How many Americans deaths will Trump be directly responsible for due to COVID-45

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How many American will die due COVID-19 due to Trumps incompetence/indiference?

• 1,000,000+

Results are only viewable after voting.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Poll says how many people will die due to Trump's indifference/incompetence. I still see zero dead due to that. Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, I see a bunch of paranoid or giddy people thinking that more than 1 million will die. Wow! You guys really do live in an alternate reality.

You do understand how bad this virus is correct? This will make the 1918 flu look like the common cold in comparison. I really hope I am wrong about this. @Amused changed his mind based on the math.

Reactions: cytg111

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Poll says how many people will die due to Trump's indifference/incompetence. I still see zero dead due to that. Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, I see a bunch of paranoid or giddy people thinking that more than 1 million will die. Wow! You guys really do live in an alternate reality.
Willfully ignorant and dishonest. A great way to enter the thread!

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The only thing Trump is giving are false promises because he wants all of this to go quickly away. The stock market must be really crushing his ego.

Let's look at chloroquine which Trump said it's a "game changer." Dr. Fauci had to rein in Trump's remarks and stated that we need clinical trial before we know for sure. And, it's all anecdotal anyway. More testing needs to be done. Same with the drug Remdesivir. They both need months of clinical trials before we can even begin to treat patients.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, I got a request to expand web service capacity for some of the health insurance companies that I work with. They're getting ready for the onslaught of patients as well.

I already stood up some pretty large server clusters for 2019 Open Enrollment, though, so I think that they'll hold as long as zombies do not invade the server room :)

Sometimes the brain dead get badge access also :p

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You do understand how bad this virus is correct? This will make the 1918 flu look like the common cold in comparison. I really hope I am wrong about this. @Amused changed his mind based on the math.

The projections seem to indicate a death toll comparable to the 1918 flu if we did nothing to stop it. Now that we're doing this "shelter in place" quarantine craziness, I think that they're expecting to death toll to be lower.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The projections seem to indicate a death toll comparable to the 1918 flu if we did nothing to stop it. Now that we're doing this "shelter in place" quarantine craziness, I think that they're expecting to death toll to be lower.

It's hard to know because what shelter in place does is slow the spread not prevent infection. In theory it can lessen the health care load and that MAY decrease fatality rates but it's too soon to know if that will work.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I don't see 'a bunch' of such people. I think you see what you want to see, like a lot of conservatives.

I didn't vote because (a) I don't know how many people will die and (b) working out how many of those to ascribe to Trump's ineptitutude is something that can only be done long after the fact, and will never be possible to state with any confidence because it involves a counter-factual.

It's definitely the case that Trump's behaviour, his obviously inability to comprehend the nature of the problem, his obvious self-centred focus on the stock-market and his own business interests, will mean more people dying that would otherwise have done. But putting a number on it will be very, very hard. This _is_ a global problem, and the response has been weak across many different countries - Trump isn't the prime problem, I would say, he's just one manifestation of a global problem.

But that you see 'zero' extra deaths from that just tells me you aren't thinking very rationally about this.

It seems undeniable that if we ignored the problem and carried on unchanged that millions would die globally. But that was never going to happen, as people aren't capable of ignoring people dying around them. So our behaviour is changing and the death rates will hence be lower than that.

It does seem to be that we have built a global system that both makes the emergence of such diseases very likely, even inevitable, and leaves us quite vulnerable to the consequences.

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This was maybe the only opportunity for him to be and act presidential. He could have risen to the occasion and maybe salvaged some of his legacy. But he is incapable of it. Absolutely incapable. He's calling Covid19 the Chinese Virus and other GOP leaders are following his example. The people around him know the right way to handle things. But they can't stop him. instead of trying to work with the Chinese, he has to blame someone for his problems and he can't not be an asshole. Just can't, no matter what. Like so many societies before it, the US, hoist with it's own fucktard.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This was maybe the only opportunity for him to be and act presidential. He could have risen to the occasion and maybe salvaged some of his legacy. But he is incapable of it. Absolutely incapable. He's calling Covid19 the Chinese Virus and other GOP leaders are following his example. The people around him know the right way to handle things. But they can't stop him. instead of trying to work with the Chinese, he has to blame someone for his problems and he can't not be an asshole. Just can't, no matter what. Like so many societies before it, the US, hoist with it's own fucktard.
so, what you're saying, is SARS-cov-2 is not a liberal democratic deep state department chinese conspiracy hoax designed to make him specifically look bad?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I find it interesting to compare-and-contrast with Boris Johnson's performance. Honestly Johnson looks good in comparison with Trump (rather less so when viewed in isolation). Their personality flaws are clearly quite different.

