How loud are laptop fans?

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
The reason i ask is because i got the P-7805u from best buy, and while the thing is awesome, it has an annoying fan that comes on when the GPU hits 50C, and brings it back down to 42C, and repeat. Its annoying because its loud and startling. Are ALL laptops this loud?

They said i could exchange it, but i dont know if i have unrealistic expectations. its definitely the GPU fan. any thoughts before i go through this all?

thanks

MOD EDIT: Moving to SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs - Zap

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
my t60 fan is a little noisy...but it has a buzz i cant get out of it, despite several cleanings. before the buzz i barely noticed it was running.

and thats the cpu fan

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I think this is a safety feature because of the Geforce video. 'Technically' I'm not sure it affects the GeForce 9800M but there were problems with the 8xxxMs ...

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
I think this is a safety feature because of the Geforce video. 'Technically' I'm not sure it affects the GeForce 9800M but there were problems with the 8xxxMs ...

you think if i go to best buy and tell them that the fan is spinning up every couple minutes and getting the temp down, and repeating it they will let me do an exchange? the guy said he would let me exchange it because the screens were better on some that others so ill use that too...dont know though.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
It's kinda hard to get any straight dope on this. AFAIK your system would be operating as designed within specifications. It is possible, I reckon, that you got one with a loud fan.

The remedy for the 8xxxMs was a BIOS patch which spun the fans to a high rate at boot. Apple is providing free repair or reimbursement for repairs, and a 2-year warranty.

I believe if your rig was manufactured after September/2008 it should not be effected with this specific issue.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
well its a 9800, so not the same thing i guess. i think i am returning it tomorrow, with or without the restocking fee. i supposed that ive gotten somewhat used to the fan, but im pretty sure i wont have to pay any fee because the display screen had a different res than this screen and ill just say it was false advertising.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
laptops have hot components in a tiny area with a tiiiiny fan there to cool the whole thing. Especially with discreet graphics you can't have your cake and eat it too. Its going to be loud at times even at the most downclocked levels. It has to remove all that heat every so often out of the system. I doubt they'll let you do an exchange because quite frankly it sounds like its operating just fine.