Discussion How many illegals do you think live in America?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Like is a guy who can roof skilled? Or do we cut that off at plumbers?

Also hell yeah we could use more nannies and childcare workers. People are paying for childcare what it would cost to send those kids to college at this point. With our aging population we need a buttload more nurses too.

The bulk of immigration these days is family based also so some decisions would have to be made about that. We're probably not going to be super a super attractive place for people to make a life long term if we stopped people from bringing their wives/kids/parents/etc.

Being able to handle babies and toddlers is a skill more rare than you realize. It isn't a matter of just saying "Eh, import some more cheap brown people so I can pay less"

Again, you're fearmongering based on what your corporate overlords have told you. We don't need more workers. There isn't a shortage, they just want to pay less via a higher supply. Don't fall into this trap please.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Being able to handle babies and toddlers is a skill more rare than you realize. It isn't a matter of just saying "Eh, import some more cheap brown people so I can pay less"

That's not what I said but it seems to be what you're saying. Amongst several affordability crises we have child care is right up there with healthcare and the solution is similar: increase the supply of skilled labor in that sector.

Reactions: ivwshane

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
What bothers me about this subject is that so many have villainized the very people we collectively as a society exploit. As if a large percentage of illegal immigrants from south of our board arrive here and take more than they give. There are people on the far right that would literally kill them given the chance.

Reactions: iRONic

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What bothers me about this subject is that so many have villainized the very people we collectively as a society exploit. As if a large percentage of illegal immigrants from south of our board arrive here and take more than thy give. There are people on the far right that would literally kill them given the chance.

Our society generally views such exploitation at worst as on par with a parking ticket and sometimes even admires it. Some people even thought Trump was just being a good businessman when it turned out he hired a crapload of Costa Rican labor to build his NJ golf resort.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
These people are not a threat to the country, or our way of life. The real threat consists of less than 600 people that prey on the country from Washington DC.

Reactions: Leeea

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What bothers me about this subject is that so many have villainized the very people we collectively as a society exploit. As if a large percentage of illegal immigrants from south of our board arrive here and take more than they give. There are people on the far right that would literally kill them given the chance.

Just look at the comments in this very thread and the posters who liked such posts. Their immediate response was to demonize illegals and not the people who hire them. Hell, some even admitted the companies they hired used illegals. Did they complain to the company they hired? No. Did they report said company? No. Did they cancel their service and were willing to pay more to go with someone who hired Americans or legal immigrants? No.

So they have no problem taking advantage of such people but they'll complain about those very same people they took advantage of, for their own personal gain, being here.

All I hear in this thread are a bunch of bigots being hypocrites.

God forbid people come to this country to better themselves and their families, like our ancestors did (many of whome didn't have to go through the process we have now).

I'd take a million illegal immigrants who actually want to be here rather than keeping all the hypocrites in this thread. They'd almost assuredly be better Americans.

Nov 8, 2012
Just look at the comments in this very thread and the posters who liked such posts. Their immediate response was to demonize illegals and not the people who hire them. Hell, some even admitted the companies they hired used illegals. Did they complain to the company they hired? No. Did they report said company? No. Did they cancel their service and were willing to pay more to go with someone who hired Americans or legal immigrants? No.

So they have no problem taking advantage of such people but they'll complain about those very same people they took advantage of, for their own personal gain, being here.

God forbid people come to this country to better themselves and their families, like our ancestors did (many of whome didn't have to go through the process we have now).

I'd take a million illegal immigrants who actually want to be here rather than keeping all the hypocrites in this thread. They'd almost assuredly be better Americans.

So what you're saying is we prosecute the people who hired them - throw them in jail and fine them by the billion - and the problem will all just magically go away - one starving brown person at a time?

ALL RIGHTY THEN! What a great idea!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So what you're saying is we prosecute the people who hired them - throw them in jail and fine them by the billion - and the problem will all just magically go away - one starving brown person at a time?

ALL RIGHTY THEN! What a great idea!

No I didn’t say that at all but that’s what wished I had said because you can’t argue the merits.

Btw here is a whole thread dedicated to solving the problem. Guess what your position was?

I’ll give you a hint: you didn’t bother reading or attempting to understand the bill but you did your little dance of stupidity. I especially liked your fascist line about shooting illegals on the spot, how very authoritarian of you.

Reactions: Meghan54

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Most of the "the company brought a crew of illegal immigrants to the jobsite" people really don't know for sure that they were illegal, only that they were brown and spoke Spanish...I worked construction for more than 30 years. I worked with a shit-ton of Mexican immigrants. good people, hard workers, spoke <gasp> Spanish...and some English. ALL were either on green cards...or US citizens. It's pretty damned tough to know which "dirty brown guy" is illegal...or legal...or even a US citizen.
I don't give two shits about the conditions they left...or how much they want a better life...if they entered the USA illegally, they should be removed. if they entered LEGALLY, they should be welcomed.

Reactions: pcgeek11