Boris's big problem, aside from the ideological thing of being unhappy about any sort of state intervention or regulation, isn't Trump's need to blame someone, or his obsession with personal financial self interest, rather it's his extreme difficulty in maintaining the required level of seriousness and gravitas, and resisting inappropriate ironic clowning. Only Johnson would speak of a 'last gasp' effort when talking of the urgent need to obtain more ventilators for intensive care units.

(He'd do well on a forum like this, but it's not really appropriate for a Prime Minister of a country suffering a crisis)

Reactions: Thump553

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I upped my estimate from 100 to 10,000, just because these presidential daily briefings have been a total shitshow and they're causing people to panic.

I'm suprised that nobody here has tried to defend Trump's temper tantrum on that NBC reporter yet. Surely, there has to be someone here who agrees his actions. I don't know why, but I'd love the hear the rationale behind it.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Sad thing is many of our pharmaceuticals are MADE IN CHINA! The Chinese can put the screws to us if we push them in that direction.

Prarmaceutical companies have been offshoring our drugs to China for decades. $$PROFITS$$

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sad thing is many of our pharmaceuticals are MADE IN CHINA! The Chinese can put the screws to us if we push them in that direction.

Prarmaceutical companies have been offshoring our drugs to China for decades. $$PROFITS$$
Why do you hate America? The job creators will provide!

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
So are the 20 people that voted 0 going to change their votes seeing as we have already had way more than 0 deaths from this. I have thought that over 1 MILLION people in the United States and more than 50 MILLION worldwide will die since December.
I doubt it, there are still some that are singing the praises on the orange stain in the white house.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
Looking at the numbers today, the total number of global deaths from SARS-CoV-2 has just surpassed the number of deaths from the West Africa outbreak of Ebola from 2013-2016. Just a week ago people in this thread were trying to dismiss and downplay this virus because it isn't Ebola. Based on the numbers I've looked at, the total number of deaths from SARS-CoV-2 will likely surpass the combined total number of deaths from all known Ebola outbreaks since 1976 sometime this week if not in a few days.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
jesus read this guys account of getting sick in our medical system...

fucking doctors telling him to take ubers and shit? Like the fuck?

"I asked him if I tested positive for code 19 and they told me they would not be able to give me that information unless I pay them $200 over the phone."

fucking lol

To my friends and family who have been concerned and reaching out to me I just want you to know I see you, I hear you, and I have not been ignoring you. I’ve been very overwhelmed trying to stay healthy but I love all of you and appreciate the incredible support I have been getting.

