How long can broken bones fester before being treated?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Fathom4, as much as I would like to see a physician about this, $500 to $700 is more than double the amount of money I have to my name right now. I'm doing pretty well, but that is far more than I can afford to spend.

My options are either to put myself into even more serious debt, or wait until November 1 and have my company pay for it. I'm doing quite well, compared to a year ago, but there's not a chance in hell that I could actually afford that kind of money right now. Life sucks, but I'm making the best of it that I can. I'm fully prepared fo the consequences; while I'm not happy about it, I know that I have no choice but to accept it.

Before you judge, I suggest you walk a mile in my shoes.

alferret

Aug 9, 2000
i broke my thumb a few years ago and didnt get it seen to at all, i thought i was just badly bruised, i had an x-ray on the same thumb when my nail got ripped off and they asked me about the break, i dont suffer any problems with it apart from when i knock it it hurts like hell, if the swelling has gone down and the bruising is going and you cant move it then its a break if you can move its probrably a badly bruised bone
either way get it looked at

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
It appears that what you are saying is that 700 dollars right now is worth more to you then the effective use of your thumb for the rest of your life. As mentioned before in this thread, if you don't get it checked out fast it will start to heal and you will basically be screwed. 700 bucks may seem like a lot right now but if you don't get it fixed right you'll be saying "what the fvck was I thinking?!" for the rest of your life.

Fathom4

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2000
reitz I've worn holes in those shoes so I know exactly where you're coming from. I remember living on PB & J sandwiches for 3 days until payday with absolutely zero cash to my name and siphoning gas from the wife's car to have enough to get to work.

What I'm trying to get you to understand is exaclty what Napalm381 said. I don't want you looking back in 5 years when you either have limited use of your thumb or it's painful to use, and saying how stupid it was to not get it looked at, and regretting that decision the rest of your life.

Borrow the money from family, friends, your employer, a credit card or talk to the doctor and tell him you'll pay it off in installments.

BUT GET THE DAMN THING LOOKED AT!

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm the broken bone expert of these forums :), after all i suffered 22 broken bones in an accident i had. When i had my accident i had to wait 3 days for the surgury's to begin as they had to get me stablized. If you do wait a week you may need surgury to get calcium buildup removed if they have to reset it. I recommend going to your Doctor though, its a small price to pay to avoid having a deformed or removed thumb due to possible complications.

sd

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I've given my professional advice here, I'm done with this thread.

Buddha Bart

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I broke my thumb in a lacrosse game once.
It got really large and purple, but never any shade of green.
It also wasn't at any particularly unnatural angle.

So i never went to a doctor. Its fine now (2 years later). Just the part of my palm where your thumb meets the rest is a little larger (only noticable to me because I know about it)

bart

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
We went from trying to help him to insulting him and back. Let him alone, he is a big boy. He doesnt need his thumb to type! :D;)

Underclocked

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Have someone grab your thumb and yank real hard every couple of days until the insurance kicks in.
This won't help, but will surely get you to go the Doctor. ;)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
it should've been treated immediately

bones will heal wrong unless something is done asap.

i suppose you can let it heal wrong, and the break it again later.

Buddha Bart

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just FYI: there are cases of somthing within the bone (i think marrow) floating into the blood stream and casuing strokes.

bart