• 81 to 160

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 161 or greater

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Just 1. I thought about getting more, but the cards are overpriced at the moment, and I'm not sure that I would get a decent return on the investment at this point.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com

edit:
3 x RX 580, mining ETH 24/7.
1 x GTX 1080, mining 22-23 hours/day. It bounces between ETH and NiceHash.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
It is just no fun anymore. We are now in the situation that if for some reason the dgpu breaks down, one cannot buy a replacement because of the miners.
When will they get it that the speculation will kill it.
I seriously hope that bubble will burst and a lot of people will end up in serious money problems. :mad:

Reactions: scannall

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I voted 10 cards. Before you all hate me for "killing PC gaming" - I'm not the one scalping cards on Newegg (3rd-party) and ebay. That's just the free market at work.

Edit: Flipped a breaker the other day, so now I'm only running 4 PCs with 7 GPUs now, so I have enough power budget to run the A/C. (All this stuff shares a single 20A circuit. :( )

Last edited:

wege12

May 11, 2015
I seriously hope that bubble will burst and a lot of people will end up in serious money problems. :mad:

That is a terrible thing to wish on someone and I seriously hope you rethink your opinion. Of the twenty GPUs I have mining, 19 of them I bought second hand on tech forums such as this one.

Reactions: Feld and Crono

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That is a terrible thing to wish on someone and I seriously hope you rethink your opinion. Of the twenty GPUs I have mining, 19 of them I bought second hand on tech forums such as this one.
The thought was not aimed at you, but look at the situation. Due to mining, NOBODY can buy a video card for anything other than a VERY inflated price. newegg and EVGA don't have them in stock, only 3rd party sellers that are selling the cards at 150% or more of retail. $1400 for a $780 video card ? That kind of frustration makes people angry, and rightfully so.

Also, the future of mining is not a sure thing. It is very fluid, and governments are trying to regulate it, which may break it altogether. So NO gamer can buy a decent card due to the miners.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

wege12

May 11, 2015
The thought was not aimed at you, but look at the situation. Due to mining, NOBODY can buy a video card for anything other than a VERY inflated price. newegg and EVGA don't have them in stock, only 3rd party sellers that are selling the cards at 150% or more of retail. $1400 for a $780 video card ? That kind of frustration makes people angry, and rightfully so.

Also, the future of mining is not a sure thing. It is very fluid, and governments are trying to regulate it, which may break it altogether. So NO gamer can buy a decent card due to the miners.

I understand that it can be frustrating for the PC gamer looking to buy a GPU. However, miners are acquiring these GPUs lawfully and what they choose to do with their hardware is their own discretion. But what many people don't, and are not willing to, understand is that a lot of these cryptocurrencies are trying to solve real world problems. They're not scams, ponzi or pyramid schemes. I agree that mining is wasteful. But these technologies are in their infancies and mining is just the first stage of making the blockchain possible. The good news is that mining is on its way out. Any forward thinking or emerging cyrptocurrency today is moving to or already using a proof of stake model of running the blockchain, which makes mining obsolete and therefore will restore GPU prices to normal levels.

What I don't understand though is wishing harm or an unfortunate circumstance on another person and/or their family. That is not okay just because something is "not going your way". There is already enough hate and suffering in this world and adding to it is just downright irresponsible and immature in my opinion.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
5x 1080ti's (full time, about a year), 1x 1080 (~75%, about 18mo), 1x 970 (~50%, about a year), 1x 960 (~75%, about a year).

Reactions: WiseUp216
May 11, 2008

Well, in all honesty, i do not want people to end up in serious money problems, I admit i was a bit harsh. Sorry about that.
But most will end up in serious money problems. Not because i want it but because it will happen, human nature, greed, the standard stuff.
And some already have.
People with serious money are manipulating cryptocurrency because it has no rules and no over looking control.
It is preffered a lot by shady people.
It will burst but not until a lot of people have joined in.
It does makes me wonder : At the moment, what is more profitable and controls the price... Speculating on cryptocurrency or mining cryptocurrency ?

Oh, i do not mine. I could let my gpu card do that while i am doing hobby stuff that is not gaming related.
But i refuse to.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Do you find yourself not using your gaming PC for gaming as much now that you have a miner running on it? I do... maybe because I have other laptop PC's and an XBox to use. I figure "Gee, that computer is busy, let me use another one".

Nope. Gaming or "normal use" takes precedence. Mining is strictly an on the side thing for me. My secret is that I heard about bitcoin 3 years before everyone else and started mining ethereum the day it went live. You make the most money mining by cranking on it when the difficulty is nothing.

Reactions: Feld and Madpacket