How many feet/second does a standard .22 bullet go at?

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
I want to know to compare to a .22 cal pellet gun I can buy (I know its not as powerful as the real thing).

Bib

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd guess about 1000/sec. I know airguns (BB and pellet) are about 500/sec or less.

my compound bow can shoot arrows at 260 feet/sec :D

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
I don't know if to be happy or glad that so many people know the answer to this :)

The gun I was looking at - the most powerful BB gun I can actually find - is C02 powered, rifle, shoots .22 rounds at I think it was 630 feet/second, which isn't too bad. I think it would be enough to really make somebody quite unhappy shooting them with it.

I used to have a .177 rifle shot at 530 fps which wasn't bad, but I figure the .22 round is probabaly about twice as heavy, and with more speed would do a decent number on somebody - not that I intend to shoot anyone...

BiB

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well it would do a number on those pesky squirrels :D

btw, I'm talking about the annoying red ones that chew through screen on your sliding doors! :| they can take a .22 in the face for all i care

Buddha Bart

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
"make somebody quite unhappy"

You're not actually getting this for like home defense or anything are you? I wouldn't even stop a child.

bart

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
No, I'm not sure why I want one. Basically to be childish with it, cause I got one when I was 15, and now at the age of 22 I feel like getting another one (btw, can't really buy firearms in canada - you can, but its too much hassel).

And I think a child would not be able to rush you while getting pelted with high speed bits of lead, come on, it would stop at least a 10 year old.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< come on, it would stop at least a 10 year old. >>

An extra round for every year over 6 :p

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999

Might be a good time to mention that new Hardocp.com forum has a &quot;Rifles and Pistols&quot; section now, with full HTML image linking.
Also, full cursing allowed, except &quot;F&quot; word.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Bart: I think people underestimate the power of even a small round like a .22 LR. Used with hollow points or high velocity rounds, they can be quite deadly though it obviously requires a little more accuracy than a 9mm handgun or a 7.62mm rifle which can shatter large bones. Just remember that your neck, eyes, stomach, and four major arteries (legs and groin) are not protected by bone at all.

I bet that if I shot you with 10 rounds from my Ruger (which I can ripple off in a few seconds), you'd probably feel it. If I loaded the 50 round magazine in it...

I think my high velocity Thunderbolt rounds are rated at 1300-1400fps, but I'd have to verify that.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Thats fast, but I think he was talking about a .22 shot from a pellet gun, going at half the speed :)

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Yes 1100 for a standard round over 1300 for the hyper-velocity stuff
although the guy at the office here who used to tournament shoot said you don't get the accuracy with the very light 33grs bullets something about not enough mass effectively staying in the rifelings.
BTW It isn't hard to get guns in Cananda fill out your possesion liscence and FAC &quot;currently&quot; and you can get all you want. If you want handguns you have to fill out a collectors liscence which is more involved. There are still tons of stuff you don't even have to to do that. I've got guys giving me guns cause they don't want to have to register them.

Buddha Bart

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
andrew: i've been hit by a 22LR in the right leg. I swear i thought a bee stung me (till i saw the blood).

We all like to think small calibers would work if aimed well, but nobody ever hits anywhere near their target in a real firing situation.

bart

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
<<pre-requisite: I'm aggressive>>

<< nobody ever hits anywhere near their target in a real firing situation >>

Oh, is that why snipers have full automatic weapons --so they just spray down their target instead of using one shot at a great distance placed precicely on target??

Yup, nobody ever hits anywhere near their target in a real firing situation.

OKAY SMART GUY. I've stood next to a U.S. Marshal (involved in the witness protection program) and watched him. This was COOL:
He was walking away from our target area, back toward his suburban (which has ghost plates, btw *cool*). He pulled his 9mm from his sidearm, turned at 110yards, didn't even pause to sight up the target, and blew a bee hive hanging from one of the nearby trees wide open. He's got expert marksmanship in both rifle and pistol. He carries a green fanny-pack where ever he goes that holds his 9mm (it's a little bit less conspicuous than taking off your coat to reveal your sidearm). He also has an HK-MP5 that is either auto, semi-auto, or 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 shot volley presets at one single trigger pull. --ME WANT!! :p

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
i shoot squirrels that are pests all the time with a .177 pellet gun.

up to about 50 ft kills em dead with head shots. chest shots usually takes a 2nd one to finish em off. a 22cal pellet gun is more potent.

