How low can it go? The ATi vs. nVidia price war is really heating up

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
1,827
0
0
ATi fired first with HD4850 at about $150 after all kinds of rebates, then nVidia followed with 9800GTX/GTX+ price cuts to match, and then ATi had HD4870 coming down near to $270 price point after rebates, and now nVidia added fuel to fire with GTX260 to match and beat it.

THe biggest sufferers from it all? the old nVidia performance leaders such as 8800GT/GTX. Those prices are dropping down like mad. It's amazing how much a little competition can do.

 

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
1,709
0
0
That's what they get for flooding the market place with 5-7 models of each architecture, year after year. Pick any random number from 10-300, and you can find a video card for sale at that price point.

-Decent benefit for ATI/nVidia: They can sell something to anyone,
-Decent benefit for consumers: Wide selection and bargain prices, if you can wade through the long list of options to find the right one for you.
 

LordGestle

Senior member
Jan 2, 2001
764
0
0
The price war will go until I buy something. After I make that purchase I will try my best to not watch the continued falling prices and make a thread about how I was ripped off by X company for jumping in to early;)
 

unr3al

Senior member
Jun 10, 2008
214
1
81
www.link-up.co.za
Well the HD3850's price has halved in the last 2-3 months here in SA, so I'm happy... lol paying R1400 for a 512MB PowerColor card is quite to my taste! Isn't this insane that I'm drooling over an HD3850 going for around 170USD? Good grief this is utter madness.
 

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
1,421
0
0
Originally posted by: GundamF91
ATi fired first with HD4850 at about $150 after all kinds of rebates, then nVidia followed with 9800GTX/GTX+ price cuts to match, and then ATi had HD4870 coming down near to $270 price point after rebates, and now nVidia added fuel to fire with GTX260 to match and beat it.

THe biggest sufferers from it all? the old nVidia performance leaders such as 8800GT/GTX. Those prices are dropping down like mad. It's amazing how much a little competition can do.
Here in Canada $250 after rebates for a HD4870. If I wasn't waiting for a HD4870X2 I would already possess it... :)
 

Grinja

Member
Jul 31, 2007
168
0
0
Originally posted by: unr3al
The cheapest HD4870 I've seen over here was around R3500. That means something like 450USD... O_O
They were available at computersonly for R3200 ... that was a special though over 4 days. I was a bit hacked cause I picked one up two days before they ran that special :/
 

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
5,223
61
91
These are really good prices for people with cards a few generations back, or for those looking to get into PC gaming. I can't see a need for most users to upgrade from the G80 or G92 type cards to these new ones.
 

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
13,576
6
76
i still can't beleive the 4850 can be had for 140$ (so I am told) and the GTX 260 SC from eVGA for 225$
but then, I actually ORDERED it...
 

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
1,827
0
0
Originally posted by: taltamir
i still can't beleive the 4850 can be had for 140$ (so I am told) and the GTX 260 SC from eVGA for 225$
but then, I actually ORDERED it...
No kidding. A couple of years ago, the performance cards are in the $300 price range.
 

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
6,374
1
76
best deals right now IMO, are:

1. hd4850 for $139

2. 8800gt for $100

3. gtx260 for $225

oh and

4. R700 for $450 - $550

 

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
17,305
1,001
126
I have no real good reason to upgrade from my 2900Pro. With my 22" display it handles everything I throw at it (I am on XP, so DX9) without any problems. But these new cards are affecting some non-logical part of my brain, making me want one. Oh well, buying a new video card for <$300 every 12-18 months is much cheaper then my other hobbies.
 

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
13,576
6
76
Originally posted by: jaredpace
4. R700 for $450 - $550
Funny you should say that... the big bad R700 that has been driving down prices is only set to releast on the 12th... more then two weeks from now.
10 days later the 55nm G200b is supposed to be released.
 

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
6,294
171
106
Absolutely crazy that the 8800gt is 100 bucks now, how long ago was it that the 8600GTS was the $100 card? And what games have come out since then?

Basically, with the same freaking games available the once basically top end 250 dollar 8800GT is now a budget card.
 

Zoomer

Senior member
Dec 1, 1999
257
0
71
I have a x1950 Pro.

Must...resist! At least until cards with aftermarket coolers arrive! Must...argh...resist! :p
 

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
10,757
3
81
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777
These are really good prices for people with cards a few generations back, or for those looking to get into PC gaming. I can't see a need for most users to upgrade from the G80 or G92 type cards to these new ones.
AoC at 1920x1200.
 

octopus41092

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2008
1,839
0
76
Originally posted by: Zoomer
I have a x1950 Pro.

Must...resist! At least until cards with aftermarket coolers arrive! Must...argh...resist! :p
Lol, thats what I had then I bought a HD4850 and swapped the cooler myself
 

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
13,576
6
76
so... anyone thinks the 4850 or the 9800 will hit 100$? the 4870 and GTX 260 hit 200$?
 

Emo

Senior member
Oct 9, 1999
349
0
0
Originally posted by: taltamir
so... anyone thinks the 4850 or the 9800 will hit 100$? the 4870 and GTX 260 hit 200$?
Sure! It's just a matter of time.
 

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
13,576
6
76
well... the 260 is now available for 225$, the 4870 for 245, and the 4850 for 140$.
 

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
11,143
32
91
Originally posted by: taltamir
well... the 260 is now available for 225$, the 4870 for 245, and the 4850 for 140$.
4850 for $140 is probably as low as it will have to go until gt200 comes out with a midrange offering. at that price it can scoop up everything above $100 and below 4870/gtx260 levels since there's no sense in paying $40 less for 1/2 the performance and even less sense in paying any more for the same or less performance. however, I have a feeling that nvidia is not going to take this lying down. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 256 bit/gddr 5 card that is ~ gtx 260 competing with 4850 by xmas.
 

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
4,537
0
76
Originally posted by: taltamir
so... anyone thinks the 4850 or the 9800 will hit 100$? the 4870 and GTX 260 hit 200$?
If it goes the way of the previous series then the 4850 it will hit the $100 mark right aroudn the time the 5850's are released....
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY