How Long Do Xbox Consoles Last?

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Since my Xbox Pro, purchased in Dec 2007 looks like it's getting ready to cough cookies, I was wondering; generally speaking, how long to Xbox consoles last? Do the newer 360S models last longer than the older ones like I have?

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
give it plenty of room to breathe and don't block the ports that get rid of the hot air

a lot of the issues were people putting it into small spaces where it blocked air flow

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
give it plenty of room to breathe and don't block the ports that get rid of the hot air
It's got plenty of breathing room and has a Nyko Intercooler on the back. I know overheating will shorten the unit's life, I'm wondering when the thing is just flat out used up. I thought the DVD drive would be the first thing to die, but these older consoles seem to have that RROD problem.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
random i think. some people have new consoles fail still while others have launch xboxs still running

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
random i think. some people have new consoles fail still while others have launch xboxs still running

Just like anything else in the world. Ive had 3 go tits up on me but the one I have now has lasted over 2 years. It just varies.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I recently made a fourth one from the 3 dead consoles I had prior. Was thinking of getting a slim version.

OptimumSlinky

Nov 3, 2009
My Jasper-model old-body 360 is going on its third year with no issues. I also have the new S-model, and it hasn't had a single problem. I personally recommend getting an S-model, as the larger fan seems very effective at clearing heat out of the system and the built-in WiFi and extra USB ports are nice.

EDIT: Had two previous ones go RROD. First was a launch 360, second a launch Elite.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Assume it will fail in the first 6 months to a year, because many of them do. Playstations tend to last a bit longer but they're garbage too. If you're worried about longevity just wait for the Wii U or build a gaming PC. I don't know why people don't just go to PC honestly, consoles have all the same headaches now with all the updates and hacks and BS.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I don't know why people don't just go to PC honestly, consoles have all the same headaches now with all the updates and hacks and BS.
Because we want to play more than 1-3 games a year and not have to deal with "OMG, my video is sooooo last year, I cant play with it anymore"

I was a die-hard-consoles-suck PC gamer for 20+ years and gave it up because consoles, at least for me, just did what I wanted it to do. Turn it on, kick back on my comfy couch and play a damn fine game. My PC plays games too but its not comfy having the monitor so close to my face and even tho my chair is comfy my couch is more so.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I have an elite I got in... 2008? Maybe 2009? It was when the 120gb elite was the thing.

It runs loud but still works without issue (it's always been loud). I just recently got a Slim w/connect and its WAY quieter and is a bit faster startup. It has made me consider buying another and putting my 120gb from my elite into it.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention - I have a release Pro (20gb white) that was fixed by MS when it RROD after a year or 2. It still works and my little bro uses it a few times a week. I think it gets used daily for Netflix now too.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I forgot to mention - I have a release Pro (20gb white) that was fixed by MS when it RROD after a year or 2. It still works and my little bro uses it a few times a week. I think it gets used daily for Netflix now too.
I've been thinking about getting a new 360S and give the Xbox Pro to my friend who is trying to get out from under a cable TV bill.

I think with the older Xbox models, like I have, you are fortunate if you don't have one of the many problems they seemed to have had, but they aren't going to last forever. You may get 5-6 years out of them, maybe more, but after 3-4 years, I think you may be on borrowed time...

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I imagine the new slim ones should last a while.

I went through my first 2 from RROD in 2007 and 2008, despite plenty of good airflow. Thank goodness for Costco's return policy. My most recent white Jasper unit had the DVD drive die, so that survived ~4 years.

The hassle of replacing the locked-down DVD drive wasn't worth it to me. Hopefully the DVD drive on my new slim doesn't die within the next few/several years.

Last edited:

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Assume it will fail in the first 6 months to a year, because many of them do. Playstations tend to last a bit longer but they're garbage too. If you're worried about longevity just wait for the Wii U or build a gaming PC. I don't know why people don't just go to PC honestly, consoles have all the same headaches now with all the updates and hacks and BS.

Someone is a bit Jaded....

I have 3 X360s my halo 3 one has yet to fail ever. The two others have failed 3 times each RROD. Then another’s DVD drive started getting bad so I replaced that through Microsoft. It really is his hit and miss. I would say overall X360 reliability is wanting and has some QC issues.

Meanwhile my 2 LAUNCH PS3s never have had any problem at all and are still going strong.

My PC's generally eventually fail in the power supply department after a few years. But that's an easy fix; either gets a new PSU or RMA the old one.

Electronics these days are fun. I’m not complaining.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I just went to GS to price used 360s. 115 for a preowned beige one. The newer slims cost to much $$$ for me to pick up a 5th xbox, I will stick with my frankenBox until the next gen. They also said I couldnt just buy the 200 bare slim model and rip out my old 360 HD and mount it in the slim. Is this true? Would the HD (inside the shell) be a standard SATA laptop drive?

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
They also said I couldnt just buy the 200 bare slim model and rip out my old 360 HD and mount it in the slim. Is this true?
Although it can be done, it is a violation of Xbox policy and could lead to a console ban.

Would the HD (inside the shell) be a standard SATA laptop drive?
I'm sure it is, but I bet it has firmware that would not allow you to use it as a regular hard drive. Maybe the firmware can be reflashed. 250G is small by today's standards, my laptop has a 500G HD, none of the hard drives I use with my computers, except for a 120G SSD, are 1TB or larger.

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
1 Elite Falcon died around 2 years, video artifact symptoms without actual RROD. 2 Jaspers going strong, but they share the play time.

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
My launch xbox from 2002 still runs and looks like new but I take care of my stuff too.. :D

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
My launch xbox from 2002 still runs and looks like new but I take care of my stuff too.. :D

Same here. Although if I remember correctly, the original Xboxes had a significant number that had some off-brand DVD drive that would routinely fail within a couple of years. I don't know how long that was an issue, but I do remember it effecting a large number of launch-era Xbox units.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Well, I just bought a refurbed slim for 249. Gonna transfer my old HD data to it and sell my 3 old non-working 360s as spare parts to someone. Hopefully the refurb will last until next gen.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I went through 3 of the original models, each failed within a year. I got the Slim when it first came out, it has been rock solid ever since.

ShadowVVL

May 1, 2010
Ive noticed the newer consoles dont last long. A friends of mines ps3 died after 3 years and now he just got another one.He also went through 2 boxes in 4 years and both of our old as hell ps2's are still running strong since.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Because we want to play more than 1-3 games a year and not have to deal with "OMG, my video is sooooo last year, I cant play with it anymore"

I was a die-hard-consoles-suck PC gamer for 20+ years and gave it up because consoles, at least for me, just did what I wanted it to do. Turn it on, kick back on my comfy couch and play a damn fine game. My PC plays games too but its not comfy having the monitor so close to my face and even tho my chair is comfy my couch is more so.

Most TV's built in this century have inputs for you to plug your computer into it. Wierd post man.