For the last 3 weeks I have been battling COVID19 & Pneumonia. As someone who lives alone in a new city this has been the most terrifying 17 days of my life. I have never experienced an illness this intense that lasts this long.
I want to share what I’ve gone through to help people understand how sever this is even for people my age and how incredibly difficult it is to get access to crucial medical help and testing regardless of what you’re being to told by the media. Our government is incredibly unprepared. Hospitals are understaffed, and ambulances are out right turning people away.
My symptoms first started 17 days ago on March 3rd. I felt a bit weak like I was starting to get a cold so I decided to take it easy and rest. At first, it seemed like I was getting better. I even went grocery shopping and did laundry. by the next day however I was hit with a high fever, cold chills, headache, sinus pressure, and bodyaches. I tried staying in bed for the first week to sweat it out but found myself growing increasingly weak with a higher and higher temperature.
With no primary care doctor, I tried reaching out to multiple hospitals and doctors offices to get help and tested for Covid19. All of them treated me like a nuisance and turned me way. They laughed at me as if I was asking for something unreasonable or outright yelled at me to stop calling. I was given many different numbers to call but they all lead to hour long wait times and dead ends.
When I did finally get someone on the phone, Medical professionals told me my best course of action is to stay home and quarantine myself. I was told that I would get more sick if I went to a hospital and that no one has any tests. when I asked for medical advice no one could give me any, so I took some advice from a stranger And started mixing Motrin and Tylenol every two hours to try and bring my fever down. That ended up destroying my stomach, kidneys, and causing me to no longer keep solid food down.
By week 2, my symptoms got even worse. My fever was now above 104 and I found it increasingly harder to breath. Unable to eat I was rapidly losing weight. I started hallucinating. Seeing lines on the walls. Hearing voices through my phone even though it was not on. I would forget where I was.
Eventually it got so bad I called 911.
When the ambulance arrived I was told to meet them outside. They were wearing hazmat suits and none of them wanted to come near me. They told me to stay where I was but I was too weak to stand. I asked to lay on a stretcher but they told me to step back and take a seat on the ground. In doing so, I accidentally sat/laid in a pile of someone else’s vomit.
I told them my symptoms and that I was having trouble breathing. I told them I live alone with few supplies. That I was too weak to take care of myself and scared. They told me I seemed fine and should stay home because the beds at the hospital are reserved for people in critical condition. Then they read me some legal disclaimer and left.
Feeling alone and out of options, I called the CDC. After almost 2 hours of waiting on hold they told me to take an Uber to a walk-in clinic and have them send my swab to a testing lab. I stayed up all night then called the Uber to Hollywood walk-in clinic where they confirmed I had low oxygen / breathing trouble and tested me for the flu which came back negative.
When I asked the Doctor to send my swab to a lab provided by the CDC, he told me they can’t do that. They don’t have any labs they are working with and currently are unable to test for Covid19 then gave me a prescription for an inhaler and stomach acid reducer. The visit and inhaler cost me almost $200 out of pocket.
Over the course of the next few days my symptoms only continued to get worse. I couldn’t keep any food down, I was shedding weight, and the inhaler became less effective.
Afraid for my life and out of options I called 911 again.
The ambulance reacted the same way as last time. This time, telling me I’ll get more sick if they take me to the hospital because all the diseases and that I don’t want to pay $1000 for an ambulance ride since I don’t have health insurance.
Terrified I was going to stop breathing, I called my mom who lives in FL on FaceTime and had her stay up and montor me while I tried to sleep. That morning I took an Uber back to the walk in clinic as soon as it opened and demanded they give me something for my lungs and send my swab to a lab for Covid19 testing. They agreed and prescribed me a Z pak.
During this time my friends and family were the only thing keeping me alive. If it wasn’t for food and supplies sent to me by Rissa Mella, Lynda Dempsey Rodriguez , Nick Abt, Brittani Abt, and my Mom Anna Brown and Dad I would have been toast.
At this point I had been sick for 12 days and unable to eat for almost a week. I needed to take the Z pak to help clear the infection in my lungs but had to take it on a full stomach so I was doing everything I could to try and keep food down with no luck.
Eventually my breathing and stomach pain got so bad I started getting lightheaded and feeling like I was going to black out. I had no choice but to take an Uber to the closest hospital. Something I had been avoiding because I don’t have health insurance and the hospitals were pushing me away. I also didn’t want to run the risk of infecting an Uber driver but had no other way of getting the help I need.
I found a Community Hospital In Hollywood near my house that I actually picked up the phone and told me they had a bed available so I rushed there immediately. I didn’t mention to them that I was sick only that I couldn’t breathe that way they would turn me away.