Have seen several EX-people that did not take the tiny .22 rimfire seriously.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
bart - Well you can't say 10 in the chest would be fun :)

ffm That guy is above average skill. You're right though - I'm reading a book on special forces and they can &quot;double tap&quot; a guy's head no problem at pretty long ranges - they actually are so good they aim for heads, not chests (damn body armor). I'm sure the average cop would barely be able to hit a guy in the chest beyond 30 meters, but these guys spend like a dozen hours a week training - and they can do this without having to line up the target, twist -> shoot like your marshall guy. But these guys are also so well trained that combat stress won't affect their aiming as much as it would the average joe.

You guys should watch the pistol competitions on American Shooter - these guys are like off a bloody movie, they got madd skillz.

cxim

Its funny hearing you talk about squirrels like they are humans or something :) I only shot a bird once - it was probably 15 meters away and the body had a slight ruffling on the neck, its eyes were still open - killed instantly. A friend actually managed to shoot a bird out of the air with his BB gun as it was flying, lucky shot.

BiB

Unsickle

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
Speaking of pellet guns. I have a Beeman Tempest and RWS Diana Junior Pro (.177). My friend and I used to practice &quot;simultaneous kill&quot; on birds and squirrels by shooting them simultaneously. Once my friend shot a blackbird that was probably 50 yards away perched on a TV antennae... it just swung backward and hanged upside down for the longest time before dropping.

I haven't been able to take out any squirrels though. I use match pellets (flat tip), at 500 fps from my Tempest pistol. It just makes a dull thud upon impact and the squirrel goes CRAZY and runs so fast that it almost falls out of the trees.

I don't shoot animals anymore though.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I have a .20 caliber Sheridan pellet gun that does a nice job. It's a standard 10-pump pneumatic that is rated close to 800 FPS. I used to take out rats at night that came into my parents yard from the field that is next to their house.

My favorite plinking gun is my Ruger 10/22. I am pretty accurate with it. I shoot fairly often at a local outdoor range and can usually put 10 rounds in a 1&quot; group.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
PCAddict: 10/22 is my gun -- I love that thing! I used to take it out in the woods with various objects to see what fast flying metal would do to them. I had a golf ball for awhile without about 5 rounds stuck inside. :)

I've actually shot an MP5 before -- that is an awesome gun. I did not fire but only held a select fire silenced MP5 that a SWAT guy had at home. I was drooling badly. He was selling it for $10,000, I think was his price (it was heavily modified by a master gunsmith). Last I heard about him, though, he ended up doing drugs and getting kicked off the force. Loser.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
depends on whether you are talking about a .22LR (pistol) bullet or a long gun round. NATO-standard .223 ammo, through an M-16/M-4 type rifle is approx. 3200 fps. For .22LR, it's going to depend a lot on the barrel length and other factors... i'd say 1100-1300fps would be a pretty good figure to go with.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
AndrewR, the 10/22 is great. There are so many accessories available for it. I am considering getting a black synthetic stock for it to make it a little lighter.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
RWS makes a .22 and a .25 :Q caliber pellet gun. The .22 can fire a pellet at upwards of 900 ft per second. The .25 is a little slower.

My dad did pretty good using his RWS w/ the superpoints and superdomes when he took it squirrel hunting.

I know for sure that I wouldn't want to get popped with one of the superpoints.

Underclocked

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would be willing to bet that .22 air rifle projectile at 650fps would drop anyone posting here, if it was well placed and within close range. And, never believe that a .22 long rifle isn't a VERY effective killer (sure, there are MUCH better choices!). I've seen some obvious proof of a .22's effectiveness.
I only interject here because it seems you guys are trivializing these lower power guns. They are in no way toys.