How long would a desktop terminal be down for when upgrading from win 7 to win 10

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Should i expect a long downtime at work or will it upgrade in the background and just be a quick restart

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Should i expect a long downtime at work or will it upgrade in the background and just be a quick restart
Depends on how fast it is, but expect a couple hours. AFAIK the upgrades are full-screened so you can't exactly continue working.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Fuck, that is not what I wanted to hear. Im fucked
Why? What is this terminal and why does it have to be upgraded, followed by who is caring if it's non-functional for several hours?

Answer those questions, then re-evaluate how you're upgrading it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Depending on your access level, it might be faster to wipe and reinstall everything
Also this, unless the system is pretty well stripped down, there's a nonzero chance it won't work correctly coming back up. Win upgrades traditionally suck (though they have gotten better).

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Why? What is this terminal and why does it have to be upgraded, followed by who is caring if it's non-functional for several hours?

Answer those questions, then re-evaluate how you're upgrading it.
Work in a Hospital. They are doing a hospital wide upgrade tonight on the graveyard shift. I work the graveyard shift...

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Work in a Hospital. They are doing a hospital wide upgrade tonight on the graveyard shift. I work the graveyard shift...
So I assume all of this was planned out and tested in advance right? Are you part of the upgrade team, or some poor shlub that's losing access to his system for several hours?

Why are you specifically fucked here?

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
So I assume all of this was planned out and tested in advance right? Are you part of the upgrade team, or some poor shlub that's losing access to his system for several hours?

They don't test at work. Im just a Poor shub losing access

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
They don't test at work. Im just a Poor shub losing access
How are you fucked then? And that's bad practice if they're not testing.

I have concerns that they are only now upgrading Win7 to Win10, given that they've had years to do this until this point. There's also a nonzero probability it will fail catastrophically if they truly haven't tested any of this. How many computers are there? 100? 1000?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

I'd guess they would be using thin clients, so they will just re-deploy VM's rather than actually upgrading the individual computers. I'm not that familiar with how hospitals are usually setup though.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'd guess they would be using thin clients, so they will just re-deploy VM's rather than actually upgrading the individual computers. I'm not that familiar with how hospitals are usually setup though.
Maybe, OP isn't super-clear (and may lack the answer to this).

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I wonder what would happen if you worked at a hospital, but you called in sick and had to go to said hospital to get something done to you. Technically, you would still be able to come into work... o_O