How long does it take bruised/broken ribs to heal, anyway?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I realize asking a doctor would be better than asking here, but then I'd have to call my insurance company, get a list of doctors, research them, pick one as my primary care physician, schedule an appointment and time off work to go to it, and then show up and wait for an hour, and then he'd be able to tell me that they don't really do anything to treat bruised(or broken) ribs anyway.

It'd be easier to say: Have you bruised or broken any ribs? How long did it take before it felt normal again?

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
It hurts to just breath. It took a while, for me at least. Just bruises, but I seem to remember them taking at least a couple long weeks before I could shrug the pain off.

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003
I cracked a rib a year ago and it took a couple months before I was completely back to normal. Just whatever you do, do NOT sneeze or cough - I almost passed out from the pain a couple times. I've given birth, and this pain was worse...

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I dunno, but my girlfriend fell while we were playing around outside in the freezing rain...

Landed hard on her right knee/side. She says her kneecap still hurts with certain pressures and movements.. and it was 4 months ago.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Depends.

I cracked a rib when I was in college. Took about 2 1/2 weeks to heal before I accidently aggravated it, which took another 2-3 weeks to heal.
But I think had I not aggravated it would have healed in about 4 weeks.

I got into a car accident and broken 3 ribs and those took around 6-8 weeks to heal completely.

Every time I have bruised ribs, usually they are better in about 2 weeks.

All depends on how badly hurt the ribs are.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
If the ribs were injured during a confrontation with half dead wraiths on weather top, I have it on good authority that the wound will never fully heal.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Bruised/broke ribs playing basketball once. Doc didn't bother with x-rays b/c the treatment would be the same (don't do anything strenuous). Several weeks before it was substantially better.

You really should at least pick out a PCP for your insurance, even if you don't go for this.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Be more careful not to drop them when moving them from the grill to the plate. Just wipe off any dust/dirt, and any bruises will probably not effect the taste.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
My dad had his hurt probably 7 years ago by a guy who gave him a huge bear hug as a joke at work and to this day they still bother him. It really depends on how bad they were hurt.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
I realize asking a doctor would be better than asking here, but then I'd have to call my insurance company, get a list of doctors, research them, pick one as my primary care physician, schedule an appointment and time off work to go to it, and then show up and wait for an hour, and then he'd be able to tell me that they don't really do anything to treat bruised(or broken) ribs anyway.

It'd be easier to say: Have you bruised or broken any ribs? How long did it take before it felt normal again?

I've had bruised ribs a few times, caused by biking, and there is nothing they can do but give you Vicodin. It takes a few weeks. In my case roughly a month each time.

Aug 16, 2001
I can verify the pain. It hurts like a MOFO.
I actually passed out in the kitchen making a sandwich. A sudden wrong move while spreading butter will knock you out cold.

I woke up with knifes, bread, butter, ham and tomatoes all over the place. :Q

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
I actually passed out in the kitchen making a sandwich. A sudden wrong move while spreading butter will knock you out cold.

:laugh:

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Eli
I dunno, but my girlfriend fell while we were playing around outside in the freezing rain...

Landed hard on her right knee/side. She says her kneecap still hurts with certain pressures and movements.. and it was 4 months ago.

girlfriend? what happened to fiancee?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Bruised ribs from 3 to 4 weeks.
Cracked up to 5 (drink lots of milk, calcium you know)
Broken - tape them up, don't puncture a lung, 5 - 6 Weeks
Torn Cartilage between ribs - Tape them up, really hurts for a long time, 8 -12 weeks.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: Eli

girlfriend? what happened to fiancee?
Technically his fiancee is his girlfriend ;)

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003

Your a wuss.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: eigen

Your a wuss.

Sure whatever LOL.

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by: eigen

Your a wuss.

Sure whatever LOL.

Check your batteries.