasy do you have? a laptop for each room of the house? depending on why i wouldnt even own one laptop. laptop for what? why not use desktops or have someone else perform your computer tasks and just throw on a oculus 5 to browse your facebook (who wants to use a laptop for ANYTHING?? the only use i can think is the car and the plane)

whats funny is this thread has motivated me to do something with my 4 laptops and one surfacebook thing, i have not used any of them in well over a year and they are pretty decent machines. (1tb ssd with 16gb ddr4 / dedicated gfx)

mostly i use a 2021 version 10" amazon tablet for simple things like stream a movie while doing some dishes.

Jul 27, 2020
Well, different workloads running on each laptop. Different OSes. Lots of opportunities to try different stuff. Maybe a game works best on Nvidia GPU so install that on the laptop with 3080 16GB. Another game works best on AMD so that goes on the Radeon 6900 laptop. Desktops are too bulky and heavy to move around. I'm not a bodybuilder.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
Suppose you make a million a year easily. How many laptops would you buy? At what point would you stop?
Two. MBP16 and some thin and light fanless laptop. Unfortunately, I can't justify the latter purchase given I hardly go outside since the plague.

Jul 27, 2020
Two. MBP16 and some thin and light fanless laptop. Unfortunately, I can't justify the latter purchase given I hardly go outside since the plague.
Thin and light could still be useful for carrying around the house. MBP16 isn't something you want to move around a lot, unless you have well-developed biceps/triceps.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Well, different workloads running on each laptop. Different OSes. Lots of opportunities to try different stuff. Maybe a game works best on Nvidia GPU so install that on the laptop with 3080 16GB. Another game works best on AMD so that goes on the Radeon 6900 laptop. Desktops are too bulky and heavy to move around. I'm not a bodybuilder.
funny you mention desktops being to heavy to move around. why are you moving around with your computer? gaming on the toilet? How many oses do you use gaming? (pretty sure you can still dual triple boot nowadays :p unless you like gaming on multiple devices at the same time) >

i guess i was critical of your use of laptops but i mentioned having 4 laptops and not using them :p ( we can see a trend of you loving them and me preferring a full keyboard / big screen.

Jul 27, 2020
i guess i was critical of your use of laptops but i mentioned having 4 laptops and not using them :p ( we can see a trend of you loving them and me preferring a full keyboard / big screen.
Same reason millionaires may have multiple cars. Just coz they can.

bustbang

Aug 3, 2005
6 would suit my purposes. Couple high-end gaming laptops and mid spec daily drivers. Prefer to have them in multiple locations rather than carry them around.

My GF has an account on some of my PCs so the more the merrier.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have a surface pro as my daily driver for browsing/emails/etc, and update that every few years, selling the old one when I get a new one. The cost is not the issue, but the time spent in maintaining multiple ones is. I have a couple of 10 year old ones that I want to just donate but never had time to remove personal info from.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
One, unless my only computer has to be a laptop... in which case, two. I just need a backup; I can think of many more ways to flex my wealth than buying more computers than I need.

Reactions: Pohemi

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
One, same as now.

This thread is missing quite a few of these: :rolleyes:
well i asked why you need any laptops besides while traveling, they stated they are not a body builder to move desktops around :p (but you could always buy more desktops if needed right?) eye roll

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
I have 5 now, working on 6. Keep refurbishing used Thinkpad T3XX and T4XX models swapping them around
trying to determine which one I like best and two years later they each have something different I can't live without

Jul 27, 2020
I have 5 now, working on 6. Keep refurbishing used Thinkpad T3XX and T4XX models swapping them around
trying to determine which one I like best and two years later they each have something different I can't live without
I know. Kinda like multiple girlfriends :D

Reactions: QuietDad

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
#6 is now up and running with #7 now on the workbench. 3 are definitely staying. Have windows 10 on one, Linux Kali and Tails on two more. (Yes I know your not supposed to install tails to the HD and run it from the USB, but if I REALLY need to, I can still boot it from the USB....)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
6 fully working one, 3 are gaming laptops the other 3 are work laptops. I do, however, have a stack of IBM t-20s and t-40s. Too lazy to toss them.

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
6 fully working one, 3 are gaming laptops the other 3 are work laptops. I do, however, have a stack of IBM t-20s and t-40s. Too lazy to toss them.
Throwing away computers and or parts is just not in the blood stream. Have a full garage bay of desktops, laptops and things from parts to half empty cases of things acquired/built/modified over the years. Have no less than 7 desktops, from socket 775 to I7's fully built with fresh installs of windows 10 and then never used to at least 10 more Thinkpads (mostly T3XX and T4XX) that probably work but need a battery or power cord . Someday I'll find a reason to use them.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Already have four laptops to deal with and a tablet. I wish that I didn't have to use that many to begin with and could just stick to desktops at home. I honestly don't think anything would change with laptops if I had unlimited money, rather spend more on servers and networking.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietDad

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I'd probably just perpetually upgrade a surface pro every time the new gen comes out.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I would just have two. One will be a gaming laptop that's heavier in weight and won't be used while travelling. The other will be extremely light and thin for portability purpose.
That seems like the most sensible answer. A heavy beast with terrible battery life and a light portable with great battery life.

I'm sure I'd buy some things just to try them but I really don't need a laptop at all anymore. My phone does everything but game. Heck I can edit and transcode video on my phone.

A couple trips ago I took a laptop just in case and never needed it. Last trip I skipped the laptop and didn't miss it. A DeX allows the phone to work with a keyboard, mouse and monitor so you don't have to squint at a tiny phone screen the whole time.

Currently my laptop is the best computer in the house because of the video card shortage. It was only $750 (edited) including a 1660 ti MQ so it is pulling gaming/VR duty but if I had too much money I'd have a proper desktop with a 3080 so once again no need for a laptop.

Last edited: