How long can someone hang upside-down before they lose consciousness and die?

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
I'm doing inversion to help me grow, and I was just wondering how easy it is for me to kill myself while doing it. Could I safely sleep upside down?
Neglect the possibility of me falling on my head and breaking my neck.

SoylentGreen

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
rolleye.gif
I don't know what else to say.

If you want to make yourself grow, hang weights off your wang

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
When i was younger, i used to stand on my head for an hour at a time.. multiple times a day. My friend and i would have hand/head standing contests.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
I dont think you could.
I guess it is possible. You would get a lot of blood to your head, so in theory you could suffer from Cerebral Edema...
I dont know though....

SoylentGreen

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: TwinkleToes77
When i was younger, i used to stand on my head for an hour at a time.. multiple times a day. My friend and i would have hand/head standing contests.
Is that how you got the name twinkle toes?

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It depends on the person how long, but don't sleep upside down. You probably don't want to find out how long it takes to have a stroke. There is also a matter of food going the wrong way.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
somebody please tell me how hanging upside down will help him grow?

Gravity will pull on him instead of crushing him. But this is something I have never heard about. Sounds kinda assine to me. All this will do is pull your bones apart a little, but they will settle back naturaly AFAIK.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
I would think hanging, upside down OR rightside up would do the same thing. Laying flat your body lenghtens, and while standing ones body shrinks. Good ole gravity. If you measure yourself at the begining of the day, then work all day (assuming you stand alot) and measure yourself at the end of the day, you will have shrunk by just a smidgen. So, if he hangs, gravity will stretch his body. I think you could get maybe half an inch in a year of doing it. So, why not hang rightside up?

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
do you have to hang upside down? doesn't hanging right side up still have the same (albeit slightly reduced) effect?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think it should/will kill you, assuming you're healthy. Your heart would just have to work harder to pump your blood into your legs... Just as it has to work harder to pump it into your head while your standing.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Somebody tell me how the hell he plans on hanging upside down all night? Some sort of velcro boots or anti-gravity potion?

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Somebody tell me how the hell he plans on hanging upside down all night? Some sort of velcro boots or anti-gravity potion?

There are exercise machines that hang you upside down. It's actually a bar and some special boots but I've seen one before. I would not waste your time hanging updside down trout, as all your progress would be lost by standing uprigt in a matter of hours because all you could possibly be doing is elongating tissues, hanging upside down could not premote bone growth in any way. You'd probably be better off taking calcium and vitamins
rolleye.gif

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
Yeah, I'm gonna be using these things called gravity boots. I've heard from a lot of people on http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/72320
that inversion works to some degree, and since I'm only 17, it could work better for me.
As far as I know you can't hang right side up because you would suffocate like Jesus did on the cross (this fact has been confirmed by history teachers). Plus it would hurt your shoulder joints immensely.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
You could hang right side up, but I'd think a body is heavier in the upper-body area, which means more weight to pull on the legs with (as opposed to trying to stretch the upper body with leg weight).

My opinion:

Start pumping roids, grow a badass mullet, and yell at everybody that looks at you and you won't need to get any taller.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
I heard guys that travel into space return taller. I'm not sure if the effects are temporary or not but it's the same concept you're trying to achieve although they are doing it 24/7

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
You wont grow, but you will get taller for the short term.

The spine will lengthen a bit because the lack of gravity compressing the discs, but then you have to stand on your feet, and reverse it.

Much of the construction of your circulatory is based on the fact that your brain is above your heart. Using gravity to fight this principle can't be good in the long run.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Am I the only one who finds his reason for wanting to hang upside down completely hilarious? :D

bsd

Banned
Oct 31, 2002
Originally posted by: woodie1
Answer: 3 years, 2 months, 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours. Approximately.

er, no.

it takes about 2 days before the blood pressure on your brain starts to chefe, and you die from a heammorage(?) a day or so later.