How long has your win2k machine been running?

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I keep mine on 24/7, so just wondering how many others out there do. If you hit "CTRL+ALT+ESC" it will bring up the Task manager...click on "processes"...the one at the very top is "System Idle Process"

The column right next to it will tell you how many hours/minutes/seconds your PC has been running. Mine is:

842:43:15

35 days, 2 hours, 43 minutes and 15 seconds.

~zonker~

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000
I usually just leave my computer on, but I rebooted yesterday because my DSL was dropping out. It was the ISP, obviously. I'm only at 22 hours at the moment

claw

Jan 13, 2000
Well, sometimes I reboot into Linux, so the uptime never gets up that high... but before I installed linux, I think my longest was somewhere around 20 days before I decided to reboot. It still hasn't crashed on me.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
sorry to burst your bubble, but 35 days isn't even remotely impressive :)

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
0:55:31

What I dont understand is why you guys keep your systems up for so long. (Unless your running a server).

Everytime I install a new version of Nero I have to reboot, everytime I change soundcard drivers I have to reboot. If I had an NVidia video card I would have to reboot at least every few weeks to update the drivers.

I'm always installing/uninstalling programs and it usually asks to reboot the computer. Do you guys just not reboot? Or not make any changes to your system?

How long does it take to boot?

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You don't have to reboot when you install most of that stuff. Nero: no. Drivers, yes, but I only install drivers after they've been proven to be stable and work BETTER than the previous version (echem, 6.01)

And yes I do run a server. Several. FTP, Napster (if you count that as a server) and fserve on IRC. I just don't have any reason to turn it off...win2k takes a long time to boot up, so I'd rather just keep it on. Power bill isn't that much higher.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
How long does it take to boot on your computer?

It takes roughly the same as 98 did on my machine.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Takes me a lot longer. I don't know, I've never timed it, it just seems like a lot longer time to load. Also a lot longer to shut down. Small price to pay for great stability (well, as great as any Windows OS can get)

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
my win98 has been going for 5days 19hrs 22minutes now..
think it can do 35 days? :)

-patchy

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
W2K Adv Server running at home for 41 Days, 4 Hours so far. It was up for about 50 days before that but I had to reboot because I updated some software. I found that enableing the network traffic icon in the system tray is a better indicator or uptime. The system idle process loses some hours to other processes.

One Novell server at work was running for 400 days+ before a extended power outage ended that one.

Windogg

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
My Linux server is always up, for as long as it needs to be. The only time it goes down is when I change hardware or upgrade the kernel.

My Linux workstation, however, has crashed a few times when screwing around with experimental drivers and Quake 3.