How long will Windows 7 be available to buy?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Kippa, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Kippa

Kippa Senior member

I love windows 7, but don't like the look of windows 8. I am not upgrading to a new computer soon, but when I do I will want to have Windows 7 on it. How long they be selling Windows 7 for? If they stop selling it soon I might buy a copy for my new system in a year or two. I just want to know how long it will be available.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - long Windows Forum Date
    Why is windows 10 update taking so long? Operating Systems Oct 15, 2016
    Long-Term Windows 7 Support: Broadwell-E Operating Systems Jul 29, 2016
    Windows 10 Insider Preview - how long for free? Operating Systems Apr 10, 2016
    Long file path issue in Windows 7 - how to delete???? Operating Systems Apr 5, 2016
    where can I find last long in and prior log in for windows 7 guest account? Operating Systems Apr 23, 2013

3. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

In a year or two you'll be more than half way to the Win9 release. Imo it's silly to cling on to old tech. It's gonna get old, and eventually unsupported. Either get on board with MS, or get off(I suggest Linux Mint). I don't have an answer to your question, but in a couple years, I'm sure all the official channels won't have Win7 anymore.

4. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

XP was available until 2008, full 7 yrs after release. There was some exception for low-end PCs until 2010. Companies that have licensing plan could get XP even in 2012.
    Since Win 7 is the OS of choice for business world, probably it will be similar to Windows XP.

5. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

Still using Windows XP pro on an old work computer. I will upgrade but see no need for Windows 8 because that would be overkill I feel.

6. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

Heh I am using it on my brand new PC. Great for all DX9- games.

7. John Connor

John Connor Lifer

Windows 7 will be available for some time on [warez site name removed]. :D

*glare of death*
    -ViRGE

edit- Oh come on. M$ sucks [redacted]!

No profanity in the tech forums, please
    -ViRGE

#6 John Connor, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  8. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

MS won't stop selling it any time soon. It's expected that they'll be selling it through at least the fall of 2013 (4 years post-launch) if not into 2014. That would be at least as long as Vista, which was a wholly unpopular OS.

9. Kippa

Kippa Senior member

Ah well it is reassuirng that when I get my new rig I will probably be able to get Win 7 Pro again. :)

10. Zxian

Zxian Senior member

11. coloumb

coloumb Diamond Member

Windows 8 + ClassicShell [or the other popular start menu addons] = faster Windows 7.

I like ClassicShell as it boots me into the desktop.. the only time I interact with Win8 is whenever I want to run a Win8 app [pinball, solitaire, etc] :)

12. BlakeBang

BlakeBang Member

Windows 7 will not get SP2 so it's pretty clear that Microsoft is in no mood to promote windows 7 and there isn't any reason why it should be Windows 7 after a couple of years.

13. jobz

jobz Member

If you are using win7, there is no reason to upgrade. Just wait for win9 or later.

If you are still using xp, remember support ends next year. You may as well take advantage of promotion period before it price bumped up to 199 in feb.

14. Mem

Mem Lifer

No need for XP,you can download latest version of DX9.0c for Vista/Win7 etc from Microsoft website,also DOSBox works fine for most of the very old DOS games....Btw I'm playing Icewind Dale,BG etc on Win8 Pro X64 ,these games were made before even XP was available ;) .

#13 Mem, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013