How low can it go?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
How low can a T7300 downclock itsself when it overheats and throttles down speed? I dont mean the powersaving measures, the lowest it goes on that is 1Ghz i think, i mean the if it dosent downclock and lose heat it dies measure.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
you mean the thing where the CPU downclocks itself if it gets to 105 degrees Celsius? I don't know how low it will go. but I do know that it will NOT stop a cpu from EXPLODING or MELTING if you run it without any cooling.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Originally posted by: taltamir
you mean the thing where the CPU downclocks itself if it gets to 105 degrees Celsius? I don't know how low it will go. but I do know that it will NOT stop a cpu from EXPLODING or MELTING if you run it without any cooling.

I'm pretty sure it will, actually. I think it was only older CPUs without thermal throttling that could explode (sometimes just smoke, sometimes actual smoking projectiles). Everything since roughly the Pentium 4 era will shut off automatically within seconds of being turned on if no heatsink is attached.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As I understand it, it's the mobo (BIOS and sensors) that shut off the PC in case of overheat. Intel's thermal throttling does just that - throttle.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky

I'm pretty sure it will, actually. I think it was only older CPUs without thermal throttling that could explode (sometimes just smoke, sometimes actual smoking projectiles). Everything since roughly the Pentium 4 era will shut off automatically within seconds of being turned on if no heatsink is attached.

Yeah i saw that tomshardware video too :)

So how low can it go? Is there even a limit really?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky

well... it is possible that the videos i have seen involved people turning off the thermal throttle (you can do that in the bios)... and the exploded i7 i saw was an engineering sample....

So I'll concede the point, if it is working correctly and you haven't disabled it (for some reason some people think it is needed to disable to overclock) than it will stop it from melting or exploding.