How Long Can The Republican Party Do Without Young People?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nice straw man, complete with Cold War "Left!" framing.

American Progressives and Liberals are only "Left!" of America's increasingly Reactionary Right. Having "access to people in other countries" only reinforces the truth of that. There is no significant "Left" in American politics, just Reactionary Repub billionaires & their base of Teahadists vs the rest of us, more accurately described as shades of moderates.

It's not that Progressives see America as a bad place, but rather as one that can be better for the vast majority of citizens. Contrary to the illusions cast by conservative pundits, it never was overall "better" in the past. At best, it was different, and not a place where we can or should return.

What I think is most interesting is that those on the right today are the ones who consider America a bad place. You so frequently hear how our country is overrun by lazy moochers, illegal immigrants, is becoming communist,etc. It seems quite clear to me that the right strongly dislikes America as it is.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What I think is most interesting is that those on the right today are the ones who consider America a bad place. You so frequently hear how our country is overrun by lazy moochers, illegal immigrants, is becoming communist,etc. It seems quite clear to me that the right strongly dislikes America as it is.
The right very much like America but fear we will not like what it is being turned into. The left very much dislike America but feel you might be able to turn it into something you will like.

Conservative = resistant to change. People do not resist changing things they do not like, or wish to change things they do like.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So by your logic if you oppose NSA spying you strongly dislike America as it is :rolleyes:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Contrary to the illusions cast by conservative pundits, it never was overall "better" in the past. At best, it was different, and not a place where we can or should return.

And this is where I can see the conservative philosophy having a future. The left is too concerned with social change and equality while most people are focused on their own economic prosperity and standard of living.

For many Americans, this is the first generation where the children are worse off than the parents. This proves without a doubt that America was better at some point in the way that matter the most to them.

The liberal refusal to deal with globalization or the angst of those who yearn for old times of more prosperity is a disconnect with the average American. If conservatives can tap into that angst and yearning than even youth will support conservative fiscal policy if it is not tied to the dead weight that is social conservative policy.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Nice straw man, complete with Cold War "Left!" framing.

American Progressives and Liberals are only "Left!" of America's increasingly Reactionary Right. Having "access to people in other countries" only reinforces the truth of that. There is no significant "Left" in American politics, just Reactionary Repub billionaires & their base of Teahadists vs the rest of us, more accurately described as shades of moderates.

It's not that Progressives see America as a bad place, but rather as one that can be better for the vast majority of citizens. Contrary to the illusions cast by conservative pundits, it never was overall "better" in the past. At best, it was different, and not a place where we can or should return.

Standard of living is now lower. You are a lost cause though so good luck to you and your endeavors. When your raise (if you got one) doesn't even cover the higher healthcare costs yet alone all the other bills that rose, your standard of living is now one notch lower. End of story. How is that better for everyone exactly?

All the giving to group X from group Y for reason Z is taking its toll.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
The liberal refusal to deal with globalization or the angst of those who yearn for old times of more prosperity is a disconnect with the average American. If conservatives can tap into that angst and yearning than even youth will support conservative fiscal policy if it is not tied to the dead weight that is social conservative policy.

The Republicans have a problem. If they come out and start opposing Global Labor Arbitrage, they will also be opposing free market economics (by opposing free trade). Also, they would be opposing the economic interests of many of their backers, the top 5% and big businesses.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Oh ya, because you see so many Conservatives comparing us to other countries. Oh wait, that's the Liberals. But Germany has this, and Scandinavia and Canada have that.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
The Republicans have a problem. If they come out and start opposing Global Labor Arbitrage, they will also be opposing free market economics (by opposing free trade). Also, they would be opposing the economic interests of many of their backers, the top 5% and big businesses.

Well yeah Republicans won't do that because it won't save the middle class. The rich and productive would abandon America in droves and the unemployment rate would stay above 10% for a generation.

No, the answer is enabling the middle class over the poor, the young over the old. Dump money into college scholarships and corporate taxes incentives tied to middle class job creation. Stop dumping as much money into Medicaid, Medicare, welfare and a large standing army.