How long does it take for an engine block heater to warm up a cold engine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ddeder, Jan 28, 2004.

1. ddeder

ddeder Golden Member

It is 18 below zero out and my truck will not start. I plugged in the engine block heater over an hour ago and it still will not start. It barely turns over. I suppose the battery needs a jump but I wonder if is just because the engine is so cold...

2. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

Well, I'm guessing the cold may have gotten to the battery as well. I would look into getting a blanket to keep the battery warmer.

EDIT: I know little and am just offering some common sense advice as it never goes under 40 here;)

3. GalvanizedYankee

GalvanizedYankee Diamond Member

In trucking a plastic covered heating element is used under the battery at those temps.
    Sometimes they never shut em' off. A battery is a chemical reaction as I'm sure you know.
    Take the battery out and charge it in the house, put it in while still warm, if you can.
    Cover the engine with a blanket over cardboard and put the heating element on a
    properly rated timer. If you have an electric hot stove place it close to the oil pan and
    check the dip stick temp every once in awhile, till its warm. I've seen pics of the Brass Monkey m/c meet and thats how they heat the oil. DO NOT leave it unattended.

I haven't seen frost yet this year.....

4. MacBaine

MacBaine Banned

You should plug it in before it get's that cold

5. PowerMac4Ever

PowerMac4Ever Banned

I'm glad I have my NOS fogger kit... prevents these kinds of problems.

6. RU482

RU482 Lifer

I'm sorry, but how does a blanket help the battery out?

7. WinkOsmosis

WinkOsmosis Banned

Makes it cosy? Yeah I don't see how a blanket will do much since batteries don't produce any heat.

8. Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi Lifer

When batteries get cold, the voltage will often drop. If you've ever heard battery ratings of CCA or Cold Cranking Amps.... This is what determines the output of your battery while the alternator isn't assisting. If the battery sits in the cold for extended periods of time and it's not strong enough, it won't get the required voltage to the starter. At 18 degrees below zero, the metal on the starter motor may even be frozen stiff.

A battery blanket is usually something sold by the car manufacturer. It's not REALLY a blanket, though it would get a similar effect. It's simply an insulator to protect the battery from the elements and to keep the core from freezing up.

9. Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi Lifer

Just a suggestion: For those conditions, build an igloo and park your truck in there.

10. IamElectro

IamElectro Golden Member

I thought you were supposed to leave them plugged in when parking during cold really weather (overnight).

11. db

db Diamond Member

Right, keep plugged in at all times. The engine turns easier, but as mentioned above, the battery is still compromised by itself being cold.

12. Eli

Eli Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

What kind of oil do you have in 'er?

That's a sign that you aren't using the right viscosity.

Switch to synthetic.

13. db

db Diamond Member

Yeah, synthetic definately makes a difference for cold-starting.