How many books do you usually read a year ?

fatalbert

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
less now that I'm in college, but in high school I used to read about 50 books a year, on my own, and now that I'm in college I still read about 15 a year at least

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
we're looking at about 200-350 a year since college.
an easy 3-5 a week.
am reading:
haunted heartland, ticktock, the killing gift, dust to dust and the land god gave to cain right now.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundZero
an easy 3-5 a week.
am reading:
haunted heartland, ticktock, the killing gift, dust to dust and the land god gave to cain right now.

You honesty read a book in one day?
I'm talking novels, not comic books ;)

j/k

Hoever, I don't see why and how people read several books simultaneously...
Why not finish one before starting another?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
At least 2 a month average, but it varies depending on what else I'm doing and what new books are out that look interesting -- after 20+ years of reading SF & fantasy I've gone through all the existing books by authors I like, and at least 1 book each from most of the rest.

If I had a little more free time I'd also finish reading the rest of Twain (read most of his except the huck & tom books), take another crack at the Illiad (Odyssey was good), and read Dante's Inferno & Paradisio (Purgatorio was an interesting read).

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: deftron
Originally posted by: GroundZero
an easy 3-5 a week.
am reading:

You honesty read a book in one day?
I'm talking novels, not comic books ;)

j/k

Hoever, I don't see why and how people read several books simultaneously...
Why not finish one before starting another?

yes i read a book a day on average.
for one i can speed read. but that is besides the point. keep one at work, and several around the house. when i get bored with what i'm doing i grab one i am already reading. it depends on the mood i'm in as to wich one i continue reading. that is how i read several at one time.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Maybe 50 a year... hard to say, i don't keep counts. Some months i'll only read 1-3... and other months i'll read 20.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
I'm not trying to downplay anyone who speed reads or anything, but I'm just curious.

Do you really comprehend everything and pick up on minor details when you're doing that, or do you just kind of
get the gist of the story?

(Like someone who justs sees a movie vs. someone who watches it with a critical eye for technique, etc..)

And are these "involved" books ?"

(Like a popcorn movie vs. one that makes you think)

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I don't speed read, but why would you speed read books if you're not comprehending anything? Why waste your time?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Tons. I actually print out tons of stuff online and read it on paper. I print 4 pages of test per piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. punch it and put it in a binder. Someone asked me for a pic of this crap before in another thread and I tool a pic, but I can not locate it at the moment and I do not feel like doing it again. Suffice to say it was about 15 3 ring binders up to 5" in size for somewhere in the range of 4000 pages of 8 1/2 x 11, but since most have 4 actual pages of test per page, that is about 16,000 pages of actual text. I also have a ton of star trek books, dickens, eb white, and many many others.

To answer Deftron's question, I retain almost all of it. If I am reading a tech manual, I can probably remember 50% of the facts or procedures for a few days. After then if I do not use it retention probably drops to 25% for a year. After a year, maybe 5%. If it is for pleasure, I usually have to read it a few times, expecialy if it is somethign I have never read before. For instance, somone on AT suggested I read Ann Mcaffrey books (Dragons of Pern series). It took 2 reads of the first book before I actually understood 90% of what was going on. (she gets pretty deep, and doesn't explain the terms at all. you have to gleen it from the text and inflections in the verbage. Also learning 50 new characters is a little difficult as well) I am on to the 5th book in the series so far, and since the 2nd book, I have not had to reread one to understand something.

I like reading :)

4Lclovergirl

Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by: deftron
I'm not trying to downplay anyone who speed reads or anything, but I'm just curious.

Do you really comprehend everything and pick up on minor details when you're doing that, or do you just kind of
get the gist of the story?

(Like someone who justs sees a movie vs. someone who watches it with a critical eye for technique, etc..)

And are these "involved" books ?"

(Like a popcorn movie vs. one that makes you think)

I worked at a book store, and I had a method to the way I read, since I could take them out for free. I would basically "skim" a book first, I would read it, but in dull areas I could almost skip pages, but I still got the gist if I like it or not. If I like the book, I read it very indebth, getting everything i can out of it, and can then usaully see things that wouldn't have even made sense the first time until I knew the endind, all the subtle things. Finally, I read it a third time for pure enjoyment, since I know I like the book, can skip the parts I hate, and just enjoy it. Werid, I know.. but I still probably read 2-3 books a week over the summer. Weekends at the beach rock!

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Evadman
Tons. I actually print out tons of stuff online and read it on paper. I print 4 pages of test per piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. punch it and put it in a binder. Someone asked me for a pic of this crap before in another thread and I tool a pic, but I can not locate it at the moment and I do not feel like doing it again. Suffice to say it was about 15 3 ring binders up to 5" in size for somewhere in the range of 4000 pages of 8 1/2 x 11, but since most have 4 actual pages of test per page, that is about 16,000 pages of actual text. I also have a ton of star trek books, dickens, eb white, and many many others.

To answer Deftron's question, I retain almost all of it. If I am reading a tech manual, I can probably remember 50% of the facts or procedures for a few days. After then if I do not use it retention probably drops to 25% for a year. After a year, maybe 5%. If it is for pleasure, I usually have to read it a few times, expecialy if it is somethign I have never read before. For instance, somone on AT suggested I read Ann Mcaffrey books (Dragons of Pern series). It took 2 reads of the first book before I actually understood 90% of what was going on. (she gets pretty deep, and doesn't explain the terms at all. you have to gleen it from the text and inflections in the verbage. Also learning 50 new characters is a little difficult as well) I am on to the 5th book in the series so far, and since the 2nd book, I have not had to reread one to understand something.

I like reading :)

You ever thought of getting a PDA? I have tons of websites saved on my PDA, and at all times have a dozen or so books loaded as well.

A huge gripe of mine is the cost of ebooks. WTF? without the need for paper and production, you would think it would be quite a bit cheaper per book... like $1.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Moralpanic

You ever thought of getting a PDA? I have tons of websites saved on my PDA, and at all times have a dozen or so books loaded as well.

A huge gripe of mine is the cost of ebooks. WTF? without the need for paper and production, you would think it would be quite a bit cheaper per book... like $1.

I have tried it. I don't like it as much as paper. I also no longer have a PDA :)

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
I read almost every night before going to sleep. I had gone away from that in HS and college, but since then I've returned to my former status as an avid reader. Reading is awesome! I'd say I definitely read more than ten a year, no problem (and I'm a slow reader).