How many garage doors should I put in a 2 car garage?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Scarpozzi, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Greenman

Greenman Diamond Member

You left out the center column to divide the two openings. He could use a ridged frame and net an 18'6 RO.

2. JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda Lifer

most women do not worry about a little sag here and there...

3. OBLAMA2009

OBLAMA2009 Diamond Member

one door probably means less draft/dust/dirt and easier access as well. but it might mean a heavier door so if you had to lift it yourself it might be too heavy. i have two doors myself, but that was how the house came

#28 OBLAMA2009, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. herrjimbo

herrjimbo Senior member

that's what the torsion springs are for. adjustable so you could lift it with 2 fingers of each hand if you wanted to.

5. Colt45

Colt45 Lifer

one door, so can park in the middle and do car work

6. Kroze

Kroze Diamond Member

I have both and 1 large garage door is much better than 2. Don't do 2 doors

7. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Just one 6 foot wide door. You're going to end up filling the garage with lawn mowers, etc., and will never have a car in there, so why bother?! :p

8. herrjimbo

herrjimbo Senior member

this is so true where i live. se wisconsin and everybody has a garage. yet 80% of the people in my neighborhood leave their cars in the driveway year round because there's so much crap in the garages. and it shows. rust buckets all over the place.

i personally like that my 2002 looks brand new because i use my garage for what it is intended.

9. BurnItDwn

BurnItDwn Lifer

I'd go with 1 big door ....

I want a garage ...
    Not for my car, but so I can have a nice big place to work on snowmobiles, and maybe buy and rehab a pop up tent, and a woodworking shop! It would be awesome ... Some day, I might even park a car in there, but, it wouldn't be on the initial agenda.

10. Schfifty Five

How is he supposed to get his stuff in and out of that side of the garage then without a garage door?

I'm assuming when you say "one 6 foot wide door" that you're referring to the side that will have a car.

11. Schfifty Five

You would still need a garage door to get stuff in and out of it. What are you going to do instead, wall up that side of the garage?

12. jagec

jagec Lifer

His whole point is that NEITHER side will have a car, since almost no one actually parks their car in their garage.

It's a joke, and you people are analyzing the pros and cons of it, Jesus...

13. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Uhh, being parked in your driveway doesn't cause rust. Driving it on the road in the winter in Wisconsin (salt on the roads) causes rust.

14. Schfifty Five

Oh I get he was joking, but you still need to have some logic in it.

Just b/c a car isn't going into the garage, it's not like you can just wall it up. You will still need a garage door regardless of having a car in there or not.

And when I read his joke, I assumed he meant, have 1 regular 6 foot wide garage door for one side, and nothing for the other half of the garage b/c there won't be a car in there.

15. herrjimbo

herrjimbo Senior member

true. but these are the same people who never wash and wax their vehicles. in general, people who park in garages usually take better care of them.

16. herrjimbo

herrjimbo Senior member

where do you keep coming up with needing a garage door? it's been stated so many times in this thread the sizes and advantages of garage doors. of course a garage door is needed.

17. djnsmith7

djnsmith7 Platinum Member

If I had to choose, I'd opt for 1 door. Looks better & more convenient.

18. Schfifty Five

um, what?:confused:

19. herrjimbo

herrjimbo Senior member

what he's saying is:
    reduce the size of the opening to 6 feet, preferrably in the middle of the front of the garage. then he just needs one 6 foot door.

20. Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi Lifer

Thanks for all the advice. Based on the width, I think I'm going to go with 1 door. I agree that 2 doors looks better, but with 8 foot wide doors being what they are, I'd much rather have the extra space and have the extra support around the front of the garage to support the upstairs.

21. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

Will you be parking two cars or one? Could be handy to have just one door and then have the other garage space used for other stuff (3 walls, 2 corners to play with vs just 2).

I've also heard of people installing a second door at the end of the garage. If you need to get your vehicle in your yard (ex: backing up a truck with soil or something) then you can.

22. Itchrelief

Itchrelief Golden Member

Its ONE CONTIGUOUS garage. The OP's just asking if he should have one or two DOORS to that ONE SPACE. Inside is a huge open space, not two walled-off garages. You don't need more than one door if you only want to get small items in or out of it.

23. phanie

phanie Junior Member

I think you should know how to recognized and minimized and maintain a garage door in your car to established it..
    Thank you :D

towson garage door

24. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

I think 1 looks better.

25. Leros

Leros Lifer

If you're going to park your car in it, I would get one big door because it offers more flexibility in terms of where you can park the car. As others mentioned, its nice to park in the center so you can work on it. I park in the center of my garage because I have work benches and stuff on the sides.

If I was going to make my garage a workshop only, I would prefer 2 doors so I had flexibility of opening one door for air while keeping the other closed.