How long did it take you to learn to ice skate?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
DON'T DO IT!

You'll get blisters and won't be able to ice skate on the date!

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It's the amount of hours, not the amount of times you go. I think you'll be fine after a few hours of practice before the date. It'll make the date more interesting if she's better than you anyway... something to talk about and laugh over.

Anyway, if you've skated before, your brain can pick it up again. Like riding a bike.

It didn't take me long, I did it for hockey so I had a lot of motivation.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MrCodeDude
Hockey skates > Figure skates

Hockey skates you don't have to stand completely upright to keep your balance or whatnot. I never liked Figure skates.
-- mrcodedude
Definitely. My fiance bought her own pair of figure skates but when she rented hockey skates (after losing her own), she said the hockey skates were so much better. Wollman rink in NYC started renting out hockey skates after Trump took it over... FYI.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: littlegohan
So after today's pratice, I can now skate at a pretty slow speed and turn. But I cant stop..............................

I only fall a couple times which is all good. Yeah, falling on ur back sux..

Any tips on how to stop?

Don't try the fancy schmancy hockey sideways stop like you'll see the better people doing. Your feet will come out from underneath you and you'll smash your head against the ice. :) Just do a plow like they do in skiing - putting your feet into a V form. But somewhat different - allow one of your feet to grind against the ice. It's a very slow way to stop, but it'll slow you down so you don't smack the boards too hard.
I'd recommend the T-stop when you first start out. Your stronger leg should remain going forward (for balance) while your other foot is closely dragged perpendicular behind it. You'll have to play around with variable pressure to feel comfortable doing it though. It's not practical, but can get the job done if you REALLY need to stop.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
It took me about 2 loops around the rink to get used to the balance. After that I was good to go, just a little shaky.

styelers

Apr 16, 2003
yeah if you know how to rollerblade, ice skating shouldnt be hard. i learned to ice skate in 30 mins. did it myself, no help. just hold on the railing and skate along the railing. ice skating is fun, hope you have fun on your date.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
About 5mins. I've been playing roller hockey the past 6yrs, so it was a natural transition

dexter333

Oct 9, 2000
If you have a pair of roller blades where you can change teh wheel height, make the front and rear wheels higher than the middle two. Ice skating isn't hard at all. Also, to the guy that said to always lean forward, never lean forward if you're doing a hockey stop or you'll fall :)

And for how long, like 20 mins. But I work at an ice rink so I skate all the time.