How many Americans deaths will Trump be directly responsible for due to COVID-45

Page 311 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How many American will die due COVID-19 due to Trumps incompetence/indiference?

• 1,000,000+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There it is.

Bold italicized and underlined. You forgot the Bootstraps.
but individuals also have a level of personal responsibility

However, a majority of Americans don't have the ability to assume that responsibility. They've been conditioned to not dive deep into complex matters and come to their own conclusions. Misinformation is one thing, disinformation is another and Trump and Associates have been promulgating the former but also the latter in good measure. They bear major responsibility for blowing the US pandemic response. Worse, many of them are doing their best to extend the pandemic. They want Biden's attempt to quell it to fail. That's what DeSantis and Abbott (and other GQP) are all about now.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
but individuals also have a level of personal responsibility

However, a majority of Americans don't have the ability to assume that responsibility. They've been conditioned to not dive deep into complex matters and come to their own conclusions. Misinformation is one thing, disinformation is another and Trump and Associates have been promulgating the former but also the latter in good measure. They bear major responsibility for blowing the US pandemic response. Worse, many of them are doing their best to extend the pandemic. They want Biden's attempt to quell it to fail. That's what DeSantis and Abbott (and other GQP) are all about now.
My point is the Trump gang blew it, many governors continue to blow it, and plenty of people who drank the Kool-Aid also blew it. It's far too simplistic to say Trump is directly responsible for 800,000 American deaths, which is the subject of this thread. That basically implies nobody else is responsible for anything, which is a crock.

You make it sound like dealing with the pandemic on an individual level was rather complex, but it isn't. Wear a mask in public indoor settings, socially distance if you can, and get vaccinated if you're age 12+. None of that is rocket science, so let's not let people off the hook because they chose to be covidiots about things. Some may be dumb as rocks, but they also have free will to act responsibly or otherwise.

I understand you're saying citizens have been used as pawns in a national political game, and while true, that doesn't absolve people of all responsibility.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
My point is the Trump gang blew it, many governors continue to blow it, and plenty of people who drank the Kool-Aid also blew it. It's far too simplistic to say Trump is directly responsible for 800,000 American deaths, which is the subject of this thread. That basically implies nobody else is responsible for anything, which is a crock.

You make it sound like dealing with the pandemic on an individual level was rather complex, but it isn't. Wear a mask in public indoor settings, socially distance if you can, and get vaccinated if you're age 12+. None of that is rocket science, so let's not let people off the hook because they chose to be covidiots about things. Some may be dumb as rocks, but they also have free will to act responsibly or otherwise.

I understand you're saying citizens have been used as pawns in a national political game, and while true, that doesn't absolve people of all responsibility.
Hundreds of thousands of people have died directly based on Trump. #1 refuse to wear a mask. #2 refuse to be vaccinated. Those are deaths are directly attributed to Trump.

Additional, there are hundreds of thousands of people that are collateral damage and have died as COVID because they were infected by the anti-vax/anti-mask Trumpanzees.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I do not disagree with this. However, a large percentage of the American public are/were not up to the level of personal responsibility you speak of and hundreds of thousands of them are now deceased by virtue of covid-19. Trump and Company have their blood on their hands. There will be many more such deaths, they are mounting over 1400/day presently.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
On one hand, smaller % of the population... on the other hand we have modern medicine including monoclonal antibody therapy and a literal miracle in the form of MRNA Vaccines... but then on the OTHER OTHER hand we have anti-vaxers and "plandemic" types so yeah.

I don't know where I was going with that.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
We just passed 750,000 dead from Covid-19.

Woohoo .... I called it! :confused:

(only because originally 700k was the highest choice)

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

I'm sad to report that 1 year later, I too am unfortunately close in my prediction of 943,350. This is one case where predicting right is nothing to celebrate. Lets prove me wrong, and keep it under 800k!

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Um, I think the max was originally 1,000,000 (which was my vote because it was so ungranular I had to choose between 1M and 100k).

Edit: Just checked and every choice (other than Zero) is a factor of ten greater than the last. I think it was that way from the start.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Um, I think the max was originally 1,000,000 (which was my vote because it was so ungranular I had to choose between 1M and 100k).

