How many car repair shops do you know that does this?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I've gotten my car repaired a few times at this shop and also do all my oil changes there. Their service is always top notch and everyone there is always nice and helpful, not to mention the front receptionists are always hot. They provide free refreshments, snacks and a PS2 system for entertainment in their waiting room. They always follow up with a phone call after a service to see if I'm happy with the results and their level of service. Pretty much service level of a dealer without the dealer prices. Sadly they won't be offering free loaner cars for oil changes anymore.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I don't know. I've never had to have my car repaired, and the wife's is still under warranty so we take it to the dealer.

hx009

Nov 26, 1999
Originally posted by: jtvang125
I've gotten my car repaired a few times at this shop and also do all my oil changes there. Their service is always top notch and everyone there is always nice and helpful, not to mention the front receptionists are always hot. They provide free refreshments, snacks and a PS2 system for entertainment in their waiting room. They always follow up with a phone call after a service to see if I'm happy with the results and their level of service. Pretty much service level of a dealer without the dealer prices. Sadly they won't be offering free loaner cars for oil changes anymore.

I want to move where you live. Well I would've. I've never heard of anyone giving a loaner for an oil change. It's like 20-40min tops. I can understand if you're getting something major done requiring half a day or more of work, but less than an hour?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I make it a point to avoid those places.

My mechanic has some negatives:

- No coffee
- No waiting area
- One bare metal desk for them to keep records on
- No receptionist
- No snacks

However, there are a few positives:
- No annoying me with phone calls after routine service (I HATE it when places do that, if I have a problem, I'll call them, otherwise, don't fvcking pester me, it's as bad as a clinging woman that won't stop calling after a date)
- An owner who as managed racing teams for Jurgen Barth, Hurley Haywood, Derek Bell, Jeff Andretti, Lynn StJames, and Bobby Rahal, among others
- An owner whose cars have won the 24 Hours of Daytona, the 12 Hours of Sebring, and an IMSA GT-3 championship
- A sponsored vintage racing team that includes a genuine Shelby Cobra and several vintage Corvettes as well as a Porsche 917K, 908, and a Ferrari 512
- Mechanics who live and breathe their jobs
- A service bay that, on any given day, looks like this

I just don't trust the places that have high-dollar waiting rooms and cushy places for people to wait. They have the wrong priorities IMO.

ZV

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
my place isn't like that, but they are still awesome, i trust them more than any mechanic i have ever used and peace of mind is all i need, not ps2 in the waiting room

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The shop I use has cookies on the counter, and coffee, but no TV, no Gamecube or any other gaming device...They DO however have great mechanics who know what they're doing, reasonable (for the area) labor rates, and they will sometimes let me bring my own parts (if they can't match or beat the prices). Their service bar usually resembles the one Zemm posted a pic to, except filled with Bimmers, Benzes and Volvos...

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Place I go has a ratty-ass couch, a 30 year old TV that gets 3 channels, ancient crap magazines, etc. But they are across the street from a mall so I usually wander over there while I wait.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
you're paying for all of that crap by getting reamed up the butt on your bill, whether you recognize it or not. my favorite mechanic has one chair, a fake plant, and a small counter. he rocks.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
The mechanic I went to before I moved had a small office with cheap wood paneling, bad coffee, two dusty old chairs to sit in and 10 year old magazines. But he did excellent work at a fair price, and even let me borrow specialty tools on occasion when I was fixing smaller stuff. I have yet to find anyplace that good in my current location.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Given that except under special circumstances, an oil change should never take more than 20 minutes and should never cost more than $25, then they must have been charging you far more than that if they were giving you a loaner car in the past.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
I can only assume that if such a place really exists, that it's out of my price range. I will further assume that the area it's in is also out of my price range.

Jim

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

- A service bay that, on any given day, looks like this

I just don't trust the places that have high-dollar waiting rooms and cushy places for people to wait. They have the wrong priorities IMO.

ZV

<3 944