How long for checks to clear?

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I swear, I can never get a straight answer from the tellers. One time I deposited a $35k check into my business account. It took 2 days to clear and it was a local bank. Well, they cleared $7k the following day but the rest was placed in my account another day later. A week ago I deposited a $9k check that cleared the following day.

Well, today I deposited a $1k check and the girl told me it would take 2 days. It's from Ohio, but dang, can they be consistent?! Does anyone here work for a bank. what's the rule of thumb on a check? I was hoping to go on a shopping spree this weekend.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: lilcam
I swear, I can never get a straight answer from the tellers. One time I deposited a $35k check into my business account. It took 2 days to clear and it was a local bank. Well, they cleared $7k the following day but the rest was placed in my account another day later. A week ago I deposited a $9k check that cleared the following day.

Well, today I deposited a $1k check and the girl told me it would take 2 days. It's from Ohio, but dang, can they be consistent?! Does anyone here work for a bank. what's the rule of thumb on a check? I was hoping to go on a shopping spree this weekend.

it all depends.

The last check I deposisted cleared the same day and I'm in Tx while the check was from NJ.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You need to establish a relationship with your local bank branch. Get to know the manager and the people working in the branch. If your acct is in good standing and you regularly deposit those checks, they will never place any hold on your checks regardless of origin. They never place hold on my business checks no matter how large or where it's from because they know me and they also know I get these checks regularly. There are rules in place but rules can be bent or broken. But they're not going to do it for you if they don't trust you or have the need to.