Edit: Just checked and every choice (other than Zero) is a factor of ten greater than the last. I think it was that way from the start.

Wow .... could have sworn I picked whatever the highest number was so maybe I went with a million myself.

There may even be a post to that effect from last year buried in this beast of a thread somewhere.

Don't care nearly enough to search for it though... sadly I'll likely be right either way in 6 months.

Reactions: Muse

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
All because Donald had a boner for slashing government programs.

Don't forget that a lot of this is also because Trump said some stupid things early on in the
Pandemic and instead of admitting he was wrong he just kept doubling down on the stupid.

There was no reason to make mask mandates a political issue.
There was no reason to make the vaccine a political issue.
This was all just Trump saying something stupid, and when it turned out to be stupid him deciding to make a conspiracy issue about it instead of admitting he made a mistake.

Probably half of the American casualties of this disease can be attributed to Trump's need to assert a toxic masculine image.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I picked a million and it looks like we are on track.

All because Donald had a boner for slashing government programs.
The only boners trump gets is for trump. I suspect that drugs and devices are required for boners to occur.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
What, the American people who ignored masks / distance aren't responsible for their own actions?

People follow where leadership leads. It is the literal point of leaders.
We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individuals who make up our own mind and do our own thing. It is mostly bullshit. We don't have the time to learn everything we need to navigate this world that way, so we listen to what our leaders tell us and follow their lead much of the time.

Toxic masculine image...

:rolleyes:
Yes. Masculinity is not inherently toxic, but like anything when taken too far it becomes so. Trump is so desperate to cast an image of being 'Alpha', or whatever he thinks of it as, that he causes real harm to people. That is toxic.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
And one year later republicans continue to knowingly push a false narrative on freedom of choice and blocking active actions to reduce infection rate putting (potential) political gain over people welfare. Worse it seems to work.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Don't forget that a lot of this is also because Trump said some stupid things early on in the
Pandemic and instead of admitting he was wrong he just kept doubling down on the stupid.

There was no reason to make mask mandates a political issue.
There was no reason to make the vaccine a political issue.
This was all just Trump saying something stupid, and when it turned out to be stupid him deciding to make a conspiracy issue about it instead of admitting he made a mistake.

Probably half of the American casualties of this disease can be attributed to Trump's need to assert a toxic masculine image.

Yep, lets all blame Trump when there were also other political idiots doing their own best to kill people...
Like Pelosi urged everyone to come to ChinaTown to shop and eat because "She is there, and it is safe."
That was politically motivated and also killed many people from Covid.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yep, lets all blame Trump when there were also other political idiots doing their own best to kill people...
Like Pelosi urged everyone to come to ChinaTown to shop and eat because "She is there, and it is safe."
The fuck? Chinatown in SF? SF, which has one of the lowest infection rates per capita for a large city? Yeah. She led her constituents to the slaughter there 🙄

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Got any evidence for that claim?

Seems strange to go for such a dubious example when if you wanted to invoke a Democrat you could have just cited Andrew Cuomo and nursing homes. Or if you just want a politician who isn't Trump you could have cited almost any notable Republican.

Mar 11, 2004
The fuck? Chinatown in SF? SF, which has one of the lowest infection rates per capita for a large city? Yeah. She led her constituents to the slaughter there 🙄

Because they've got raging hate boners for every Dem woman, so they don't give a shit if they're spewing lies trying to both sides situations to stand up for their right wing demi-Gods.

People follow where leadership leads. It is the literal point of leaders.
We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individuals who make up our own mind and do our own thing. It is mostly bullshit. We don't have the time to learn everything we need to navigate this world that way, so we listen to what our leaders tell us and follow their lead much of the time.

Yes. Masculinity is not inherently toxic, but like anything when taken too far it becomes so. Trump is so desperate to cast an image of being 'Alpha', or whatever he thinks of it as, that he causes real harm to people. That is toxic.

If its the type of masculinity pushed by people like Turmp it actually is inherently toxic. Its not masculinity its misogyny, and its what leads to the strain of rapist, self-destructive, actively harmful to both themself and everyone around them lunatic assholes that Republicans worship.