How many chicks does a mother hen usually have at once?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I was getting lunch, and I walked past a mother hen with 11 chicks with her :Q. Isn't that a lot? Don't they usually have like 3 or 4?

She had 8 black ones and 3 yellowish ones... Lots of little birds to look after.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
did you just pass the hen on the street or something? :confused:

it's like a sidewalk between buildings.... not really a street... but, yeah.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred

did it say AFLACK! or anything like that? that would be weird. did you throw bread at it?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rastus
Lots of little birds to look after

Do chickens even have nipples?

No. Chickens learn to eat off the ground right away.

Most other birds are fed by the mom/dad seeking out food and then regurgitating it into the babies mouths when they get back to the nest. :)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

did it say AFLACK! or anything like that? that would be weird. did you throw bread at it?

No, there are just chickens living around this campus. I don't know why. I guess someone left some chickens here a long time ago and now they live here or something...

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

No, there are just chickens living around this campus. I don't know why. I guess someone left some chickens here a long time ago and now they live here or something...

Do you go to Alabama or Mississippi St. or something? Chickens on campus? wait..you don't go to Appalachian State do you?!

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

Do you go to Alabama or Mississippi St. or something? Chickens on campus? wait..you don't go to Appalachian State do you?!

No. Actually this campus is in the middle of a city with half a million people (Sacramento). Yeah, I know, it's wierd.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

No. Actually this campus is in the middle of a city with half a million people (Sacramento). Yeah, I know, it's wierd.

i know you live in Sacramento. ;)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

i know you live in Sacramento. ;)

Maybe you thought I was commuting to Alabama or something, I dunno ;)

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

Maybe you thought I was commuting to Alabama or something, I dunno ;)

hahaha...actually i was hoping to piss you off by asking stupid questions. :D

or offend someone that goes to one of the schools i listed. ;)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I take it that no one here has actually owned chickens and can say how big a normal (litter, flock, batch? :confused: ) of chicks is?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I take it that no one here has actually owned chickens and can say how big a normal (litter, flock, batch? :confused;) of chicks is?

If my mom weren't teaching at the moment, I'd call her and ask (she grew up on a farm).

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
I take it that no one here has actually owned chickens and can say how big a normal (litter, flock, batch? :confused: ) of chicks is?

It kinda depends on the kind of chickens. Was the mother smallish with lots of brownish colors?

The smaller chickens will have 10-12 babies, so yeah.. it's pretty normal. Sounds like she had a good clutch. :)

Apparently, even the big chickens can have 8-10.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli

It kinda depends on the kind of chickens. Was the mother smallish with lots of brownish colors?

The smaller chickens will have 10-12 babies, so yeah.. it's pretty normal. Sounds like she had a good clutch. :)

I guess she wasn't really big for a chicken, but I didn't notice her being exceptionally small. She was kinda grayish... I dont really remember. Maybe I'll see them around again, I'll pay closer attention to the mother.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001

The answer is zero. Hens lay eggs, which later hatch into chicks.

This was a test, and you all failed.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BillGates

The answer is zero. Hens lay eggs, which later hatch into chicks.

This was a test, and you all failed.

:p