How long does it take to encode a cd to mp3

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
I have yet to do this and I am tired of swapping cds in and out of my portable cd player thats connected to my receiver.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
uhhhhh, try it and find out! Anything about a Pentium 2 can do it in better than real time, so I'd guess maybe 20 minutes on a Pentium 4. Maybe less. Depends on the MP3 quality, computer speed, how well your encoding program is written, what else you are doing on the computer, if you are reading directly from CD. All kinds of stuff....

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Depends on the speed of the computer as well as the quality you're encoding at. I'd say it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes, maybe an hour.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Depends on the quality you want.

Ripping using EAC can take 5-10 minutes at the highest quality settings, encoding is dependant on the quality selections & the speed of your CPU.

On my mid-range system (P4 @ 2.3 GHz, 512 MB) I can rip & encode a CD in under 20 minutes, even at the absolute highest quality settings.

Viper GTS

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
sorry I forgot to add teh specs, XP 1600+, 512 DDR. using LAME, at 192

Feb 10, 2000
Wow - you guys are really patient! I have tried using the EAC/LAME combo but it eventually drove me crazy, between its slowness, the cumbersome process of getting the ID3 tags, and the fact that they often had to be edited to satisfy my iPod. Now I just use Creative Playcenter 3, which can rip and encode a CD in about 1 minute (I use my Lite-On 16x DVD drive), and which generates ID3 tags that work perfectly on my iPod. I imagine someone will mock my inability to hear a difference between these MP3s and EAC/LAME ones, but, frankly, I don't hear it. I use 192, constant bitrate.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
Wow - you guys are really patient! I have tried using the EAC/LAME combo but it eventually drove me crazy, between its slowness, the cumbersome process of getting the ID3 tags, and the fact that they often had to be edited to satisfy my iPod. Now I just use Creative Playcenter 3, which can rip and encode a CD in about 1 minute (I use my Lite-On 16x DVD drive), and which generates ID3 tags that work perfectly on my iPod. I imagine someone will mock my inability to hear a difference between these MP3s and EAC/LAME ones, but, frankly, I don't hear it. I use 192, constant bitrate.

I'm going to feel free to call BS on that one. Unless it's a CD-single, I seriously doubt you can rip and encode an CD in a minute.

Oh, yes, and I mock your MP3 quality. :D

- M4H

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I would have to agree on the BS charge, even at only 30 minutes of audio per CD you would have to rip at an AVERAGE rate of 30X just to RIP the CD in one minute, let alone encode it.

I have the same DVD drive you do, & even when ripping without EAC's quality control it can't rip 30 mins of audio in 1 minute. Even the almighty Kenwood 72X would be hard pressed to rip 30 minutes of audio in <1 minute, even a full CD (thus getting peak transfer rates) took around 3 minutes to rip.

Did you mean one track perhaps?

Viper GTS

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001

a WHOLE cd in about a minute?

No way in hell.

Feb 10, 2000
OK, I admit I have never timed it, but it is 2 - 2 1/2 minutes tops. When I first got my iPod, I ripped about half my record collection (roughly 100 CDs) in an evening. When I tried using EAC/LAME, it was MUCH slower, and probably close to 15 minutes per CD.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
OK, I admit I have never timed it, but it is two minutes tops. When I first got my iPod, I ripped about half my record collection (roughly 100 CDs) in an evening.

Time it, I think you'll be surprised. The fastest DAE ever (Kenwood 72X) took longer than 2 mins just to rip a full disc, and that did not include encoding.

LiteOn LTD-163 Performance

In theory it could rip a full disc in ~2.5 minutes. If the software you're using can encode it in realtime then your 2-2.5 minute estimate may be close...

Viper GTS

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I dunno, maybe 10 minutes.

TDK 40x burner
WB 80GB SE
Dual 1800+ XPs
768 MB DDR Registered SDRAM

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
OK, I admit I have never timed it, but it is two minutes tops. When I first got my iPod, I ripped about half my record collection (roughly 100 CDs) in an evening.

Time it, I think you'll be surprised. The fastest DAE ever (Kenwood 72X) took longer than 2 mins just to rip a full disc, and that did not include encoding.

Viper GTS

Hmmm - I will time it when I get home. In all honesty, I am always doing other things at the same time, so it is possible it takes longer than two minutes. That said, I really did rip and encode 100 cds in well under 4 hours, so it can't be much more than that. Playcenter checks CDDB, rips and encodes all in one quick process, and it takes a tiny fraction of the time that EAC/LAME does. It seems to rip and encode faster than EAC rips, even leaving out the SLOW LAME encoding.

EDIT: I read the review you linked to before buying the drive, and it seems to support my belief that I am ripping/encoding in about one-two minutes. According to the review, the drive averages ~38x ripping, and most music CDs are around 45-50 minutes long. Playcenter rips and encodes simultaneously, and I have a nice fast machine. I am certain it takes less than 2 1/2 minutes, in any event.

tkdkid

Oct 13, 2000
3 to 4 minutes using mmjb @ 256 w/ liteon 40x burner (faster dae than my regular cdrom drive) and athlon xp 1600+. audio extraction speed stays at about 21x the whole time. Even then the processor is only being used about 40%.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Takes me a little over an hour to do an average CD with LAME/EAC alt-preset-standard on a 650Mhz Athlon. It's a secondary machine that I don't use for much else, so I don't care about the speed. Just set it, and forget it!