How long before it hangs?.......

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
I bought a 700E cb0 thats gaurenteed (sp) to do 933 but I have been at 868 for a few weeks now because I was worried that my 770 ultra and/or my ram(Corsair PC100) wouldn't be able to cut the 133 FSB. It did 120 with the ram at CAS2 but to get to 124 I had to go to CAS3. So this mornin I thought I would try it so I set it to 133 and it booted right up and loaded windows no problem with default voltage. I only kept it there for a few minutes as I was trying to figure out a internet problem.

Question is , when will I know if it won't cut the mustard. If it boots am I good to go or do I need to try some games, let SETI run, just leave it be for a few hours? What's the best way to test it out.

thanks.

subhuman

Aug 24, 2000
prime95 and sandra, quake3 loop, seti. use them all for a couple hours, if its stable, you're set, if not, add a golden orb (personal choice due to low noise) or alpha, raise the voltage a little, and repeat.

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
If you're only wondering about the AGP and SDRAM speeds (and you know the CPU can handle it) you can pretty much skip Prime95 and those.

Play some games. Open Quake 3 or something and crank the resolution up a bit and let it run for an hour.

Sandra can do some decent 'synthetic' testing, but things like Quade and 3dmark are the most brutal on the system. Especially with a TNT2 vid card- lots of data going thru the bus to the AGP card...

Eric

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
Sweet , thanks for the advice. subhuman, I have me a Gorb also.

well I'm off to see what she can do...:)

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
Ok, here are some preliminary results. It booted and I ran some Half-Life for about 20 minutes with no problems. I then went out side and just now when I came in it was hung...

It ran for over 2 hours as a SETI unit was almost done when I booted it and now when I restarted it had done about 2 hours of another unit.

So it must have been stable for that long but I'm wondering if my RAM just gave out after awhile...Any clues?

overdoze

Aug 16, 2000
did you up the volt to 1.70V, 1.75 etc. I got a chip only running stable at 1.7V and not higher or lower ain't that wierd?

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
I left the voltage stock. Since I restarted it a while ago it has been fine for over 4 hours. How do you know that you need to add voltage? Is there something I need to look for?

subhuman

Aug 24, 2000
hangs == you need more voltage or more cooling. that's a sweet chip, most of the ones i have had need 1.7v to get 933 stable. well, maybe you do too.. ;-)

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bud, that cpu is doing good if at default voltage. All indicators are that you could use a tad more..just to 1.7 or 1.75. That's not drastic and shouldnt result in much more heat. :)

Losty

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
dude...i ran all those programs before...ran fine for a day...but try cpu stability 6.0
this caused a blue screen after 13 hrs on my system...
and at other times...my system wouldn't wake up...so i decided it wasn't stable...