How long can you hold your breath?

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mobobuff
I got 2 minutes and 10 seconds before my lungs started to hurt :D

Try it!

used to do this as a child during the summers with my friends.

Dead mans float 3:25

bottom of an 8ft pool around 2 mins.

I wonder how many brain cells I killed over the years :(

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: JoeKing
I got 2 minutes and 10 seconds before my lungs started to hurt :D

Try it!

used to do this as a child during the summers with my friends.

Dead mans float 3:25

bottom of an 8ft pool around 2 mins.

I wonder how many brain cells I killed over the years :(

Under water my lung capacity drops like 75% :( I freak out and use way too much oxygen. I could probably only hold my breath for 30 seconds under water.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yah the secret is relaxing everything, Even your thoughts. I think I even developed the ability to control my heart rate at one point.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
yah the secret is relaxing everything, Even your thoughts. I think I even developed the ability to control my heart rate at one point.

That's a nice trick to know how to do. I'm a little claustrophobic so that probably doesn't help. I didn't learn how to swim properly until I was 12 :(

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The secret is to hyper ventilate before taking a normal breath and then holding it, this saturates the blood and allows your lungs to continue working while you are not breathing, taking a really deep breath and puffing your lungs up wont help, it will actually decrease the time you can hold.

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
Pretty long when I was diving and snorkling. I actually almost killed myself working on lung capacity. I was doing underwater laps progressing the length and span, then one of the times I went to long and started to black out and reached for the side and got one breath and then blacked out. Luckily that oxygen was enogh for me to recover without drowning. I was like 13 at the time and unsupervised. BUt at the time I could do 50ft free dives. Pretty fun to go where people are scuba diving and swim down to them with no tank because it always freaks them out.

Sep 29, 2004
When I was younger, over a minute, but that was while swimming at the same time.

Navy Seals can hold it for 5 minutes!

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Yossarian451
Pretty long when I was diving and snorkling. I actually almost killed myself working on lung capacity. I was doing underwater laps progressing the length and span, then one of the times I went to long and started to black out and reached for the side and got one breath and then blacked out. Luckily that oxygen was enogh for me to recover without drowning. I was like 13 at the time and unsupervised. BUt at the time I could do 50ft free dives. Pretty fun to go where people are scuba diving and swim down to them with no tank because it always freaks them out.

Did your ears pop every time or did your body adjust over time?

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
Originally posted by: Yossarian451

Did your ears pop every time or did your body adjust over time?

You clear your ears. Basically hold your nose and gently try to blow, they will pop. But at the time I could actually clear them but basically swallowing, it pulls the right muscles to open the area and clear them.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
While doing the dead mans float after a big breath i can hold for about 1 minute 10 secs. I want to try the hyperventilating thing though.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Slacker
The secret is to hyper ventilate before taking a normal breath and then holding it, this saturates the blood and allows your lungs to continue working while you are not breathing, taking a really deep breath and puffing your lungs up wont help, it will actually decrease the time you can hold.

Of course hyperventilating is a must. I remeber for the 8ft dives I would have to go under with 1/3 of a breath or I would spend too much energy trying to stay on the bottom.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Schrodinger
How exactly do you induce hyperventilation? Just breath in and out rapidly for a minute?

Yeah, saturates the blood with oxygen. I just tried it and got 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

Schrodinger

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Schrodinger
How exactly do you induce hyperventilation? Just breath in and out rapidly for a minute?

Yeah, saturates the blood with oxygen. I just tried it and got 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

How long should you hyperventilate for, before doing this?