How long can someone hang upside-down before they lose consciousness and die?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

THELAIR

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
trout, how tall are you now at 17?

At 17 you still have a few more years left of growing spurts.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
good lord, howshort are u? its not going to work. why do you think height treatments require bone breakage with big ass metal stretching limb frame things. u'd think they'd simply hang u upside down if that were easier:p

no, u gotta go the painful route if its going to work:p hanging upside down probably stresses joints etc in ways unintended.

boi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2002
I can't even hang upside down for an hour, let alone sleep like that. Like everyone said, you will just reverse the effects when you stand back up again.
:)

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
This sort of reminds me of an old "Wings" episode. Anybody remember the episode where Brian dated the female cop to get Joe out of a ticket? At the end she hung him upside down in the hangar. Man.....I miss Wings. :( Sorry...not trying to hijack the thread! It's just funny how things you read can remind you of things that you saw on TV.

jcwagers

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Gravity Inversion is awesome if you have back or neck problems. I don't like the dizziness I get, but the relief on my L4/L5/S1 is exhilirating!!!! :Q

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Evadman
Originally posted by: Citrix
somebody please tell me how hanging upside down will help him grow?

Gravity will pull on him instead of crushing him. But this is something I have never heard about. Sounds kinda assine to me. All this will do is pull your bones apart a little, but they will settle back naturaly AFAIK.

Yes, the natural effect of gravity pulling on your spine compressed the length of it, causing what we think of as "shrinking with age." So people have things called "gravity boots," which you clip to your ankles and hang upside down for periods of time to work against the gravity. Bodybuilders do it, too, and it's supposedly very relaxing. I've personally never tried it, though.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
i got stuck upside down for about 25 minutes once at Dave and Buster's acrade.. the roller coaster simulation broke with mysellf and my brother upside down in it.. they ended up giving us like 20 dollars worth of credits, but my shoulder definlty hurt after we got out... should have made a lawsuit out of it ;)

-Bubbadu

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Gravity Inversion is awesome if you have back or neck problems. I don't like the dizziness I get, but the relief on my L4/L5/S1 is exhilirating!!!! :Q

Really? IIRC, we have the same problem. I've never tried it since, when I pull myself up and have my lower body pulling down on my spine, I can(and anyone who puts their hand on my lower back) feel my discs pop around and even out of place, and it's pretty damn painful. :( I wonder if the boots would be different.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
IMHO, the only thing that has a chance @ making you taller is human growth hormone & unless you find an incompetent physician who'll actually prescribe it, you're stuck with what mother nature did to your genetics @ the moment of your conception.

Take a multivitamin & get some exercise, be healthy & accept what the roll of the genetic dice gave you:)

HGH

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: SuperTool
It depends on the person how long, but don't sleep upside down. You probably don't want to find out how long it takes to have a stroke. There is also a matter of food going the wrong way.

I saw on Mr. Wizard that if you stand on your head and eat food, it'll go the right way! God that Mr. Wizard was a sexy beast

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: rawoutput
Originally posted by: SuperTool
It depends on the person how long, but don't sleep upside down. You probably don't want to find out how long it takes to have a stroke. There is also a matter of food going the wrong way.

I saw on Mr. Wizard that if you stand on your head and eat food, it'll go the right way! God that Mr. Wizard was a sexy beast

That's true. Your esophagus pushes the food down/up to your stomach.