How long is medication good for after the expiration date

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gothgar, Aug 26, 2009.

1. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

I mean it doesn't spoil, so what's the deal? I guess it just loses it's potency? I've been taking ibuprofen out of this large bottle that expired 4 years ago.

2. Gothgar

Gothgar Lifer

There are a few things that are bad to take after the expire, ibuprofen is not one of them, it should work fine for a long time

er.... uhm, OP below

3. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt Lifer

The sell by date is a law and only means that the manufacturer guarantees safety and full strength by that date. After the sell-by date the drug might start to lose *some* of its effectiveness, but will very rarely ever be dangerous. Even 10 year old ibuprofen might still be 75% as strong as the new stuff.

4. marvdmartian

marvdmartian Diamond Member

If it's still working, then I'd have to say.......4+ years!! ;)

5. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Yep...really depends on what the medication is and how it's stored, but ibuprofen should be fine unless it's stored laying on the window sill in the sun...or under water...:p

MOST medication expiration dates merely refer to the potency...after that date, it may start losing strength. (as gag already said)

I have pain meds in my emergency box that are over 10 years old...and the last time I needed one, it worked just like the day it was "new." (gawd I hate those fucking opiate based pain meds...)

6. SarcasticDwarf

SarcasticDwarf Diamond Member

That might hold true for solid medications, but I would be very, very wary of gel, time release, and particularly liquid medications.

7. PottedMeat

PottedMeat Lifer

Yeah, I've got hydrocodone/Vicodin about that old that works fine when I need it. I wish it didn't make me nauseous and want to vomit.

8. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

I guess more googling is saying of course it all depends on the drug, of course. I was having a hard time understanding why it would "go bad" but apparently it has to do with the stability of the compound/chemical and any impurities. I thought maybe it was halflife or decay but I guess not. It's reaction with air/humidity/light, etc - basically anything that can cause a chemical reaction.