How long does UPS/FedEx hold onto packages if delivery attempts were unsuccessful?

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I have a bunch of stuff I ordered coming home, but I won't be back for another couple weeks. And no one else is home till late afternoon/early evening.

I know if the 3 delivery attempts were unsuccesful they hold it at the distribution center, but how long do they do that? Forever? Do they send it back to the shipper?

RalphWiggum

Feb 20, 2001
They'll send you a notice in the email about the package and give you a last day to pick up before they send it back. I think the notice comes a few days after the last unsuccessful attempt and they give you a few days, so maybe a week or so after the last attempt before they send it back.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Cr@p. They wont let me change the shipping address since its already out.

Hmm, what to do, what to do...

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Only the sender can change the shipping address i think. Also, if they do change it, they are charged a fee. Why not just ask one of your family members to go pick it up for you at the holding depot? Or call UPS and tell them it's ok to leave it on the doorstep (if you're in a decent neighbourhood).

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
You can change the ship to address (at least with UPS) to a local address at no extra charge.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
I ordered online and they emailed me with the correct apt # but somehow in the shipping process they substituted a 3 for a 2 so it was going to the wrong floor. I called UPS and they changed it. I am not sure how successful the change will be though because I have yet to receive it today. The messages in the tracking system are very unusual though:

Date Time Location Activity

Aug 22, 2003 8:24 A.M. GAINESVILLE, FL, US APARTMENT NUMBER NEEDED, NOT DELIVERED;ADDRESS CORRECTED, DELIVERY RESCHEDULED
Aug 21, 2003 4:03 P.M. GAINESVILLE, FL, US DELIVERY CHANGE REQUEST TO BE PROCESSED;RECEIVER REQ. DELIVERY AT ALT ADDRESS
12:56 P.M. GAINESVILLE, FL, US RECEIVER NOT IN ON 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT