How long to find an IT job

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: nebula
What's the penalty for breaking your lease? If you get a nice job offer somewhere and have to relocate, burning $100 or so wouldn't be the end of the world, not for a good job.

Take the shortest lease you can, and renew it if need be. But you should try to get some idea of the penalty first. A good contract should have it in there, otherwise you'll have to try to find out without letting on you may be breaking your lease. If it's not spelled out, who knows what they'll make up at that time.

Have you lived there for awhile? Maybe they'll let you have a shorter lease.

Paying out the remaining months at 460 a month :D Needless to say that gets expensive quickly

What are your salary expectations? If you just want to find an IT related job after graduation, then look into the public school systems, those jobs are relatively easy to get, pay ranges from low to mid $30K.
I dont really have any salary expectations since it will all depend on where I live. I think public school admin would be pretty boring though, I really want more of an internet involved organization like isps and telcos. I'm afraid thats the part thats going to take a while.

Fwiw I turned in my notice earlier to end my lease in May. I figure i'll find some place else here to live even if its crappy until I can find a new job :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's so hugely dependent on location and your proficiency, and those who you know can't help either. I do think that things are easier than they were, say, a year ago. And, your experience is helpful, but I'd be lying if I gave out an estimate on how long it will take you to find a job. It could take 2 weeks, or never. I have a friend who has his degree in some crap, and then went to an IT school, and it took him over a year to finally accept a help desk job. He is 26 and lives with his parents. Course, he lives in nova scotia, canada, so it's his own fvcking fault at this stage.

Goodluck - and you can always get out of a lease, even if you have to pay 1-2 months worth in penalties.

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
I'm a freshman at NJIT, and pursuing an IT major. I have no job exp, anyone want to hire me? :)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: cw42
I'm a freshman at NJIT, and pursuing an IT major. I have no job exp, anyone want to hire me? :)
The absolute best thing you can do for yourself are PLENTY of internships. Do them even if they are non-paying. Experience is key.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Unemployed 2 years and 3 months running after getting laid off from my last IT position. Not for lack of trying to find anything either. If you're an entry level job hunter, you had better hope your skill set includes ALL major tools and/or 10+ years of experience, because most companies aren't hiring niche IT folks anymore. They want someone they can pay squat, and have run the whole IT department from SysAdmin to software development with a smattering of Web/Internet in the middle.

Having a BS means nothing anymore in this field. I'm kicking myself for not going for pharmacy 8 years ago like I should have.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Unemployed 2 years and 3 months running after getting laid off from my last IT position. Not for lack of trying to find anything either. If you're an entry level job hunter, you had better hope your skill set includes ALL major tools and/or 10+ years of experience, because most companies aren't hiring niche IT folks anymore. They want someone they can pay squat, and have run the whole IT department from SysAdmin to software development with a smattering of Web/Internet in the middle.

Having a BS means nothing anymore in this field. I'm kicking myself for not going for pharmacy 8 years ago like I should have.

If you'd gone the pharmacy route, you'd be making ~80K (depending on location, maybe higher, maybe lower) working a job you probably hate. My ex g/f's brother is a pharmacist working for Rite-Aid, and he hates the job. I'd hate working in such a tiny area every day having to deal with constant questions from cranky people about medications.. and counting pills all day. No thanks.

I was unemployed from Oct 2002 until the end of last month (with the exception of attempting to join the army, and not being able to go through with it thanks to a bone spur in my left heel). Technically, I don't work in "IT", but more in the Layer 4/7 networking space.

selene

Nov 3, 2003
I graduate with degree in Econoimc & Political Science in 1999, my last year gross was 200,000.15. Depend how good you are. As said, your best bet is Califorina / NY, lots of hedgefunds (trading company, stocks, bonds, etc.) around NY area. Networking (cisco) are better choice. I see a lot of customers wanting higher speed networking, multi T1 (bonding, CEF) or DS3. Acquire more cisco skills and fall back on Network/System Administrator.

If you need to live month to month, there is usually a local YMCA that will do it.. yes its crap but you'll save..

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Originally posted by: SunnyD

If you'd gone the pharmacy route, you'd be making ~80K (depending on location, maybe higher, maybe lower) working a job you probably hate. My ex g/f's brother is a pharmacist working for Rite-Aid, and he hates the job. I'd hate working in such a tiny area every day having to deal with constant questions from cranky people about medications.. and counting pills all day. No thanks.

I was unemployed from Oct 2002 until the end of last month (with the exception of attempting to join the army, and not being able to go through with it thanks to a bone spur in my left heel). Technically, I don't work in "IT", but more in the Layer 4/7 networking space.

If I had gone the pharmacy route, at least I would have about $160,000 more over the last two years rather than about $40,000 in debt. Personally, I'd rather hate my job and have less worries about my finances rather than live in a craphole on the virge of getting evicted monthly, wonder if I can afford clothing for my kids at they grow, and hoping I can pay a bill or so every month for whatever is late.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: cw42
The absolute best thing you can do for yourself are PLENTY of internships. Do them even if they are non-paying. Experience is key.

Sorry, but I would NEVER take an unpaid internship just for job experience. It sends a bad message to the HR department when it comes time to negotiate your base salary.