Once I got to the hospital, I let everyone in the waiting room know I couldn’t breathe and needed oxygen. They just acted afraid of me and told me to put on a flu mask. I told them the mask was making my breathing even worse but they just stared at me and kept gossiping with each other then handed me medical Insurance papers to fill out.
Finally after begging for over 10 minutes to get oxygen someone brought me into an isolated room with an old broken leather-looking sofa chair. There was an old spoon on the floor.
This hospital was clearly under funded.
The paint was peeling off the walls. The medical gear in the room with me looked like it was from the 80s and hadn’t been turned on in decades. The oxygen tank they finally hooked me up to looked like it was from World War II.
The urgent care area was outdated and filthy looking. The urgent care doctors and nurses all acted completely aloof Ignoring me while I was yelling and signaling for their attention.
Finally after hours of waiting alone balled up in the center of the broken recliner chair, a doctor came in with a thick accent hard to understand. The very first thing he said to me was “You have sex with men?” I couldn’t understand why he was asking me this question but it only added to my anxiety about being in this place.
While waiting at the hospital for chest and stomach x-rays, I received a call from the lab my flu swab was sent to. I asked him if I tested positive for code 19 and they told me they would not be able to give me that information unless I pay them $200 over the phone. I was in shock. I told him I am in the hospital and they immediately got off the phone with me.
I informed the hospital and they tried reaching out to the lab to make them give the results with no luck. The lab refused to get them information.
After many hours of tests it was determined I had pneumonia and based on my other symptoms I was presumptively diagnosed with Covid19 and immediately quarantined in a private room.
The treatment from my first nurse was terrifying. He tried to be friendly but It was obvious he was not used to doing this kind of floor work. He was an older guy who said he has older people at home to think of and clearly wanted to be nowhere near me. I had my bed sheets tossed to me. I stayed in my street clothes.
My IV machine kept breaking. When I would buzz for the nurse it would take 45 minutes to an hour for him to show up and when he did he would just make jokes about how when Third World countries equipment breaks they send it to this hospital.
Even given the less than ideal situation I was still just so happy to finally be in a bed and feel like I was going to get the help I desperately needed.
That’s when I received a phone call from downstairs. It was the billing department informing me that my stay was going to require a three days admission and cost me $3400 upfront and out of pocket. If I was unable to pay I would not be able to stay. I was completely terrified. I could not afford to come out of pocket for that much and didn’t want to be thrown out on the street with pneumonia.
Fortunately, my family was able to help me cover the cost. Seemed very steep considering the state the hospital was in.
Thankfully the nurses I’ve had since have been amazing made me feel safe and taken care of. The wait times are still very long when I call for help but I’m assuming it’s because they are overwhelmed.
That is were i currently am. Getting treatment in isolation and working my way towards recovery.
Hopefully hearing my story will help give people an idea as to what to expect and what you may be up against in the fight to get treatment right now with the medical system as stressed and confused as it is. What you’re being told on the media about free coronavirus tests fast turnarounds And treatment available it’s just. These doctors are frayed and overwhelmed and if you are unfortunately alone like me you’re going to have to fight for your life to make sure you get the help you need.
Our government has clearly failed us and lied to everyone. Maybe by spreading this and making noise we can get them to make a change.
It’s times like this when I realize how lucky I really and to have so many incredibly amazing compassionate people care so much about me. I have never in my life felt more loved.
Even though this experience has been the most difficult and Trumatic thing I’ve ever gone through in my life, The silver lining is it’s also been eye-opening and completely heart-changing in the best possible way. I’ve gotten to reconnect with so many old friends and tell who my true friends are. I never knew I had so many great ones..
I’ve got nothing but love and gratitude in my heart and I just want to say thank you to everyone who reached out and showed you care. From the bottom of my heart, I love you.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So are the 20 people that voted 0 going to change their votes seeing as we have already had way more than 0 deaths from this. I have thought that over 1 MILLION people in the United States and more than 50 MILLION worldwide will die since December.
Clearly you don't understand the question in the poll.

The correct answer is, and always will be, 0.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

...a chud screamed as his lungs liquified.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

So an early response from the federal government to get medical supplies and testing kits and prepare the country for what’s coming would have saved 0 people versus pretending it’s not a problem and will go away on its own. Okay. Someone sure doesn’t understand the question and I’m pretty sure it isn’t him.